Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Any ghetto paint restoration advice?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by atikovi, Nov 9, 2016.

1. atikovi

atikovi

I have a beater car with metallic paint that has faded so there is no shine left on the horizontal surfaces. The paint itself is fine, no peeling, just faded. Tried polishing compound in a small area and it didn't help. Looked splotchy. Any quick, if just temporary fixes? Like rub transmission fluid, WD40 or Future floor polish on the paint?

2. upspirate

upspirate

Wet it with water,if shines, clear-coat it. Worked good on an old boat I had

whtbaron and belair like this.
  3. atikovi

atikovi

Anybody still make something like this:
    [​IMG]

4. kero wash ,works but real redneck

5. atikovi

atikovi

That won't make the car smell like a fuel leak?

6. KoolKat-57

KoolKat-57
    from Dublin, OH

No, More like a fuel oil leak from a furnace.
    KK

7. This works on metal flake boats so it might work on your car,the product can be purchased at any hardware store that sells alkyd enamels and is called Penetrol,all you need to do is wipe it on. HRP

8. I've used penetrol to help the flow on some of my old cans of one-shot and re-condition several old brushes that were forgotten and neglected. It was pretty fool proof to apply and cleaned up easy when I screwed up.

9. oldolds

oldolds

There used to be a wax/polish called Color Back. I used the crap out of it in the late 80's early 90's. It brought dead paint to life at the used car lot. I see it around now and then. Usually at close out type stores.

10. ClarkH

ClarkH
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

A Google search shows Color Back to be a Turtle Wax product. They sell it on Amazon, and it's cheap. https://www.amazon.com/Turtle-Wax-T-270R1-Oxidation-Restorer/dp/B0035Y6XXQ

11. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Turtle wax products are better than most of the newer "Johnny come lately" high advertised and car show give away products. Their spray wax and shine on a wet car after washing is a great product along with their paste wax which has been a staple in my garage for over 45 years. It gives great chrome protection after cleaning too..

12. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

ReColor. "Better than Paint!"

Just Wipe On...Let Dry!
    Plastic, Metal, Stone, Vinyl, Fiberglass, Rubber, Composites, and more!

Award Winning Coating!

That's what it says on the box, was advertised on the internet. Everybody knows you can't lie on the Internet!

tb33anda3rd likes this.
  13. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

I've got an acquaintance that uses MOP-n-GLO on the colored plastic on Model Cars!
    Amazing sheen...looks like a pro paint job... I'm talkin' 1/25 scale! Just think of the Real Thing...

14. i knew of used car lots that bought a lot of that stuff. doesn't last that long, but gets the sale done.

15. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

You forgot 'As Seen on TV'

[​IMG]

16. oldolds

oldolds

That might not be the same thing I used. The stuff I used was in an orange bottle. I think it may have been an "as seen on tv" product. I will say that it would look great for a month and ok for the rest of the summer.

17. KoolKat-57

KoolKat-57
    from Dublin, OH

Colorback is great, except on old metallic finishes.
    BELIEVE me I have tried it and it just made it worse.
    KK

18. jcmarz

jcmarz
    from Chino, Ca

That crap don't work.

19. whtbaron

whtbaron
    from manitoba

There was a few of those paint renewal systems coming on the market when I was painting in the 70's and I must say I hated them. People would try them first, not be satisfied and then I'd have to figure out how to make a paint job stick on top of the crap. Most of these suggestions will give the next paint job a gazillion fisheyes if you can't get it off. If the pigment is in good shape, the only recommendation I've seen here that I like is to clear coat over it. If by saying "splotchy" you mean you've already rubbed through the top pigments into the metallics, then the only real solution is to repaint. You'd be half way there shooting a clear coat anyway.

upspirate likes this.
  20. nailed31

nailed31

Yep Bestuff is awesome! Honestly if Billy Mays were still alive, he'd be selling this as Oxyclean for everything other than clothes! I would not use it on a show car but everything else is works wonders! Especially those gnarly late model head lights that have cataracts! Check it out!
    It's like Frank's Red Hot Sauce of cleaners; "I put that ____ on everything!"
    http://www.superkleendirect.com/zep/furniture-cleaners-and-polish/bestuff-quart-zise/

"Just because you can put tap shoes on an elephant doesn't mean it can dance!"

21. chopolds

chopolds
    from howell, nj
    1. Kustom Painters

Why Ghetto? Don't our old cars deserve more respect than that????
    How did you try compound? What compound? By hand or machine? I'm sure if the paint is intact, you can successfully buff it out, IF you use the right stuff, and methods. Do a search, and you'll find lots of suggestions.

22. atikovi

atikovi

Just a $500 car. Tried Meguiers polish with a machine and it turned the pad black. Will try this transmission fluid trick I first did over 30 years ago.

23. Paint Guru

Paint Guru
    from Bowdon, GA

I sell my enamel binder to the used car guys, they put it in a spray gun and spray the whole underneath of the hood. It's basically a air dry clear. It won't hold up but for about 6 months to a year. Some of my local hot rodders have me add a corrosion inhibitor to it so they can spray directly to metal. Runs about $45 gallon.

Sent from my SM-N920V using The H.A.M.B. mobile app