Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Suicide doors on a Model A?

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by txoldrodder, Nov 5, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. txoldrodder

txoldrodder

Has anyone made suicide doors on a Ford Model Tudor Sedan using the stock hinges?
    Looking for how to pictures and information?

2. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

3. Never2low

Never2low

One of the guys from the Relix CC, of West Michigan, did it to his coupe last winter.
    He's a member here, thou I don't know what his screen name is.
    Thought I had a pic, or two, but can't seem to find any at the moment.

4. wheeldog57

wheeldog57

I saw someone turn a passenger door into a driver's door without much trouble so the swap side to side sounds about right

Sent from my SM-G900V using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

5. Why would you want to do this?

Are you building a street rod? HRP

6. They were a bad idea in the '30's...........

Surfcityrocker, chopper99 and X38 like this.
  7. A Boner

A Boner

While your at it, why don't you do hidden hinges and shave the door handles too!

need louvers ? and Tman like this.
  8. dana barlow

dana barlow
    from Miami Fla.
    1. Y-blocks

May as well make them gullwing !,Ok look ,to me as if that should even matter,if the car didn't come that way new,it looks like goldchainer crap,not cool,but hay thats just me maybe. I just see nothing better about doing it. The things I try to do are for speed an looks cool stuff. I do like hidden hinges and shaved door handles ,I'm weird that way!

9. carsarme

carsarme

image.jpeg My body guy ,a Wyo Tech instructor said it is easy and ask if I wanted it on my 31 roadster build

10. carsarme

carsarme

Oh any help on 2" chopped stanched for a 31 roadster ,note how high they are with the2"" chopped windscreen.

11. 19Eddy30

19Eddy30
    from VA

Add safty latch then all good!

Maybe if it had 32 header , slite wedge top& rounded top of door ;)

afaulk likes this.
  12. clem

clem

Easier to get in and out of.
    Looks neat.
    Needs a safety catch.

alanp561 likes this.
  13. I guess the first step would be to "flush fit" the rear door jam area, and sounds like swapping doors side to side would work.

14. Hackerbilt

Hackerbilt

A buddy of mine did it to his 29 sedan delivery.
    Swapped the doors side to side and braced the pillars.
    It's a pain in the ass getting in and out...plus the drivers door has popped open twice for different reasons and it took a bunch of work each time to realign the door and repair the damage to the door post/quarter from the hinges getting over-stressed.
    Both times they popped it was at a very low speed.
    I can only imagine the damage potential at highway speeds when the door becomes a huge parachute!

My opinion is that its a lot cooler "sounding" than it is in actual looks, operation or use...especially on a car with regular size doors.
    3 window Deuces etc had huge doors for a reason!

BTW...my T has suicide doors and even those little things are a pain in the ass.
    Fixing them over the winter.

15. kasselyn29

kasselyn29

Looks like a nice little roadster. Leave doors my two cents. Maybe that is a red ram hemi. Tell me its a four speed would be to good to be true.

16. A old club member of mine who has since passed away did the suicide doors on his chopped 2 door sedan back in the 80's was NOT easy to enter or exit,when doing this to the doors the don't open wide enough.

I will agree,if the OP goes ahead with the idea IT will definitely need safety latches.

17. Looks like another tuner gimmick. I wouldn't do it to my car...

nunattax and chopper99 like this.
  18. TR Waters

TR Waters
    from Vermont
    1. Early Hemi Tech

It is "traditional". Look at a 33-34 Plymouth.

afaulk likes this.
  19. 5window

5window

The look is up to you-it's your car. But, I echo the sentiment that using stock hinges would be suicide. Getting into an A for the average adult male hotrodder body shape is interesting enough. Suicide doors would be fun-if you used Twister boards as interior door panels.

20. belair

belair

It's good, but is it art? Another "just because you can..." ideas.

hotrodjack33 likes this.
  21. As did Ford in 33-34,whats your point?

The 33-34 Plymouth's & Ford's were considerably more advanced in styling,the Model A's were still as aerodynamic as barns~ ans I mean no disrespect,I have owned several Model A's and still have a soft spot for them.

Other than chopping them the zooty modifications that are generally accredited to the street rod builders,Easter egg paint jobs,billet aluminum,graphics,tweed interiors and in my opinion suicide doors on Model A's are not traditional. HRP

nunattax and mad mikey like this.
  22. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

Yea, cause you know, ALL the REAL HAMBers know that's not "traditional":rolleyes: Yea, I know,I know, George, FUCK OFF with that history stuff!! We are too busy re-writing it, we dont need to know anything about it.
    [​IMG]

23. Hombre

Hombre
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Way to go Barlow, you just insulted about 98% of every one on the HAMB. Your quote " If the car didn't come with it new, it looks like goldchainer crap" Covers almost all of our cars. Every Model A with any V8, any Duece with a chop, any custom with a different set of tail lights and the list goes on and on. What in the hell do you think the purpose of a Hot Rod is? It is to change what they didn't come with "NEW" and make it your own.

I guess the old adage applys here "If I have to explain it to you, you wouldn't understand anyway."

alanp561, K.L, kiwijeff and 1 other person like this.
  24. I'm not insulted, in fact I agree with Dana,I think you are reading in something in that Dana didn't say,his tongue & cheek analogy referring to designs that are not done to improve performance or enhance the look ~ thus the gull wing analogy.

Remember the famous Bob McGee roadster that graced the cover of Hot Rod magazine in October of 1948? as I recall Bob's 1932 Ford had hidden hinges and no door handles. HRP

dana barlow likes this.
  25. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

I have to agree with Dana. Maybe his humor (tongue-in-cheek, as Danny pointed out) was inadvertently taken out of context.
    Heck, even R-- Rod Model A's have suicide doors! :D

dana barlow and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  26. 19Eddy30

19Eddy30
    from VA

IMG_0756.PNG
    This is close to Gullwing

dana barlow likes this.
  27. Hombre

Hombre
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

You certainly may be c0rrect that it was a tonque in cheek remark. It however didn't sound that way to me. It was just another case of a guy who thinks his judgment should be substituted for our own.

I never ever have a problem with some guy having a different opinion, I may feel that it is full of shit but he is for sure entitled to what ever opinion he wants to have. When they no matter who they are bring a total disregard to others opinion then that is when I have a problem with that.

alanp561, K.L and afaulk like this.
  28. txoldrodder

txoldrodder

THANKS, EVERYBODY!
    But the more I think about it the more i'm going to keep the door like they are!

Last edited: Nov 6, 2016
    dana barlow likes this.
  29. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

Well, shit. The idea kinda grew on me after a bit more looking. Keep 'em. I know Elliot Ness is thinking, "We'll shoot his ass good with the doors like that."

kiwijeff likes this.
  30. 19Eddy30

19Eddy30
    from VA

My opinion looks OK my taste of modify it a little bit more and it is easier to get in and out when the door swings wide ,, I have A and 32
    Build it the way you want, that's what makes it A HotRod,
    Not every build style was in the Magazine's , there were thousands and thousands of cars built that were never seen except by locals who lived in that town ,so who knows what was really done ,, The pioneers of our hobby thought outside the box!!! Different ideals then Ford ,Chevy ,Chrysler, Studebaker &so on ,

"""""Jalopy, HotRod ,Kustom , those Dam Kids !!"""""

mad mikey likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.