Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Help leather or vinyl?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by robracer1, Oct 30, 2016.

1. olscrounger

olscrounger
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

all the 40's I have done are leather--like the look and feel-agree with Krylon 32 above

2. A few things to think about.... One, a black cover out of any material will get hot enough to fry eggs on a hot sunny day with an open car. Two, leather 'breathes', vinyl doesn't so expect a sweatier ride with vinyl.

Besides the cost difference, leather requires more care compared to vinyl and can be harder to repair (if needed).

Ned Ludd likes this.
  3. Gman0046

Gman0046

robracer1 X2. We just drove from Florida back to Kentucky. Saw lots of dead Nauga's along the I-65 road side. Prices will probably rise even more.
    I've got no problems with man made products as long as it doesn't smell like a shower curtain.

Gary

robracer1 likes this.
  4. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

So to sum up Crazy Steve's input while waxing poetic;

In any kind of the weather,
    I'd rather have leather.
    vinyl's a safe bet,
    but makes your ass sweat.

Johnboy34 and falcongeorge like this.
  5. Andy

Andy

I have a grey marine grade vinyl in my roadster. Been there since 1990. It has seen more than 100000 miles. It still looks new. I have had leather in several cars wear out in the same period. I have been flooded more times than I can remember and it has set out in the sun at shows. Leather would not have lasted.

6. metalman

metalman

Done both, really don't care, either works well and looks good if done right. I generally use leather in the cars I build to sell, buyers love it when you say leather. Keepers I use vinyl, but I'm cheap.
    When I bought a 40 project the seller gave me some hides he had bought for the car. Told me it was rare "Italian" leather and they don't make it anymore. I told him I think they still have cows in Italy!

Bandit Billy likes this.
  7. 57JoeFoMoPar

57JoeFoMoPar

I like the look of vinyl, and it's durable, and easy to clean. A little Blech-White goes a long way on white

8. dana barlow

dana barlow
    from Miami Fla.
    1. Y-blocks

I did all black on my very first seats in my hotrod "A" roadster in 1959. Had to keep a beachtowel handy all the time to keep from burning my butt off an anyone riding along. From then on,its always been ether two tone or a lite color. White looks great new,but PITA too keep clean,looks bad faster then other colors. I didn't have a folding top tell a few years ago,it helps with sun an hot seats,but roadster tops no matter who makes them leak,leather is very bad idea in open car
    . My 2 cents,after playing the game a very long time!

tb33anda3rd likes this.
  9. I just finished my interior a few months back. As I built it for myself, and have no intention of selling it. I did it in leather 20160802_162940.jpg . Feels like a million bucks and smells even better.

10. robracer1

robracer1

Has anyone done leather seats and used vinyl on door panels and trim to save money and how did it look?

olscrounger likes this.
  11. krylon32

krylon32
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Nebraska
    1. Central Nebraska H.A.M.B.

My retired upholsterer used to do that routinely. He was really good at matching the materials and only the really knowledgeable could tell the difference.

swifty and robracer1 like this.
  12. Ralph Moore

Ralph Moore

Being from Alaska, my favorite is Beaver, everybody likes Beaver![​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

wheeldog57 likes this.
  13. swifty

swifty

My upholsterer did the interior of my coupe with leather seats and vinyl door panels, kick panels and head lining and it was no extra cost. He matched the vinyl/leather real well and it was all in white.

olscrounger likes this.
  14. Ned Ludd

Ned Ludd

Many OEMs have done that too. Basically the leather goes only on the high-wear areas, which are also the areas you're likely to touch. That is the current plan for the Morris Minor. BMW E30 seats can look a lot closer to the era than their provenance suggests, depending on the upholstery pattern, and they're narrow enough for the Minor. They have rigid plastic backs which can be covered with adhesive-fixed/heat-formed vinyl. The facings could be had in leather from the factory.

tb33anda3rd likes this.
  15. Ned Ludd

Ned Ludd

On the other hand, wear or unrepaired damage to leather could look a lot less offensive than worn, damaged vinyl. I can see nicely weathered leather; I can't say the same for vinyl.

16. wheeldog57

wheeldog57

My 2 cents: I am cheap but I want leather. I found an old love seat out for the trash. Beautiful burgundy old leather, even the back was leather. I used a razor knife to hack it all off. I have enough for my roadster seat and side panels. FREE IS FOR ME!

Sent from my SM-G900V using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

17. denis4x4

denis4x4
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Colorado

Been there, done that. Paid top dollar for leather designed for installation on INTERIOR furniture and after it got wet, stitching pulled out.

18. wheeldog57

wheeldog57

hmmmm, I will have to talk to the apholsterer about that

19. cartman4gc

cartman4gc

Just do nice quality vinyl, then stuff a baseball glove under the seat so it smells right!

20. Katuna

Katuna
    from Clovis,Ca.

[​IMG]

Do you pull them apart and eat the middle first or eat it all at once?

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

21. Leakie

Leakie

Dunk them in milk first.

Katuna and tb33anda3rd like this.
  22. wheeldog57

wheeldog57

I have been thinking about this. . . Scary, I know but how can leather be different? Interior leather must be from sensitive cows