Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Tie rod ends on radius rod question

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Rustridden31, Nov 6, 2016.

1. Rustridden31

Rustridden31
    from Denver, CO

I plan on using tie rod ends on my radius rods up front and mounting them directly through the frame and not in a bracket. I've seen this done and when people do it do they weld in a tapered bung of some sort inside the frame or just drill a hole and stick it through with a nut in the back.
    In the pic I am holding a tapered shock mount that I was going to weld into the frame from the inside for more support. Is this needed or is there a better way? Thanks IMG_1478474895.601601.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

dana barlow likes this.
  2. bchctybob

bchctybob

If the taper fits the tie rod end properly, it's a great way to do it.

dana barlow likes this.
  3. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

When I was planning my present build, that's how I was going to do it. Looking back, I now wish I had followed through with it. Go for it!

4. Rustridden31

Rustridden31
    from Denver, CO

That's the thing, it doesn't. I was gonna ream it out to fit better but I thought I would try to gather other options.

5. :eek:

I would weld a diamond or long oval shape plate on the inside first to re-inforce the side of the channel and distribute the load. I'd then weld the bung flush with or slightly proud of the outside wall.

If boxed, same but with an access tube for a big enough socket.

Hackerbilt and Runnin shine like this.
  6. HiHelix

HiHelix

At the expense of being critical here...And I try not to do this but like many here I care about people and their project being the best it can be... and of course their safety.
    Although I am not a 3P-Zero-S (period Perfect POS) expert and lean way to the drag racing side of things I will ask these questions..1 are the welded tube adapter and the tubing compatible materials?2 why not just use a high quality rod end, ad a nice bung to the frame and grade 8 bolt it?. The first question is important because if that is a chromemoly tube adapter and mild steel tubing or visa versa you run the risk of it cracking off for two reasons 1 moly is not a good mig process candidate because of the carbon content and the filler material in wire welding is also not compatible.. also the heat from the Mig process is a big factor. If I am wrong about this and someone here with more street rod experience can correct me I sure would appreciate it.

7. panheadguy

panheadguy
    from S.E. WI

Ream it to fit the taper and it will be good to go

rpm56 likes this.
  8. Rustridden31

Rustridden31
    from Denver, CO

When you say rod end and bolt are you referring to a heim joint and bolt? Just making sure I am understanding. If so, I thought about that but I am trying to keep it more period-ish.

9. HiHelix

HiHelix

I am trying to keep it more period-ish. ---ok good enough

10. metalman

metalman

I'm with X38, weld an additional plate in to reinforce around the bung. By itself it could tear out of that 11 gauge frame rail. Definataly need a bung of some type, just a hole won't work, you would never get it tight and even if you stacked enough washers on it to it would wallow out in no time. Lot's of force there every time you hit a bump. Use a 7 degree tapered reamer in the bungs for tie rods, you want it to fit right and tight. Speedway sells the reamer if you can't find it locally but kinda pricey, might find someone with one to borrow or even hire to ream your bungs .

alchemy likes this.
  11. bchctybob

bchctybob

HiHelix is right but that "shock mount" pictured looks like the ones Speedway sells. If so, I believe they are not chromoly. However, you say that the tapers don't match? If it's Speedway's, it should.
    You might just look for another bung that fits the taper correctly. Or buy the correct reamer and weld a nice plate inside the frame where the rod end goes, then drill and ream it. Don't worry, you'll find plenty of opportunities to use that $80 reamer if you keep on messing with these old cars.
    http://www.speedwaymotors.com/Speedway-Tapered-Ball-Joint-Reamer-7-Degree,2918.html (be sure it's the right one)
    http://www.speedwaymotors.com/Frame-Mount-Plate-for-Tie-Rod-Ends-Pair,215975.html

12. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

When I built my T bucket I just cut the eyes off a pair of steering arms that had the same taper and with a few minutes of grinding had them to where we (my buddy) could weld them into the tabs I had made to weld to the frame. Easier to order the bungs than hunt down donor steering arms these days though.

13. Speedway's tapered "shock mount" bungs are too thick to fit a castle nut and cotter pin. Cut off steering arm eyes work the best as Mr48chev says. Never really noticed a shortage of cut off arms tho.

ANDEREGG TRIBUTE likes this.
  14. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

I had originally built my RPU using heim rod ends.
    I decided that I wanted to switch to tie rod ends instead for a cleaner safer job.

The fronts are 1/2" steel plates welded into sleeves in the frame.

