Register now to get rid of these ads!

Middle aged guy with a 1954 Dodge Pickup

Discussion in 'New to the H.A.M.B.? Introduce yourself here!' started by RoadRaceJosh, Nov 12, 2016.

1. RoadRaceJosh

RoadRaceJosh

I thought I had registered here years ago, but the system had no record of my e-mail address so here I am as a 'new' member. I know a fair bit about slant 6 Dodge and Plymouth cars, less about that era trucks and comparatively little about my '54 C1-B8. But I'm learning. I make my living in communications electronics and vehicle electrical systems don't bother me one bit. Except when they do. ;)

I used to road race a 1966 Dodge Dart with Cascade Sports Car Club in Portland, Oregon, but gave it up due to the time and expense.

I picked up the '54 Dodge about a year ago. It's been sitting probably 30 years, but aside from the floor in front of the seat it's very solid. The idea is to do a few mechanical upgrades to make driving and stopping more pleasant, rewire it and drive it as the mood strikes.

The trucks doors are lettered:
    M.V.
    Neuman
    Inc.
    Painting Contractor
    Phone 753-7142 Corvallis

The bed sides read:
    Painting in Corvallis since 1925.

The 241 poly runs, but spits back very lightly through the carburetor. I'm hoping this clears up with some running as the offending valves and seats get to know each other a little better after some years apart.

I found the brakes to be terribly archaic with 2 adjustments per shoe and double wheel cylinders on the rear axle. The front axle now has the Scarebird disc conversion and the rear end was replaced with one from a 1970 Dodge D100 which has the same self-adjusting 10x2.5" brakes as used through 1984. I have yet to choose a master cylinder and complete the brake plumbing.

The 3-speed transmission was removed and will be replaced by a New Process NP445 (aka NP4530). This is synchronized in all forward gears 4-speed. The bell housing is at a machinist friend's shop having the input bearing retainer hole bored out to accept the new transmission. After that's done I will locate, drill and tap the new transmission's bolt pattern on the bell. The flywheel appears to have the common '60s and '70s clutch cover bolt pattern so I'm upgrading the 10" clutch to a 10.5". That reminds me, I want to have the flywheel resurfaced today.

That's plenty for now. Thanks for being here!

Attached Files:

2. Bells Dodge

Bells Dodge

Welcome again Joshua. Your project sounds like a good one. I had a 54 years ago and the worst part of it was running the stock brakes and having a worn out stock front axle setup. Everything in my 52 has been upgraded so it is a lot more fun to drive.
    Keep pictures of your build coming.

3. SuperDaveK

SuperDaveK

Howdy Joshua.
    I'm new here too. I have a 1949 B1C that is bone stock and quite a chore to drive.
    Sounds like you have made some good improvements for better drivability.
    Look forward to seeing more pictures of your truck!