Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Dodge This - 1939 Dodge Southeast Gasser Build

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Dog_Patch, Aug 12, 2014.

1. 402BOSSMAN

402BOSSMAN

I'm on it early next week, see what I can pull off! ;) Another thing to do when you pull the heads is look at the O Ring areas, that may still be a possible cause there. I'll also talk to Claude Lavoie and see what the word is on the new aluminum block. Call it R&D?

2. Brand Apart

Brand Apart
    from Roswell GA

Greer was a good finale as usual! I counted 41 cars, so many new to me. Hopefully those changes to Q& D this off season will pay off. Night stalker was on kill I haven't been to race since Brainerd but I don't remember that car being such a beast.

Seeing the new d/gas was cool can't wait till March hopefully there will be 3 classes with full fields all next year.

3. allwilly

allwilly

Have to plan a working vacation n come help u put that thing on a diet...n maybe do some closing things off for better aero at the top end

Dog_Patch likes this.
  4. Higgy's Henry

Higgy's Henry

Is that a Hightower in your gasser, or are you just happy to see me?!!!

Attached Files:

sonic03bluegt likes this.
  5. Hey you did keep it ;) you could have sold it 6x before getting out the gate :D. It looks good! I bet ol Johnny will say your stick is too long though.

loudbang likes this.
  6. Higgy's Henry

Higgy's Henry

I'm gonna whip up a couple different ones, try it out and switch them up for efficiency. Couldn't see myself selling it, would be in the same spot that I was before. I'll be looking for some 31 spline axles!! I need to take a few measurements

loudbang and Dog_Patch like this.
  7. Hard earned - honored to get this :)

485085-791-80.jpg

8. Higgy's Henry

Higgy's Henry

Nice job on that!! Lotsa hard work, now you just have to better that next year. I have some measurements for my axles written down. Not sure if they are right but 24 7/8" and 27 3/16".

loudbang likes this.
  9. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Dog_Patch likes this.
  10. Way to go Tony well deserved. You have definitely come along way since I met you 2 years ago in Knoxville. Keep up the good work man

Sent from my SM-G930R4 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

sonic03bluegt likes this.
  11. 91whitestang

91whitestang
    from Wisconsin

Awesome work, very cool and well deserved!

1931 ford model a coupe

Dog_Patch likes this.
  12. loudbang

loudbang

Congrats on the hard earned honors.

Dog_Patch likes this.
  13. Bad Banana

Bad Banana

Tony.. you need to keep the right foot on the floor start to finish! ;)

14. Let me measure them when I get home. Too bad I didn't just bring them to the race .....

Yeah back then, I made a sandwich between gear shifts - now its just a quick snack. :)
    We need to build a simulator like for fighter jets that has hydraulics to feel like wheelies. I think the Nascar guys have stuff like that.

sonic03bluegt, saltflats and loudbang like this.
  15. Higgy's Henry

Higgy's Henry

Well that one is 44 mins long, aren't you at work?! lol

16. November 10th - Marine Corps Birthday - not a ton of work getting done, my boss was in the Navy so he thinks I'm a misguided stepchild anyway :rolleyes:

17. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

Tony congrats on your hard work, dedication and perseverance with the proof!!!
    And a happy Birthday for you and the men and women that have served.
    I am just an old Army brat. Sure do miss my dad

loudbang and Dog_Patch like this.
  18. Mike Colemire

Mike Colemire

WillyB since you are saving all that money now from not having to buy all that ammo, when does the Vette build thread start?

19. dirty old man

dirty old man
    Member Emeritus

This no politics thing is getting ridiculous , on another thread I got chastised by a lawyer no less, and why? Because I said the differences in opinion in the answers offered as to solution to the Op's problem were as varied as the opinions in the presidential debates!:eek: I certainly understand Ryan's desire to keep politics off the board, whether I agree is a different matter:rolleyes: But, it IS his forum!
    But Jeez, this shit can go too far!

saltflats likes this.
  20. Semper Fi you Dirty Old Man
    semper_fi.jpg

saltflats, loudbang and enloe like this.
  21. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

22. dirty old man

dirty old man
    Member Emeritus

Semper Fi yourself you fuckin' "feather merchant":D

Dog_Patch and loudbang like this.
  23. loudbang

loudbang

From the party at the embassy "Marine house." Yesterday.

20161110_191247_resized.jpg

20161110_203410_resized.jpg

Mtn Goat, Dog_Patch, enloe and 2 others like this.
  24. dirty old man

dirty old man
    Member Emeritus

As for the actual 60 ft. times, I agree that you lose some time picking up the wheels too far. However it isn't nearly as entertaining to the viewer without a wheelstand.
    And after all, the gate pays the bills, and the spectators are flocking to the SEG races to see the action.
    Perhaps this is why, if you read the rules closely, wheelstands are required as part of the action.
    I think the solution is to design the suspension somehow to allow the wheel lift required in the rules, but not to the altitude of Q&D, and somehow not unload the rear tiresby putting so much reliance on the wheelie bars. But I'm no engineer and have almost no knowledge of setting up such a suspension.

25. jvpolvere1

jvpolvere1

I'm loving this thread. Best book reading out there. Thanks Dog Patch, HAMB, et al. Semper Fi.

Sent from my SM-T377V using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Dog_Patch likes this.
  26. jvpolvere1

jvpolvere1

Nice dog. All the best. My three kids are done with college, moved on and have been replaced by three pit Bulls. Oh yeah, wife has moved on, too. Oh Happy Day.
    Following your thread with great interest. I have two 40 Chevy coupes in progress. One street rod and one drag car, possibly Gasser.
    Thanks, Jim

Sent from my SM-T377V using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Dog_Patch likes this.
  27. Guilty as charged. o_O You know when we had less cars we ran the first pass alone, that was the time to pull some crazy wheelies and take out cones :rolleyes: but - if the Moonlighter is in the other lane, I don't want to be that guy. I can set my wheelie bar up high and make the camera guy run for the hills. It will definitely kill your ET. I admit my bars were lower at the finals. I think we are struggling between ET and show right now. I don't want to hurt anyone - couldn't sleep with that. Just need to find the sweet spot. ;)

Not sure what it is about 39 - 41 cars that look so good - Ford Dodge Chevy Willys they had a good style at that time. You need a build thread :)

sonic03bluegt and loudbang like this.
  28. sonic03bluegt

sonic03bluegt
    from sc

So Tony, you got that thing on a diet yet? I can see 100lb that wouldnt be "that" hard to get out! ;) I'm already starting to go a little stir crazy not having a car that needs my attention most every evening between races. But, from the looks of your winter plans already laid out I better get to slaving on mine or i will have a good view of 392 hemi on the rear quarter alot next season!

loudbang likes this.