Register now to get rid of these ads!

Flathead V8 on Model A Rails?? How?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by CoalTownKid, Jun 11, 2005.

1. CoalTownKid

CoalTownKid

OK,...
    What adjustments, removals, etc will I need to drop a Flathead V8 onto a set of Modeal A rails?? I briefly heard something about either needing a different set of motor mount brackets or crossbrace or both and more?? just want to have everything I need going into it before I dig in.

thanks in advance!

Jason

3. AV8 Dave

AV8 Dave

I'll second Harry's suggestion on buying Mike Bishop's book. Couldn't have built my AV8 as far as I have without it! I've read mine to death and STILL get stuff out of it! Regards, Dave.

4. av8jon

av8jon

Me Too!! Definately get the Bishop/Tardel book...............I used two, one in the garage and one next to my lazyperson chair.

5. 296 V8

296 V8
    BANNED
    from Nor~Cal

This is what step one looks like. Or you could bring the car – motor & trans – fab tools all together for a looksee and ………….
    [​IMG]

6. fab32

fab32
    Member Emeritus

As if you neeed any more endorsements, get the Bishop/Tardel book for sure. It's probably the best written book on the subject. It gathers ALL of the old traditional ways of building hot rods under one cover. Like someone else said, I've got two. One for the shop and one for the library.

Frank

7. Flathead Youngin'

Flathead Youngin'

The book will save you a lot of money and a lot time....buy it!

...better than a good 1/2" ratchet!

8. The37Kid

The37Kid

Barnes & Noble stocks the Bishop book, it is a MUST HAVE item.

9. av8

av8

Great book! I used it a couple of weeks ago when I carved a Deuce K-member to fit a Model A frame.:D

The book is now in its third edition -- and still has wrong wishbone info. The '32 is correct, not too long. The '33-'34 is too short, by about 1-3/4 inches. Sorry for the error. We have never figured out how we did that!

I lengthened a '33-'34 wishbone a couple of weeks ago, using a Model A yoke. I'll put together a short how-to and post it here this weekend for those of who have a '33-'34 wishbone. Consider it my penance.:)

Mike

[​IMG]

10. Devin

Devin
    from Napa, CA

Just this weekend I tacked in my flathead mounts into my A frame. The book is great and has instructions for an un-boxed frame. However, I purchased my chassis partially boxed. I could have modified the instructions from the book, but I pussed out and wound up buying motor mounts from Chassis engineering. All the specs were supplied on where to install the mounts. After some careful measuring and trimming I tacked them in. The motor fits without a hitch and clears the radiator just fine. Probably cost a bit more than making them myself, however.

11. CoalTownKid

CoalTownKid

Well, I guess I'm buying the book!!...LOL :D

thanks guys
    Jason

12. 55olds88

55olds88

yup its a great read, was lacking on the how to fit an Olds rocket to your Model A bones....... never mind will figure that bit out, even for the Chassis and build texch its well worth it.

13. Donald A. Smith

Donald A. Smith
    from Brook In.

Could someone tell me the number of bishop Book at Barnes and Noble? I need to buy it. Thank you

14. Mr cheater

Mr cheater