Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods The ALTERED thread

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by loudbang, Mar 3, 2016.

1. loudbang

loudbang

Posted by HiHlex in the fiat thread

Walt's Puffer A/A

walt\'s Puffer HiHelix fiats.jpg

walt\'s Puffer.jpg

2. THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER

THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER
    from FRENCHTOWN

Some manufacturers, like Cal and Kellison, offered T bucket bodies with the wheel wells inset probably in the late sixties, if not earlier. As i recollect you could even specify inner spacing of the tubs.

els, Roothawg and loudbang like this.
  3. jimcolwell

jimcolwell
    from Amarillo

"Perwar Funny" Johnson Bros and Nicholson from Amarillo Texas

Attached Files:

4. Roothawg

Roothawg

The Plain Vanilla owners lived here in OKC. Frank and Charlie Smith. They were brothers. My dad ran with them for years.

els, loudbang and Reds 29 like this.
  5. Roothawg

Roothawg

We should have a period correct altered class like the SE Gasser guys. I would build another car if need be.

els, AHotRod, mad mikey and 2 others like this.
  6. old sparks

old sparks

I`d be very interested in that as long as there are more than one class so us that are on a budget can afford to run

els, loudbang and mad mikey like this.
  7. im in. that would be fun.

els and mad mikey like this.
  8. Roothawg

Roothawg

I think 3 classes would be good.

You could use the CID/Lb rules from the day. Guys would have to be honest or it won't be any fun. Factory cast blocks. No electronics. Straight axles

A/A
    B/A
    C/A

Speedway has decent bodies cheap.
    I would hope we could all get in the same class at first, to have enough guys to run against
    Honestly, it would be cool to share info to get the cars as close as possible, so it would always be a good race. My vision is period correct, heads up racing. Something that would mimic 1964.

Last edited: Nov 10, 2016
    els, AHotRod and mad mikey like this.
  9. lets do it. the melt down would be a great first event. the event staff is a accommodating bunch of guys. you also don't have to deal with nhra like at the reunions. the melt down is much more laid back and its centally located.

els, mad mikey and Roothawg like this.
  10. hog mtn dave

hog mtn dave

Automatic or manual trans? Clutches are a huge part of the SEG package. Lots of gasser groups out there but none that I know of require a clutch.

els likes this.
  11. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

You guys keep talking like this I see a Fiat in my future.

els, mad mikey and Roothawg like this.
  12. Roothawg

Roothawg

I think the trick is economy. I love the ideas of clutches but you will have 3 grand tied up in a tranny. I can build a powerglide at home for around $300 plus converter.
    I just like the idea of guys meeting up to grudge match. No money, no points, no trophies. Just bragging rights. Give people in the stands something to watch. Not this stutterbox crap with a 6 second delay. I would like to focus on period correct external parts. Make people wonder if these cars are from 1962. I'm building the tow truck right now. The Produce truck will be double duty. Open period correct trailer to match.

els, AHotRod and mad mikey like this.
  13. I have been wanting something like this to happen for a long time. I have mentioned altered class to Quain several times. He said maybe in the future , altered class along with the gasser show.

els likes this.
  14. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

Got me thinking Algon injected 409

els, loudbang and Roothawg like this.
  15. Roothawg

Roothawg

As long as everyone understands that this a group of friends that just wanna have a good time, it could be a lot of fun. When guys start dropping megabucks on parts made of titanium, enclosed race trailers hauled behind their Prevost motorhome, the fun leaves.

els and AHotRod like this.
  16. Roothawg

Roothawg

17. Roothawg

Roothawg

18. Roothawg

Roothawg

19. Roothawg

Roothawg

els and mad mikey like this.
  20. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

I have some tubing and a plan to build my take on a TE 440 dragster to run with Jackson at MO-KAN.
    And there was talk about starting a 10.10 vintage dragster class as there are some more people interested in the idea.
    That being said I am sure that the tracks that would let one run this kind of car will be limited.
    So if we try to build an altered for a vintage class would you build it just like the old days or make it a certified chassis?

els likes this.
  21. Roothawg

Roothawg

Just stay above 10 seconds and it's golden. Just make the hoop safe by todays standards. I built one back in the 90's that still techs today.

