Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Never Ending Hop Up Build

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Felipe Toltecatl, Oct 20, 2016.

1. Right on! I'm doing the A banger and 27 T mix-n-match also. So many different ways to combine the same parts. Kool.
    The Wizzard

Felipe Toltecatl likes this.
  2. Spindles and new king pins went on this morning along with the brakes. 20161022_123826.jpg 20161022_140826.jpg

3. That's a '24-25 firewall.

You're making some fast progress -- looking good!

4. Thanks for the info! I'm trying to have her on all four wheels by Thanksgiving, motor & driveline in by Christmas, body on by spring and completely on the road by summer.

koolkemp likes this.
  5. I reinstalled the "modified" hair pins and am very happy with the way they turned out. They'll be mounted inboard the frame for a nice clean look. 20161023_144942.jpg 20161023_150755.jpg

alanp561, dana barlow and bct like this.
  6. I'll assume your going to leave the chassis end of the Hair Pins just clamped to the frame rails until loaded ride height is found.
    The Wizzard

7. Yes that's the plan.

8. Uptown83

Uptown83

Looking good! Let me know when you need some help

9. bct

bct

Truck axle looks great!

10. Thanks I definitely will.

11. So I've been held up waiting on parts for the last couple of weeks and the steering hoop I got from Speedway needed the threads rechaised but I finally got all of that sorted out. I welded on my steering ball to the hoop and big ass truck brakes are on for the last time. Still waiting on Summit for my other front tire but I expect it this week along with the new tie rod. That should button up the front end for the most part until I get to the steering. Now I have to move to the rear end. I couldn't resist installing one of the wheels to get a visual. 20161107_171420.jpg 20161107_171433.jpg 20161107_172120.jpg 20161107_172134.jpg

12. rottenleonard

rottenleonard

This is going to be cool.

13. dana barlow

dana barlow
    from Miami Fla.
    1. Y-blocks

Great so far,I like it ! By the way, fix your spindel arms out tell they contact the brake backing plates,heat/bend} even if you need to indent or cut away a little of lip of backing plate to make your tierod as long as you can get it working safer with tierod out front like that. Fixs the Ackerman to at lest close enough to work some for you.

14. Thanks. I'll look into that this weekend.

dana barlow likes this.
  15. jvpolvere1

jvpolvere1

16. I like where you are going with this build......

17. Got the tie rod in the mail today so I wasted no time slapping it on after work. 20161108_171252.jpg 20161108_165946.jpg

18. p__moore

p__moore

Cool project for sure. I`ve never been in a car with a front tie rod setup like yours however a couple of chassis books I`ve read mention the below setup. ackerman-bending-steering-arms-reversed.jpg

19. banjorear

banjorear

Love the use of the F-1 axle. Looks great all trimmed up!

20. Thanks it wasn't my first choice but due to financial constraints I had to use what I had with a lil backyard ingenuity. I'm happy how it turned out.

21. banjorear

banjorear

Looks great. Really does. I like how the bosses for the lower shock mounts are already cast into it. I had one from a F-1 I parted out. After seeing yours, I wish I didn't get rid of it. Great work.

22. Looks like it should be a fun lil car

23. flatheadgary

flatheadgary
    from boron,ca

just a thought. why didn't you just mount the radius rod bracket at an angle and bend the spring mount straight so you didn't have to bend them?

24. I didn't want the spring to bind. I actually like the way the hair pins turned out though.

alanp561 and dana barlow like this.
  25. brokenspoke

brokenspoke

I'm not a chassis engineer, but the front cross member appears to have two different forces that might cause it to twist. Hopefully you addressed that. I do like your approach to the build

26. I welded in some reinforcement steel to the bottom of the crossmember earlier in the build. I will keep a close eye on it but I'm hoping for the best. I may add some more gusseting if it gets crazy.

27. Last edited: Nov 20, 2016
    biggeorge, kidcampbell71 and RICH B like this.
  28. steinauge

steinauge
    from 1960

You are really moving along on this.Any mods planned for the engine?

29. Yes I have an aluminum dual updraft intake with a pair of Tillotson F1B carbs and a Model B distributor so far. I have plans to buy a high compression head later on.

IowaMercMan likes this.
  30. jvpolvere1

jvpolvere1