The rears had to stand out from the frame a little so I made cones with welded in bungs and welded them into sleeves through the frame.

The bungs I made were tapered to the proper 7° with a tie rod reamer from Speedway.

I have a lousy Internet connection right now so I can't easily post pictures.

But you can see good pictures in my build thread here. Just scroll down the page.

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/26-t-roadster-pick-up-build-thread.460009/page-25

15. tie rods usually 7* taper

16. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

As I said right above.

17. Rustridden31

Rustridden31
    from Denver, CO

Hey thanks for the input guys. I'm gonna ream it out and do it that way. I will hole saw a hole and make the tapered shock mount flush with the frame so the shank doesn't go into the frame too far. Thanks fellas

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  18. There's an outfit called welders series they have a slick tierod mount kit. I don't know how to post a link. Google.

Sent from my SM-G900V using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

lothiandon1940 and nailed31 like this.
  19. Rustridden31

Rustridden31
    from Denver, CO

lothiandon1940 and nailed31 like this.
  20. mgermca

mgermca

Yep the Welder's Series bungs are what I used. Really nice product.
    Don't forget that that pricing on their website is in Cdn$, so that's 45USD$ and change, you cannot beat the price.
    Might want to order them before Tuesday in case the American dollar tanks in value mid-week.....just sayin'.

32Stoker likes this.
  21. nailed31

nailed31

22. krylon32

krylon32
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Nebraska
    1. Central Nebraska H.A.M.B.

I've used a thru the frame tie rod mount from R Jays Speed Shop in the past. Allows a socket to be used from the inside of the rails to tighten the nut. Very high quality and not expensive.

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  23. roundvalley

roundvalley

I have always used the weld in bung. Just make sure that the axle is at 7* caster before you mount the wishbone ends to the frame.

Last edited: Nov 7, 2016
  24. I don't like using rod ends on street cars for two reasons, 1) they don't really look appropriate, but 2), more importantly they aren't really designed for the rigors of thousands of miles of street use and end up wearing creating sloppy handling and a bit of noise.
    As for the bungs I usually TIG weld them and have Never had a problem with the Chromoly to mild steel creating any issues, use ER80S-D2 filler or even 304L (the SS rod will add some ductility to the weld). But you can most certainly MIG weld Chromoly to Mild Steel without any issues if you use the proper wire and watch both the initial heat and the cooling process so that the area next to the weld does not become brittle. Normalize the area after the weld if it is a high stress component. I have a freind who is a certified Aerospace welder with certs in Chromoly and he was the one who taught me.

HiHelix likes this.
  25. ANDEREGG TRIBUTE

ANDEREGG TRIBUTE
    from Bordertown

I had the same issue with mine from Speedway. I had to re-ream mine so the castle nut would fit properly. Just double check your stuff. I like the idea of thickening up the material on the frame right there too.

This is an inside view of mine welded to some 1/4" plate.
    [​IMG]

26. DeucemanLt1

DeucemanLt1

You need to determine where the end of the split bone will be once you position at 7 degrees caster. It may be below the rails as it was when connected to the ball on the k member. Tie-rod ends work fine for wishbone ends. They endure the same forces as in tie rod or draglink installations.

Last edited: Nov 10, 2016
  27. Rustridden31

Rustridden31
    from Denver, CO

I tried reaming out those bungs with a rotary file - no dice. I went to the wrecking yard, cut the arms off of a late model stang and used those. Turned out pretty good. Thanks for the input guys.
    IMG_1479599015.958081.jpg
    IMG_1479599035.737165.jpg
    IMG_1479599051.770063.jpg
    IMG_1479599068.271326.jpg
    IMG_1479599167.688023.jpg IMG_1479599196.037403.jpg

Attached Files:

bchctybob likes this.
  28. 340HilbornDuster

340HilbornDuster
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

BS1.JPG
    Cut
    BS2.JPG
    TIG'ed to tubing - perimeter and plug. (Skinny Socket fits inside - Crown Nut? Use HD thread lock)
    b1.JPG
    TIG'ed to inside of frame
    BS7.JPG
    Later TIG'ed to outside and inside to boxing plate,
    20160710_135851.jpg
    I'll find /make a plug for the inside hole later...

bchctybob and V8-m like this.
  29. V8-m

V8-m
    from Alaska

I did mine so...
    Fully boxed frame. It's going trough and TIG welded both sides. Custom big nut has been made (sticking out )

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 2, 2022