Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects My 1953 Chev Belair HT Import Project

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by CrcooperPhotography, Nov 19, 2012.

1. CrcooperPhotography

CrcooperPhotography
    from Australia

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1377212082.041633.jpg
    ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1377212109.082366.jpg
    ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1377212126.385344.jpg
    ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1377212142.686947.jpg

Still pushing forward to try and get this thing to CHOPPED in October.

Just finished laying down POR15 in the boot, rust repairs soon-I hope.

Powdered black brackets and POR15 the inside of the rear bumper, ready to be mounted.

Some much needed presents from Chevs of the 40s. However, but disappointed in the brake and clutch bushings.....as you can see, a massive difference. Have email COT40s and they're contacting the manufacture to see why there's such a difference. Has anyone else found this problem?

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

2. CrcooperPhotography

CrcooperPhotography
    from Australia

TECH HELP NEEDED URGENTLY!!!!!

i rebuilt the stock rochester carby on the 235 about two weeks ago. i gave it a decent test drive over the weekend just gone. it drove fine for about 45mins, then just died on me.....i really thought i had ran out of fuel, but only after about 15L of fuel, it bubbled out. once i got it home, i noticed the fuel pump had been seeping quite a bit of fuel, and the brass nuts were loose. tightened those, cleaned the outside of the fuel pump and replaced the fuel filter. test drove sunday with no dramas. test drove again tongight and after driving for about 30mins, it died on me.....however, this time, with only a few pumps on the gas it started and got me home.

i am really stuck as to what this issue could be? as far as i know i set the float height correctly, does anyone here know off the top of their head what the height is meant to be? i searched online and found the settings, but this could be false information?

as the fuel pump is seeping fuel from the gasket, could the diaphragm be perished and causing a flow restriction to the carby?

a few guys have asked if i have a vented fuel filler cap, which i don't-stock standard cap. and whether the fuel breather line is blocked??

all the help and advice will be greatly appreciated. cheers guys!

CHOPPEDORBUST

3. It sounds like you have a fuel supply problem. Try replacing your fuel pump, have a look atthe Holden 6 (red 202, 186 etc), I have fitted one of these to a stovebolt, I reckkon the 235 is the same. If in doubt about your fuel cap, try one of those plastic cheapies and punch a hole in it, leave it on for a few days and you will know if you need a vented cap .

4. CrcooperPhotography

CrcooperPhotography
    from Australia

Thank you for the tech help mate! I've ordered the Holden red fuel pump through Repco, will be I store tomorrow! Apparently it's a clean swap over, you just rotate the top cap to align the fuel lines. A lot of people have suggested the fuel pump could be the source of the problem. The one thing I should've done is cleaned the fuel tank out....
    Thanks again, mate!!

5. Do you have a fuel filter before the pump? If not maybe put one there if you're worried about crap from the tank.

6. CrcooperPhotography

CrcooperPhotography
    from Australia

Brett! I've got one just before the carb. Would it be an over kill to have another before the pump?

7. It is always better to try and run the filter before the pump (saves blockages in the pump). I'd look at swapping it to before the pump as two would be overkill.

8. CrcooperPhotography

CrcooperPhotography
    from Australia

I've been off the HAMB for a long long time. I've moved towns and life threw some lemons at the chev.

However, you make lemonade with lemons and its full steam ahead.

Balancing the 9-5, photography and working on the chev keeps life pretty constant and entertaining.

Here's a few photographs over the past couple of months ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1416142739.362589.jpg ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1416142805.073734.jpg ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1416142834.820236.jpg ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1416142852.418272.jpg ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1416142875.421760.jpg ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1416142913.923955.jpg ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1416142960.394877.jpg ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1416142975.396174.jpg ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1416142993.530061.jpg ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1416143015.049150.jpg ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1416143027.384240.jpg ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1416143055.402862.jpg ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1416143072.456408.jpg ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1416143104.857170.jpg ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1416143120.191742.jpg

9. attitudor

attitudor
    from Finland

Cool car. Congrats!

10. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Ah, the old rust in the floorboards repair. Nice job on that. A 53/54 hardtop has always been on my "if I had space in the garage" list.

11. 'Mo

'Mo

DUDE! How the hell you been, man?
    Is that the under side of a Tattersfield intake? Cryptic stuff!

12. CrcooperPhotography

CrcooperPhotography
    from Australia

Haha good to hear from you mate!

Been pretty crazy. Wasn't able to touch the chev for a long long time, and as you can see, some damage has occurred but insurance came through with a decent pay out.

YEP, that's a tattersfield intake!

Have you fitted your monster 216??

13. CrcooperPhotography

CrcooperPhotography
    from Australia

I've got a few other goodies coming too.

A 55buick steering wheel that I'll send off to pearl craft for a new pearl white coating.

