Register now to get rid of these ads!

History What Ever Happened to..........?

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by OG lil E, Apr 19, 2016.

1. Chaz

Chaz
    Member Emeritus

One of the best threads ever!

2. I looked through those 1996 photos of Eldon's and this one has a sign for the Nevada State Fairgrounds in the background. That's why I asked.
    Photos are probably from several shows all mixed together.
    kkoa136.jpg

OG lil E and Moriarity like this.
  3. Thanks Chaz! Replies like this really make all the work worth while. We'll keep 'er going as long as we can! E

Moriarity and Sancho like this.
  4. Man Sancho, your sharp eyes and attention to detail never cease to amaze me! Again, as always, thanks for all your participation on the HAMB, and especially this thread! E

5. That's a great idea, Mark! Give me a few days to get a little more information and I'll post a list right here on this thread since it seems to pretty much center around the "Great ol' Days of the KKOA". Stay tuned..........E

6. graveyardsledder

graveyardsledder

I woke up very early this morning because I couldn't sleep. I came across this thread and I read through all 11 pages before having to get up and go to work. I love anything before my time. This thread is great! I've grown up around cars, hot rods and customs all my life. Keep it up, I don't know how much I can help but If I can put in some info to help out I will. Subscribed!

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Sancho, Moriarity and OG lil E like this.
  7. Ed, I have the list almost completed.
    The years I am missing are 1993, '97, '98, '99.
    If someone can fill those in, I will post the entire list tomorrow.

OG lil E and stanlow69 like this.
  8. Hey Sancho, got some help from Mark and @PasoJohn to fill in the list. Since you've already got most of it done, I'll just list the years you need. Thanks for getting on it so fast. E

1993 Springfield, Ohio
    1997 Lansing, Michigan
    1998 Davenport,Iowa
    1999 Lexington, Kentucky

Moriarity likes this.
  9. Here are the years/cities of the KKOA Spectacular. Found most of these through online searches so feel free to correct any that are wrong. Thanks to Mark and PasoJohn (and Ed) for filling in the holes.

1981 - Wichita, Ks.
    1982 - Des Moines, Iowa
    1983 - Springfield, Ohio
    1984 - Des Moines, Iowa
    1985 - Springfield, Ohio
    1986 - Springfield, Missouri
    1987 - Springfield, Illinois
    1988 - Holland, Michigan
    1989 - Davenport, Iowa
    1990 - Holland, Michigan
    1991 - Hamilton, Ohio
    1992 - Holland, Michigan
    1993 - Springfield, Ohio
    1994 - Huntsville, Alabama
    1995 - Lansing, Michigan
    1996 - Hamilton, Ohio
    1997 - Lansing, Michigan
    1998 - Davenport, Iowa
    1999 - Lexington, Kentucky
    2000 - Wichita, Ks.
    2001 - Lancaster, Ohio
    2002 - Lancaster, Ohio
    2003 - Lancaster, Ohio
    2004 - Lancaster, Ohio
    2005 and on - Salina, Ks.

10. PasoJohn

PasoJohn
    from Edina,Mn.

I recorded video's from 1986-2005 of the KKOA Spectacular's.I'm in the process of buying another player to start making video's again. I saw a lot of Customs during those years and want to send some to Ed

11. beltguy

beltguy
    from Colorado

Just a quick step back to the Chip Coffin Merc. At the 84 Leadsleds, I kept trying to sneak around a catch a photo of Chip's tattoo of his Merc. When he saw what I was doing he told me to step up and take a good picture:)
    My memory is playing tricks on me. I had though it was a tattoo of the Merc in the picture. I zoomed in and it is a different Merc.

stanlow69, OG lil E, drdave and 3 others like this.
  12. Cool story @beltguy. Like I've said so many times before, those early KKOA shows must have been a real hoot! E

