Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Need help deciding possible candidates for a cad 500 swap

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ziptiesandducktape, Nov 10, 2016.

1. Im thinking something big and 50s era. What do yall hambers think? Motor isn't fully built yet but is a 75 caddy cammed, bored .80 over and has 10 to 1 compression forged pistons with forged rods. And motor will be backed by a turbo 400

2. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

49 Caddy HT, 53 Caddy HT, 61 Caddy 2dr HT, ANY early to late 50s pickup, any...

3. Torkwrench

Torkwrench

Not 50's era, but this 41 Pontiac is set up for a 425 V8, out of a 77 Caddy. I bought it without an engine or trans.

41Poncho.jpg 6403_1.jpg Front Subframe.jpg P-9.png

4. I need a 500 for my 63 T-Bird radical Kustom........LOL

5. wsdad

wsdad

6. Torkwrench

Torkwrench

It has a 74 Nova front subframe, with drum brakes. The P.O. did a very good job on it's installation.

42 Pontiacs are pretty rare cars, due to the short production run. Do you know of any hood ornaments for sale? I'm looking for one for my 41. Doesn't have to be a 41 ornament. Any 41 - 48 Pontiac ornament would be good.

7. squirrel

squirrel

I don't know what Highlander is thinking....56 caddy coupe is what you want.

Late to the Party likes this.
  8. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

Chevette...;)

302GMC, lewk and squirrel like this.
  9. Try ebay rpmmotorsports they have TONS of old gm iron

10. How are the front fenders mounted though? Becuase on my pontiac the whole front end basically has 1 body mount right under the radiator... And its so rotted out you can push on fender down and the other one goes upo_O

11. sweetdick2

sweetdick2
    from new jersey

stude-a- llic

tractorguy likes this.
  12. 57JoeFoMoPar

57JoeFoMoPar

Take 55-59 Ford/Mercury/Edsel off of your list. Yes they technically will fit, but they fit like shit, you can't run a decent intake because the hood won't close, and you run into all kinds of exhaust clearance issues.

Here are pics from a buddy of mine that crammed a 500 in a 59 Galaxie. He had an Edelbrock intake on it, but had to switch back to a stock intake because the hood wouldn't shut. To say fitment is tight would be a drastic understatement.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

13. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

They are about the size and weight of any other GM big block of the 1965 - 1975 era. Best fit a large car like full size Pontiac, Buick, Olds, Cadillac but will probably fit a full size Chev 55 up.

I know a big block in a mini car is fun, but it is not fun for long. My choice would be a big car that has the chassis and suspension to handle the weight and power. I would even be a bit leary of a Chev. Pontiac and larger have much stronger suspension, brakes, and rear axle.

So it is a question of shopping for a suitable car. If you can find a car you like for a good price because the engine or trans is sour, go for it.

Make life easy for yourself and stick with GM. If possible, GM from 1965 up.

14. 53sled

53sled
    from KCMO

I saw a 500 in a chevette on Power Tour, back in 97, 98 or so. Tubbed and everything. It was glorious.

15. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

The op wasn't even born yet, but "squirrel" and "lewk" are hip to this. Google Steve Magnantes "Bad Seed".
    [​IMG]

302GMC likes this.
  16. ROADSTER1927

ROADSTER1927

I had one in an OT 70 chevy short box pickup! It was great fun, Gary:D

falcongeorge likes this.
  17. 39-40 LaSalle coupe/convertible if you can find one.

Hnstray and falcongeorge like this.
  18. BJR

BJR

We put one in my sons 1947 International pickup.

302GMC likes this.
  19. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

About twenty years ago, I knew a guy that had a black '40 Buick coupe with americans and a cad flatty with all the Edmunds stuff on it, man was it ever nice.

20. osut362

osut362
    from East Texas
    1. Upholstery

My avatar pic has a Cad 500. I had to box the frame some because of torque....Al

21. Being that you're brand new to the site, where are you at now, as in your car interests and / or car inventory ?
    What are your expectations with the '75 Caddy ...... power wise, horsepower wise ?
    Are you doing the work on the engine yourself ?
    After high school, whether you plan on a trade school, a 2 year college, a 4 year college, or graduate school after your Bachelors Degree, keep this thought in mind ...........
    These cars and their associated pieces / parts can be a part of your life, for your entire life.
    Establish your career, then make a point to keep these cars in your life, for life.
    A great hobby, a great way to have fun !
    Best of luck with your future. :)

22. I agree with Squirrel --The '56 Coupe de Villes are beautiful cars.

23. Jibs

Jibs

How about a 47 Chevy, 472, turbo 400, 9" from a Bronco, on the road for 24 years now. Had to notch the firewall about 1/2" by 1" by 1/2" on the left side to get it to fit. 47.jpg
    Also my avartar 29 Essex has a built 500 in it.

24. well as of now... Im doing pretty much all the work on the fat caddy...along with occasional fatherly help... I i feel like i know more about motor building ( ive read countless articles.. Watched shows i feel like i know my stuff -everytime i talk to an old timer they always have a surprised look on their face and say that its suprising how well i know my stuff about motors and old iron) as far as power goals im thinking somewhere around 400 or maybe more depending on what inkate and carb will be ran... Car interests are anything 50s or some 40s... Usually gm made..the reason i posted asking for candidates was because with the 42 pontiac streamliner that it was going to go into is reaaaly clapped out... But maybey theres hope for it? Idk

25. Katuna

Katuna
    from Clovis,Ca.

26. Will get pic probably tomorrow?... But ill describe it... First off the floors are completely rotted out... The roof is dented so bad that a replacement was bought off ebay.. The frame x member is pretty beat up with the bottom flanges being all wavy... There were a few tears in the frame at welds... The crossmeber looks like someone drove over a boulder and all the body mounts are shot

27. You know there are a lot of "old timers" here, many "not so old timers", as well.
    Bottom line is this, many good answers are here to your questions and concerns.