Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Hydraulic release bearing

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by PHIL COOPY, Oct 22, 2016.

1. PHIL COOPY

PHIL COOPY
    Member Emeritus

Is ther a hydraulic realease bearing that works with a standard 39 style crash box?
    Phil

2. speedshifter

speedshifter

After having problems with shoddy quality hyd release brgs, I prefer the old style release fork that protrudes out the side of the bellhousing. Then connect an external slave cyl to the fork where it is easy to adj the freeplay from outside the housing. Of course if you are limited in space, then maybe the hyd bearing is the way to go. Greg

Hnstray and loudbang like this.
  3. rockfish

rockfish

I totally agree with speedshifter.

4. speedshifter

speedshifter

Thinking back I believe my 39 trans uses a shaft that twists to move the release brg. It definitely would take some extra work to twist the shaft from a slave cyl or use a mechanical linkage as Ford did. Sorry for the error. My 76 yr old brain let me down again. Anyone else not satisfied with (aftermarket) release brgs? Greg

5. no55mad

no55mad

Not satisfied here! Doesn't take long for them to start leaking. Lots of labor to replace verses a slave cyl with a fork set up. If space is a problem, the fork can sometimes be installed on the passenger side.

loudbang likes this.
  6. I have a Speedway external slave and Wilwood master on my set up. Using an AFCO stock car line. This is the same set up I've used in the past with stock cars. I have about 1200 miles on it and am pleased with it.

7. PHIL COOPY

PHIL COOPY
    Member Emeritus

Decided to go with external hydraulic setup after reading reports above...thanks folks.
    Phil

8. Kiwi 4d

Kiwi 4d
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Have you chosen what parts to use for the external hydraulic clutch yet?

9. PHIL COOPY

PHIL COOPY
    Member Emeritus

Not yet.....I'm still on the frame...just trying to plan ahead..
    Phil

10. ace5043

ace5043
    from Florida