Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Walter P. Chrysler Museum Closing

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by bobg1951chevy, Nov 7, 2016.

1. FCA ( Fiat-Chrysler Automobiles ) has decided to close the Walter P. Chrysler Museum and convert it to office space.
    Not a large museum, when compared to others, but just another sign of the times, a negative sign of the times, in my estimation.

2. That just sucks. It is a wonderful museum.... Picture 042.jpg Picture 072.jpg Picture 092.jpg Picture 073.jpg Picture 099.jpg

HEMI32, LOU WELLS, Dog_Patch and 4 others like this.
  3. ken bogren

ken bogren

We just read recently in one of the car magazines that the museum would be open on special occasions and select weekends.
    Apparently that plan didn't work out.
    Too bad they can't at least keep the lower level open on occasion, like the GM Heritage Center.

bobg1951chevy likes this.
  4. 0NE BAD 51 MERC

0NE BAD 51 MERC

And another piece of American History scattered off to the highest bidder, which will not be anywhere as high as you think. Years ago people flocked to places such as this. Now they just Google it. I fear it won't be long and there will be nothing left of what made this country great to hand down to future generations. Larry

5. tinsled

tinsled

Fuck... Yet another great place I'll never be...

OLDSMAN likes this.
  6. More for those who miss it.... Picture 046.jpg Picture 052.jpg Picture 056.jpg Picture 047.jpg Picture 070.jpg Picture 076.jpg Picture 079.jpg Picture 054.jpg Picture 096.jpg

HEMI32, Drewfus, Hnstray and 2 others like this.
  7. 31 DODGER,
    Great pics.
    Such great memories which will no longer be seen by the public.
    Bad decision to close, IMHO.

Hnstray likes this.
  8. Speedwrench

Speedwrench

The local news outlets said that the museum will remain open until some time in mid-December.

The way they talked about it the vehicles will not be sold but put on display throughout various FCA facilities. The current museum space will be converted to offices.

Edit: The last day for public viewing is December 18.

Last edited: Nov 7, 2016
    Hnstray likes this.
  9. Thanks....here are a few more.... Picture 061.jpg Picture 055.jpg Picture 053.jpg Picture 057.jpg Picture 059.jpg Picture 097.jpg Picture 098.jpg Picture 101.jpg Picture 074.jpg Picture 088.jpg

HEMI32, lewk, bobg1951chevy and 2 others like this.
  10. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

What a shame!
    Are some of these vehicles on loan as you see in other museums?

11. Don't know, but I believe there are also tons more cars in the very basement.

12. Kan Kustom

Kan Kustom

Happening every where. Replacing the real world with computers. That museum represented men and women building physically useful products. The new office buildings will be filled with leaches getting paid to type reports and useless suggestions about the few people actually producing useful products.

clunker, tractorguy, Jet96 and 3 others like this.
  13. Buggar!.........don't expect that I'd ever be able to get there but if closed then that stuffs up that dream........andyd

14. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

15. edfueler

edfueler

What a shame, indeed. Museums aren't cherished like they were.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

bobg1951chevy likes this.
  16. traffic61

traffic61
    from Owasso, OK

Gee, thanks Sergio...

17. Chrisbcritter

Chrisbcritter

A few of my shots at the museum from August 2006:
    P1020403.JPG
    P1020382.JPG
    P1020393.JPG
    P1020394.JPG
    P1020395.JPG
    P1020402.JPG

HEMI32 likes this.
  18. mcmopar

mcmopar
    from Strum, wi

Thanks to everyone who posted pics. I wish I could have made it there before it closes, but I know I wont.
    Tony

Chrisbcritter and bobg1951chevy like this.
  19. A few more.... Picture 044.jpg Picture 048.jpg Picture 049.jpg Picture 050.jpg Picture 060.jpg Picture 081.jpg Picture 082.jpg Picture 086.jpg

HEMI32 and stillrunners like this.
  20. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

Thanks for the updates, on both museums, and for pics. it is heartbreaking, and scary, to see these very important sites and contents disappear possibly from public viewing. but, when was the last time the average person took the time to go to a museum of any type? how about last time in a Library? I use the example that while driving from point A to point B you see a neat looking antique shop, etc. but, every time going by in a hurry to get to point A or B and do not stop. but, make mental note to stop next time. finally decide to stop and find the shop closed down. kind of in shock but, then realize that too many people just drove on by. can apply that to people that you know too.

The37Kid, Jet96, Dog_Patch and 2 others like this.
  21. thanks for the pics...

22. tractorguy

tractorguy

Yep......Sergio The Great continues to loot a once proud American car company for the the enrichment of himself and the Agnelli family in Italy. Soon, all that will remain is Jeep and Dodge truck.

Surfcityrocker likes this.
  23. Hot Rods Ta Hell

Hot Rods Ta Hell

Really sucks. Doesn't look like the shutdown was from lack of visitors as many of the pics posted show plenty of people? Looks like a well done gem of a museum. Seeing a good museum close is like seeing a Church close. Makes me sad and wonder the course of events that caused the demise.

The new "move in" for office workers will go something like this:

Steve: "Welcome to the new accounting dept. office Nathan, this is your cubicle".
    Nathan: "Hey, this is a really nice looking space we have here. Someone told me this used to be some sort of car museum"????
    Steve: Yeah, I got dragged through here once. Just a bunch of stupid, boring old cars".
    Nathan: "Yeah, I can imagine. Seems to me the building is much better suited as a district office"....

Walter P. must be spinning in his grave.

clunker, The37Kid, brad2v and 3 others like this.
  24. Your comments remind me of the phrase "tomorrow is promised to no one".

Jet96 likes this.
  25. Engine man

Engine man
    from Wisconsin

What do they need more office space for? More room for more people who don't do anything productive?

26. I think you hit the nail on the head with Steve and Nathan !

27. cfmvw

cfmvw

I've worked in places where management squeezed the production floor because they "needed" more office space. One person I worked with crunched some numbers and figured out there were five office people to one worker.

28. SicSpeed

SicSpeed
    from Idaho

Welcome to the current Corp. image
    Off shore interest
    Have no interest
    In American History
    Even Ford is shutting down and moving out.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

tractorguy likes this.