Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Ford C4 woes

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Hubert Cumberdale, Nov 7, 2016.

1. Hubert Cumberdale

Hubert Cumberdale
    from jax,FL

Hello gentleman,

I finally (after 6 years) got my comet to move under its own power. Unfortunatly the transmission won't properly work.

The issues are and please bear with me as I know pretty much zilch about automatic transmissions.

When I start the car and go into gear,reverse,drive,whatever gear it works but I can't shift to another gear.Like if its in reverse first it won't go into drive after,but it does have a positive shift out of reverse.

When I drove it down the road it wouldnt upshift then the gear cut out.If I turn off the car and restart it,it will go back into gear.

The transmission worked fine.........ten years ago when I had it in my truck with the same motor.I never took it apart just put the motor/trans in the car as a unit.The only difference from then to now is a different shift set up,no kick down linkage,and a different trans cooler. I filled it up per the manual because it was a little low on fluid.I pulled the trans cooler lines to see if it was pumping fluid and it is.But the fluid is pretty milky(Im assuming from the torque converter).I was going to drain the fluid and replace the filter to see if that made any difference.But I figured I would see if anyone had some insight into the goings on with this tranny. Again I'm a big ol dummy when it comes to this.Hopefully I explained it well enough.
    Any help is greatly appreciated!

2. squirrel

squirrel

Milky fluid is usually a sign that there is water in it....did it get wet while it was stored?

3. Hubert Cumberdale

Hubert Cumberdale
    from jax,FL

It got rained on a few times while it sat outside of my garage a couple weeks.But besides those couple of weeks its been in my garage.

4. elba

elba

Take it to an O/H shop. They are one of the cheapest and easy to O/H.

5. deucemac

deucemac

A trans sitting for that long a time can develop many problems. Seals harden and valve body valves might stick and give irratic operation. If you don't know automatic transmissions, find a shop you trust.

6. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

If it got water in it that can't be good.
    I was under the understanding that they used water base glue on the clutch plates.