I think it would be cool to require pie crust slicks. Sure it's slower, but it just looks right.

loner2, els and mad mikey like this.
  22. ididntdoit1960

ididntdoit1960
    from Western MA

I'm finishing up my avatar now - I used a 283 to conform to old B/A rules... I run a PG with no brake - It would be tough to run a stick in a center steer car (I know they did it back in the day with a 3sp using only 2nd and 3rd) and direct drive is a no go on lower powered (non nitro) cars...I would be in for a one time type event or a series - SE is fine with me or as far west as Byron...... Beaver Springs would be even better and I think we could get a lot of interest in an event there.
    Modern cages would need to be OK along with the aforementioned Auto trannys - weight to CI with supercharging bumping you up a class - with a top AA/supercharged class - limit the lower classes to gas or Alky. should be a wheelbase max and no modern takes on old bodies (like swoopy bantams, topos or Ts)

els likes this.
  23. ididntdoit1960

ididntdoit1960
    from Western MA

I agree - a spec tire might be a good idea - my target, once I get the car sorted and do some upgrades (hilborn, etc) is 10.90

els and Roothawg like this.
  24. Roothawg

Roothawg

I think alcohol should be allowed, just because in the altereds, you have no room for a radiator. I added one to the Fly and I hate the look. It's just wrong. It's coming out.

I would think 100"-115" wb should cover it.

els likes this.
  25. hog mtn dave

hog mtn dave

...and no overhang in front of the axle...period style wheels.

els and Roothawg like this.
  26. Roothawg

Roothawg

Vintage styled hand painted lettering. No permanent nhra class numbers etc. (unless they are a vintage styled, i.e a clone of a vintage car)no sheet metal intakes.

els likes this.
  27. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

And open face helmets with bubble shields.

[​IMG]

28. Roothawg

Roothawg

Of course......

els likes this.
  29. just my thoughts here. the melt down guys started with some simple rules to get started. as the years went on the rules became more strict. the rules pertain to the look of the car. rules that are too strict at first might turn cars away. not everyone will have the cash for new wheels etc at first. i like the idea of three classes when there are enough cars. i would like to see engines built before 1966. i would like blowers no bigger than a 8-71 roots. injection should be something offered by 1966. vintage looking wheels should be the goal over time. safety should be a concern. there is a reason the rules have changed over the years and its usually directly tied to someone getting hurt. why would you not want to have a safe car? all nhra rules should be mandatory on the faster cars. track owners won't want to take on the liability that comes with a group of potentially dangerous cars. cost should be considered. vintage parts are expensive and at times difficult to find. the parts are old and usually worn. finding affordable parts the first time is hard enough. finding them again after they break can be even harder on the wallet turning away participants. there is a balance that can be achieved to obtain the look and feel of vintage altereds while providing cars that can get down the track consistently without breakage safely. running a fast car is hard on parts i know i ran a match race nitro car for years. things like after market blocks, heads and cranks are expensive at first but over time save money due to the higher quality plus dependability and should not be overlooked. transmissions and rear ends also. you can't put on a show if your car is broken all of the time. being able to make a phone call for a part and get it overnighted becomes a big deal when you start to play this game. i like the idea of a 12 inch tire max. they can be bought in 15 and 16 inch diameters to fit the vintage wheels. m h has a spec tire that is a proven performer and is perfect for the job. look at the pics posted here on this thread regarding front susspesions. everything is represented. we see coil overs, torsion bars, leaf springs etc. i would say just no strut front ends. getting cars to the track should be the focus to start out. defining rules without over thinking them can come in time. my feelings on the vintage funny cars are they started out looking and performing like the old cars. now they are out of hand going 5.60s. they no longer have the same feel. some guidelines need to be in effect to prevent the same fate as the funnies.

30. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

Lots to think about.
    A rule book would be mandatory.
    A safe cage will be the only way for me. so if it has to be a roll bar like back in the day then just may have to count me out.
    I can't think that a cage for safety would piss off the crowd.

els, loudbang and mad mikey like this.