13. What Ever Happened To..........? number 33.

1957 Ford "SHBOOM"
    Owner: Don "The Egyptian" Boeke
    Dayton, Ohio

1957 was a great year for cars. Almost everything that was produced in that year was cool, then to be able to customize one just made them that much cooler.
    If I was around in '57 and was in the market for a new car, I would have had a hard time choosing one. Now, if the choice was narrowed down to just a Ford or a Chevy, even that would have been hard for me. I like both cars. Funny, it seems that you see a lot more '57 Chevys than Fords, but back in the 80s and early 90s, there were a lot of great 1957 Ford customs.
    One of my favorite '57 Ford customs from back then was Don Boeke's gorgeous, candy red hardtop. This car had some very subtle body mods such as shaved door handles, frenched antennas, sunken taillights as well as an extra wide stretched out '55 Desoto grille with extra teeth. The one mod that really set Don's Ford apart from the many of that era was the use of '57 Desoto front fender caps with the dual headlights. This really changed up the look of the car, almost like a '58 Ford, but not quite. The one thing that took this car from subtle to wild was the paint job. Don owned his own body shop and did the paint work on it himself. He chose candy red that looked miles deep on video. What can't be seen in the video or in any of the magazine articles I found was the cobwebbing on the roof. It was very subtle, and a very unusual choice for the time. The styles of paint like metalflake, cobwebbing, endless line and so on are very popular these days and have made a big comeback, but back then, the comeback of wild paint was still quite a way off in the future (except for the lowrider crowd). Another thing that Don put on his car that was still catching on with custom folks was hydraulics. He must have really enjoyed them because in the 1983 Leadsled Spectacular video every time he cruised by he was hitting the switch. When the car did roll by, the paint was as beautiful as a ruby. Truly incredible body mods, choice of color and a quality finish.
    As outstanding as this car was, magazine coverage was minimal, and the car was only around the KKOA shows for a few years. In my research, it was only on the '83 and '85 video. As far as magazine appearances, it had a full color three page feature article in Classic and Custom, March '84 Vol. 5 #2 on pages 43-45. It was also featured in a one page black and white article in Custom Cars by Hot Rod Vol. 2 #2 from 1984 on page 36. There was also a great color picture of it in the same magazine on page 27 of their 1983 Leadsled Spectacular coverage. Believe it or not, that is all I was able to find in print.
    Pictures were pretty elusive also, but I was able to find a few great shots from the Scott Pavey Collection on Rikster's site. Rik also has a tab in his collection of '57 Fords spotlighting Don's car as well. I just used one of those photos. Please go to his site and check out the other photos, it is definitely a treat for the eyes.
    I'm not sure why the car disappeared from the scene so fast, but it sure made an impression on me in the magazines I saw it in for the short time it was around. Did Don sell it and start on another project? Is it in Europe? Maybe it's still tucked away in a garage somewhere waiting to be discovered and put back on the street. Whatever the story is, I hope it's still around and wasn't recycled and turned into refrigerators or file cabinets or something. Now that would be a real shame.
    'Til next week, keep cruisin'..........E

Don Boeke 57 Ford The Egyptian a SPC.jpg

Don Boeke 57 Ford The Egyptian b SPC.jpg

Don Boeke 57 Ford The Egyptian c Rikster.jpg

Last edited: Nov 9, 2016
  14. G V Gordon

G V Gordon
    from Enid OK

Always liked this car. Have had a soft spot for 57 Fords having owned one way back when. I too hope it's still around.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

Sancho and OG lil E like this.
  15. Last edited: Nov 9, 2016
  16. You can see it on the right of this photo from his open house in 2014.
    [​IMG]

I got this from his own site: http://egyptianbody.com/

17. Forgot to say that I totally agree with this choice! Another one of the customs from the "Classic & Custom" era that really made an impact.

Another great one! Thanks again Ed for taking the time to keep this going! And to everyone else participating....

straykatkustoms, drdave and OG lil E like this.
  18. Chaz

Chaz
    Member Emeritus

Those mopar dual headlights look perfect on there.

drdave, OG lil E and Sancho like this.
  19. 49toad

49toad

Ed. You are doing a great job with this post. Keep it up, I enjoy seeing all the old Kustoms.

20. Wow, lots to catch up on!

Thanks for all the added pictures Sancho! You can still see how the paint on this car glows some 30 plus years later! Glad to hear that Don still owns the car. Man, he should pull it out and take to to the CCR or the Spectacular or something!
    I goofed. In my notes I had it written down that the car was "SHBOOM" and Don is the Egyptian. Interesting that he calls himself the Egyptian because he was born in Egypt, Ohio--I didn't know that. I'll change the heading on this post--gotta be as accurate as possible! Appreciate the kudos!

You're absolutely right @Chaz! I couldn't agree more--a great mod that is absolutely spot on and makes this car a timeless classic.

Thank you so much, Doug. I really appreciate the compliment, especially from a seasoned kustom guy like you that was there first hand to see it all unfold. Also, thank you for all the hard work you did back then to video tape the events and put it all together for us. It's an awesome record of the great early days of the KKOA! E

21. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

I also really look forward to this each week. It is like being transported back to the "good old days". Thanks Ed

22. Thanks, Mark! I'm flattered to get another compliment from one of the true kustom guys that was there, and is still living the kustom life. Like I've said before, the compliments you guys send in this thread make all the work worthwhile. Thank you all so much! E

23. PasoJohn

PasoJohn
    from Edina,Mn.