A few goodies from COT40s

Found some second hand teeth with NO cracks from national chevvy

EMS sheet metal panels-rear taipan is rotted fairly badly

National Chevvy has one more floor shift conversion kit in stock. Does anyone know of any other decent kits?

Another Hamber might have a guest set-up that may fit??

14. CrcooperPhotography

CrcooperPhotography
    from Australia

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1416198806.328920.jpg

I'm also chasing a second mooneyes Muroc frog mouth scoop like the one pictured. I haven't yet had a good search of ebay. A few friends have scored them from the evilbay

15. Outback

Outback
    from NE Vic

Were you up in NE Vic, still up this way?

I recognize the shady establishment where you are having the Chev repaired :) I know those guys....

Great looking car by the way!

Last edited: Nov 16, 2014
  16. CrcooperPhotography

CrcooperPhotography
    from Australia

Jahaha scoundrels are a bunch of shady blokes hey!

Nah mate. Not anymore, down melbourne :)

Outback likes this.
  17. Wardog

Wardog

Hey Coops, Good to see you are back on here. I'm glad you did'nt let it all get too much for you and get rid of the chev. Just like eating an elephant, It can be done, One bite at a time!

18. Outback

Outback
    from NE Vic

Chris, i reckon I saw some of your pics on the wall of a cafe' in Albury at some point when I worked up there...

Glad to see some work happening on the Chev!

19. CrcooperPhotography

CrcooperPhotography
    from Australia

Thanks wardy man.

Super happy I stuck through it.

Really rewarding working on it and having no idea what I'm doing haha. A good break from the computer!

Yep, that would've been mine mate. Green zebra cafe a few years back!!

20. belair

belair

Nice car. I like without the skirts.

21. kennyg1931

kennyg1931

Nice 53 , looks good : Keep it up ! !

22. CrcooperPhotography

CrcooperPhotography
    from Australia

Thanks man!

23. CrcooperPhotography

CrcooperPhotography
    from Australia

Thanks buddy.
    I'll post some long over due updates soon!

'Mo likes this.
  24. Wardog

Wardog

Coops Coops Coops!!!!! C'mon man I think I know what the photos will be of.

CrcooperPhotography likes this.
  25. CrcooperPhotography

CrcooperPhotography
    from Australia

Two years.....i should use this more often!
    without the help from some of the best dudes, none of this would've happened. IF you're on the gram, Give them a follow!
    IMG_9725.jpg
    Des and myself nosed, decked, and shaved the door handles and aerial hole over a weekend.
    I really know how to blend in primer nicely hahaha.
    That number plate shroud is off an FC Holden.
    IMG_9726.jpg
    Aerial hole finally gone, side badges shaved.
    IMG_9723.jpg
    Over a weekend Andy, Benny and myself Re-wried the entire car. and fitted a Mustang fuel tank.
    If you're in melbourne australia and need mechanical/engineering etc please go see Andy!
    I had Re-lined and made new tank straps for the old original tank, and after only a few months, the tank split at the seams.
    Mustang tank it is!
    We cut out the fuel filler , cut out the boot floor, and then sectioned the spare wheel well to make the tank fit nice and snug. The spare wheel well will only take a 5.60 tyre now haha.
    Mustang tank created so much more clearance underneath.
    IMG_9727.jpg
    55 chev tail lights!!
    This coming weekend marks one year since i bought a pair 55 tail light bezels and was sold on fitting them one day. 12 months later their in!
    Some very close friends pitched in bought complete 55 lights for me for my birthday on one condition. There In before christmas.
    Benny and i searched the web to see how others fitted them, and we both found a purple 55 nomad that had them laid over. We were sold.
    Benny is genius. If you're in melbourne australia, please hit him up if you need panel work done.
    We made our own quarters/buckets. I couldn't afford to buy rear 55 quarters and after the end result, i'm glad i didn't!
    I'm now currently looking for a 54 chev front bumper bar to put on the rear. It matches up to the extended quarters so much nicer!
    Enoy the rant!

tomkelly88 likes this.
  26. CrcooperPhotography

CrcooperPhotography
    from Australia

011116_8476.jpg
    061116_8528.jpg
    Mid work and finished!

Outback, tomkelly88 and Wardog like this.
  27. Rand Man

Rand Man

I'm working on a deal to get one of these for myself. I like what you're doing with this one.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

CrcooperPhotography likes this.
  28. 'Mo

'Mo

I didn't see that coming...A walk on the wild side!
    (BTW, I took the liberty of taking your car over to the Photoshop thread to see how Buick lenses might look.
    If anyone tackles the conversion, I'll bring it back to compare.)

[​IMG]

29. 'Mo

'Mo

themoose was kind enough to lend his talents with this offering.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 10, 2016
  30. CrcooperPhotography

CrcooperPhotography
    from Australia

MO! haha that is cool as shit!! what a champion!

'Mo likes this.