Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects My Spurgin/Giovanine inspired 1925 Chev roadster build thread

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Jimmy B, May 2, 2010.

1. Keep at it Jimmy, not far now to get it functional, at least enough to come down to the RR in January. Looking great, so keep chipping away.
    Cheers,
    Drewfus

volvobrynk, Outback and Jimmy B like this.
  2. working on the boot area and a couple pics with the old hood and sides

SANY5719.JPG SANY5721.JPG SANY5725.JPG SANY5732.JPG SANY5735.JPG SANY5737.JPG SANY5740.JPG SANY5741.JPG

Last edited: Aug 15, 2016
    KKrod, r2c1, T-roaster and 9 others like this.
  3. Six Ball

Six Ball
    from Nevada

That's looking great Jimmy. I always like to see your progress and the pictures of the body structural supports or whatever you call them. The stuff that replaces the old wood.:confused:

volvobrynk likes this.
  4. BrerHair

BrerHair
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Looking good Jimmy!

5. autobilly

autobilly

Any progress to share JB?

6. G'day Nic, unfortunately no actual progress to report. I have just bought an AC/DC Tig welder so I should have an update in the next few weeks.

Drewfus, volvobrynk and bct like this.
  7. Gilco33

Gilco33

Jimmy, I'm starting to clean up some parts for my roadster project ..finally .... question, do you think I will have to alter the original 25 Chevy hood to run the Whippet shell I have? ... Early pic's of the S/G roadster with Whippet shell and original hood look like it lays right on?? Ever tried one,(original hood), for fit?

8. That is great news Gilco, I look forward to seeing your build. I haven't tried to pair the Chev bonnet (hood) to the Whippet shell. As far as I am aware the Spurgin Giovanine roadster '47 and earlier ran the stock hood and sides with the top adjusted to suit the Whippet shell shape. I don't see you running into any problems.

volvobrynk likes this.
  9. Gilco33

Gilco33

Thanks Jimmy, I think it may require "splitting" the hood top on both sides to narrow it down to the Whippet shell. Its either that or build a track nose. But as I already have the Whippet shell, stock hood, and a tight budget! that is what I will probably run...Tonight I'm pulling the old wood out of the doors...... thinking of re-framing the whole body in steel as you have. You don't sell a steel framing "kit" do you!!
    Also, can you describe the difference in the '23, '24 and '25 bodies? they look identical to me? Thanks for your reply, Jim aka (Gilco)

Outback and volvobrynk like this.
  10. Six Ball

Six Ball
    from Nevada

Looking good Jimmy, glad to see you chipping away at it. It looks like the buck makes a handy tool shelf for now.:D

volvobrynk and Jimmy B like this.
  11. Nice shape on the nose. I like it.

Jimmy B and volvobrynk like this.
  12. that side profile looks ace, keep chipping away, looking great.
    Cheers,
    Drewfus

Jimmy B, Outback and volvobrynk like this.
  13. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

Ah, Jimmy...Just gets better and better...

volvobrynk likes this.
  14. Gilco33

Gilco33

volvobrynk and Jimmy B like this.
  15. BrerHair

BrerHair
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Fantastic! Fun to watch.

Spoggie likes this.
  16. A small update, I have been welding in the floors as I am waiting for some sand bags and bossing mallets to help form the nose. While I am waiting I will finish the floors and seam seal the body so I can paint the body structure, then on to welding the panels.

SANY5987.JPG

Spoggie, KKrod, Stogy and 7 others like this.
  17. Been awhile since my last update.

SANY5998.JPG

These aircraft latches I bought off Casny 10 years ago
    IMG_0565.JPG

IMG_1052.JPG

18. I haven't taken many pics in the last few months as both my cameras shit themselves, the above painted chassis pic was from my Dads camera.

cactus1, r@tt3r, KKrod and 2 others like this.
  19. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

Glad to see you back.

Jimmy B, Outback and volvobrynk like this.
  20. Outback

Outback
    from NE Vic

Looking great Jimmy!

Spoggie and Jimmy B like this.
  21. Just wondering on your body structure, is all the bracing necessary or is it to meet Australian law so it's considered "roadworthy"? I'm building a steel '20 T and I haven't planned near as much as you have on your car. First time building so I was just wondering if I should add more in the plan, mines just 1" or something like 25mm square tube that's 16 gauge and my body is spot welded to the bracing. Really looking good, Jimmy. Glad to see it back on here.

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

r@tt3r and Jimmy B like this.
  22. G'day indestructableforce thank you for the question. The body structure on my roadster is way overkill, I wanted it rigid and to encase the cabin in a cage instead of an open flimsy tin can. Our laws say we should have side intrusion bars, other than that the body can be stock.

With your T they are a thicker gauge sheetmetal and the rear body panel make the T a lot stiffer. If your body is rigid with what you have welded in it should be fine, you can add extra strengthening pieces for piece of mind. Got any pics?

Hopefully I can post more updates soon.

volvobrynk, KKrod and Stogy like this.
  23. Thanks Jimmy. I don't have my bracing finished yet. It'll be fairly similar to your's with the exception of the door bars and some of the vertical braces. I'm expecting this to be adequate. If I find I need more bracing, I'll just add more as I go. Was hoping to have more done this week but I've come down with a sinus infection and maybe a cold. Prescribed myself a couple shots of whiskey an hour so I'm staying out of the shop this weekend. Works better than any medicine from the hospital. :) Here's a crap sketch of how I'm thinking it'll look. [​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Jimmy B and volvobrynk like this.
  24. cmarcus

cmarcus

Any updates? Just ran across this build thread researching the Spurgin/Giovanine Roadster. I have a 250 ci Chevy 6 and the 3 speed/rearend from my old '50 Chevy that will need a home someday. This car will certainly be a visual inspiration if I can ever find the parts!

Jimmy B likes this.
  25. Back at it... well I haven't stopped.

IMG_1222.jpg IMG_1233.jpg

Last edited: Aug 10, 2017
  26. bct

bct

Some large panels for a one man show. Nice work.

27. Looking good, Jim!

28. Thanks! Yeah, they were a pain in the arse but the clean look was worth it.

Thanks!

29. Six Ball

Six Ball
    from Nevada

Thanks for the update. Good to see progress!

Jimmy B likes this.