Finally I can contribute to your thread,I took these 2 pix at LeadEast in 1993, IMG_3725-Better.jpg IMG_3730-Good.jpg

24. PasoJohn

PasoJohn
    from Edina,Mn.

Sancho,I hope you don't mind but I cleaned up your photo and brightened it up. 57 Ford custom.jpg

Moriarity, drdave, OG lil E and 2 others like this.
  25. stanlow69

stanlow69
    Member Emeritus

Another great car for this thread. Don was at Indy last year. He brought his (54)completed Lincoln that was in the pic`s of his shop that Sancho posted links too. He was only there Thursday and Friday. He had other commitments he had to be at Saturday. It`s roof was also Cob webbed. There is a book called Up In Flames-The Art Of Flame Painting, copyright 2006. It features Don with a 6 page spread witch also shows Sh-boom. That`s one of the reasons why I bought the book.

26. Moriarity likes this.
  27. michaelvz51

michaelvz51
    from So Cal
    1. HAMB Merc Club

WILL THOSE VIDEOS BE FOR SALE FOR US?!?!?!

stanlow69 likes this.
  28. 49toad has the 80's KKOA videos Ed keeps referring to. I'd love to get copies of PasoJohn's videos if he makes them available.....hint, hint! ;)

Good choice Ed! Glad to see it's still around. I can't believe this thread is up to #33 already! I hope you don't stop any time soon!

stanlow69, OG lil E and Sancho like this.
  29. 54delray

54delray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Fremont NE

Odd that I haven't been getting emails on this thread. I did not "unwatch" Just posting to see if it kicks back in. I am getting emails on "kustom blues .. " thread. Keep up the great posts, fellas.

30. What Ever Happened To..........? number 34.

1947 Chevy Fleetline
    Owner: George Dorr
    Salem, Ohio

This week's W.E.H.T. is one of the more radical cars featured so far. The amount of work in this car is staggering.
    George Dorr started out with a slightly rough around the edges '47 Fleetline. Just about every custom modification you can think of has been done. It was chopped, sectioned and channeled, as well as having the rear quarters reworked to accept Packard taillights. The front fenders were extended to have full fadeaways, and a custom grille opening was made to accept a widened '55 Desoto grille with a whopping 15 teeth! George also used '54 Ford headlight rings to sink the headlights, and '49 Plymouth bumpers were used. It took a while to completely finish this car, as George mentioned in a magazine article he did a majority of the work himself in a tiny one car garage!
    One really unique thing about this car is that George used a very healthy blown small block Chevy that helped this car run 13 second quarter mile times! Who said a leadsled has to be slow?
    As far as my research went, it was hit or miss. I seem to recall seeing it in a lot of my videos, but I was only able to catch a slight glimpse of it in the '87 Leadsled Spectacular Video in Springfield, Illinois. As far as magazine coverage went, I had to dig deeper than I expected to find any information. I found a great color picture of it in the December '88 issue of Rod and Custom on page 45 in their coverage of the '88 Spectacular in Holland, Michigan. I also found a single page feature article in black and white in the December '89 Rod and Custom on page 76. I'm sure I've seen more magazine articles on it, but these are all I could find after looking long and hard all week.
    As far as pictures go, I found some great shots that show the car in gray primer before the fadeaways, as well as in black primer and flames with the fadeaways and a few great color shots that show the beautiful red paint. My favorite picture is the one from the December '88 Rod and Custom where it shows George's sled sitting beside Harold Olsen's awesome Winfield painted Fleetline. Even though Harold's has been lowered and chopped, next to George's it looks pretty tall!
    So, to recap, as far as I was able to find, Mr. Dorr's Chevy was at the Leadsled in '87 and '88, that was it. As radical as this car was, if it is still around, it's profile would be very recognizable even if it has changed a lot and may be a different color. So, where is it? Did it leave the custom world and head out to the drags to give Camaros and Mustangs fits? The world may never know!
    Until next Tuesday, take care! E

George Dorr \'47 Fleetline a SPC.jpg

George Dorr \'47 Fleetline b Rik.jpg

George Dorr \'47 Fleetline c Rik.jpg

George Dorr \'47 Fleetline d SPC.jpg

88 LSS R&C Dec 88 p45.jpg