Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical 36 FORD COOLING PROBLEM HELP!

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by bondolero, Oct 1, 2016.

1. ValveTubeHead

ValveTubeHead

2. bondolero

bondolero

zips will solve that but does not create more room between. Have one on my chevy also. Also centers fan in radiator helping immensely.

3. Dooley

Dooley
    from Buffalo NY

i have a 350 sbc with a walker radiator, with a small mech fan, 14 inch or so my temps creep up at stoplights

I added a spal fan to the front of the radiator with a temp switch in the intake and an override toggle in the car.

At cruise its 180 at a long light as soon as it hits 190 the fan comes on, and stays on until it cools back to 180 at cruise.

The override is for when its hot and I go to start the motor while the fan is on ( fan is actuated with the key on)
    i can shut it off so the volts go to the starter, then flick it back on

4. jimcolwell

jimcolwell
    from Amarillo

My engine runs 220 on a 100 degree day at 70 mph with the a/c on high. It's a stock 350/290hp crate engine, walker radiator, stock water pump, cooling concepts fan/shroud, 190 fan switch in the intake manifold,190 thermostat. The engine needs to run hot for emission reasons. My plugs are tan in color. I get around 18 mpg. If it doesn't puke water walker says drive it.

Attached Files:

5. bondolero

bondolero

Guys were telling me my wp pulley is too large at 7" but it seems 6" single grooves are not available ?
    Will a smaller pulley really help that much ?

6. TagMan

TagMan
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

If my old HS math still stands, with a 15" fan and operating RPM constant, by changing from 7" pulley to a 6" pulley, you should see an increase fan rotation of just under 20%. I'd say that would be a substantial increase.

7. bondolero

bondolero

Your math is correct. I also wonder what the diff is with a single groove for a long pump as that seems to be the only single groove available in 6.125". My double groove 6.25 limits the amount of blade turn back on a mechanical fan with the first groove I am not using. I now own 5 different fans.
    Nobody seems to give the depth of the pulleys in their catalogs.

8. Petejoe

Petejoe
    from Zoar, Ohio

Not without some custom bkt designing.

9. brokenspoke

brokenspoke