Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Vintage roundly round pics

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Moriarity, Oct 30, 2016.

1. GearheadsQCE

GearheadsQCE
    Alliance Vendor

These are pics of my mentor Joy Fair, the all time winningest oval track driver in Michigan. (Over 700 feature wins between 1948 and 2000) He taught me about Quick Change rear ends and later trusted me to build them for his race cars.
    The links below will give you some further information.
    The second one has been revised considerably from the original. Leaves out a lot of information. If anyone wants more 'Joy Fair', I'm still in contact with his family. You can PM me.
    58 Ford.jpg 719 Checkers 2.jpg Early Fair Story.jpg Falcon.jpg Fearsome Foursome.jpg Trophy Ad.jpg
    The 4 guys in the 5th photo are: Russel Wainscott- car owner, Fair, Bob Newton - founder of Hoosier Tires, and Bob 'Gilly' Gillian - Owner of Dearborn Crankshaft also known as Moldex. I've got stories about all of them. Fair was a master story teller as well as being a great teacher, chassis guru, and driver. They are all gone now.
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/54856062974/
    http://www.mmshof.org/inductees/joy-fair/

2. Just found this, no history
    Looks like Martinsville VA
    Hank Thomas? on the door
    [​IMG]

3. 14671309_10208278050692995_1421596849905788549_n.jpg

Found this on the internet... that damn fb actually. A fresh '40 coupe ready for the track. This one was sponsored by Ham's Cafe in Plainview NE, photographed by Harold Mauck and quite possibly driven by him as he was into racing at the time. I passed that cafe on the school bus every school day in the early 60's and my family knew Harold and his wife Tina fairly well.
    In those days in that part of midwest it seemed that every gas station or highway related business had the remains of a well-worn jalopy out back. Mostly raced at local fairgrounds at that time...

4. Gary, dang your a regular Magnum PI. I see that car is Buick powered, if I remember right most of the guys had chevy's and it sounded like they were cranking the rpms out of too. Bob

5. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

3 Winder Ham...B
    (Dayuum)

Ham_B.jpg
    :rolleyes:

Credit to Owners, Photographers &
    Original Posters

Last edited: Nov 3, 2016
  6. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Cool pic and story Warbird...
    They spelt it wrong...:D Question do you think thats a hole in the hood to make some quick adjustments or just a blob of ink?
    Ham_B_Cafe.jpg

warbird1 and dana barlow like this.
  7. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

>>>Oh Oh<<<
    :eek:

Lookout.JPG

Original Posters

loudbang and Max Gearhead like this.
  8. gene-koning

gene-koning

OK, I have to question the racing heritage of this pictured 40 coupe. I believe it may be a replica of one they ran at one time. No front bumper, headlights, hub caps, running boards intact, and no visible roll cage. Looks like mine, probably no real racing history, but I'll bet it, fun to drive, and it brings back some great memories for a lot of people.
    The hole in the hood could have been for additional air flow, or could have been access to a hood latch mechanism of some kind. There is probably a matching hole on the other side you can't see from this angle.

Stogy likes this.
  9. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Crrruisin...Round the Bend
    (and a few others)

Bob Pronger.jpg

Seay1938.jpg

af65acdee9fa16e29a6d8d3df31c2445.jpg

$(KGrHqR,!qwFHl0HNPP3BR6vRSqo2w~~60_1.JPG

Original Posters

10. Yeah another pic of it shows a matching hole on the other side of the hood. Good call...

Don't know about it being a replica as I believe the pic was taken in the late 50's/early 60's. I'm trying to track this car down; a present day resident of that area has a '40 coupe that Harold Mauck raced back in the day... still runs it on the track. We're trying to determine if it's the same car or not.

lothiandon1940, loudbang and Stogy like this.
  11. jvpolvere1

jvpolvere1

There's something special about finding and sharing old photos. Hopefully technology will not render this obsolete. Snap away with your smartphone ladies and gentleman.

Sent from my SM-T377V using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

loudbang and Stogy like this.
  12. IMG_1491.JPG
    Just tossing together a Flathead now to blast this old heap back down the track

13. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Just a question about those wild cage things around the cars.
    I know they were no doubt for safety but do you think they may have decreased it by being big, clunky and making drivers more likely to bash sideways into oponents?

Gruntis likes this.
  14. k9racer

k9racer

To me on the 010 Ford it looks like paint. Look and you can see a eye brow above the spot; I guess that it was to look like something was doing a stare you down. Next the roaster no 11 with Mickey mouse on the side was ownen by a African american named Charles Black. He had some good results on the Ohio roadster circuit.

lothiandon1940, loudbang and Stogy like this.
  15. 13001320_463543587173442_2316105080645255444_n.jpg
    Yep these raced as Heavy Hotrods and bashing and pushing as acceptable racing ' Stopped being stabbed by opponents Pointy Hubs" most times, but there coming off

16. k9racer

k9racer

The first place that this was popular was Solider Field in Chicago . Lots of crashing and banging. If you notice the skid bar on the RR of the comet automotive car has bolts to remove the skid rail for tire change.

loudbang, Stogy and Gruntis like this.
  17. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Thats a great observation K9...and thanks for the history. These are really cool machines. Many Hotrod influences here...it is truly amazing.

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  18. toml24

toml24

Jalopies from 1960 and 1962 in Southern California. #88 & #89 are Cliff Garner.
    1962-CLG13-car 88 in pits.jpg 1960-CLG15-gs-car 89 in pits.jpg 1960-BM-os-may 21st-car 63 in pits.jpg

19. Nope, not paint. I'll have time to post the other pic of it tonight... in it you can see through the hood.

loudbang likes this.
  20. My Dad leading the pack at Raceway Park, Shakopee, Mn. Dad ahead of the pack.jpg

loudbang, Moriarity, Stogy and 3 others like this.
  21. AHotRod

AHotRod

22. Maucks 40 II.jpg

Here's the other pic of Mauck's '40 coupe... note that you can see through the hood in this one.

23. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

You guys should check out some Aussie stock car racing. The cars look like these, but are a lot faster, and the racing is more like roller derby! Gary

24. gene-koning

gene-koning

What a great look at history, and race car development.

The #88 coupe was probably the 60 version. Notice how nice and clean everything was? The stance is perfect, the side bars are very small and the front bumper is a nice curved graceful item. There is very little radiator protection. The car is so straight, it must have been very early in the season.

The 89 is probably the 62 version. Though still a pretty sharp looking car, its a bit more rough around the edges. The frame has a dip at the firewall that is not present on the earlier car. The side bars are a larger diameter and appears to have been field tested, it has a slight bend in it. It also looks like the body behind the side bar has been bent, the frame at the center of the door is more visible then it is at the front and rear edges of the body. Also notice the front bumper is much more sturdy, and there is a lot more radiator protection. I also found it interesting that it appears the sedan has a 3 hoop roll cage. There is the front hoop at the windshield, the center hoop at the rear edge of the door, and another hoop at the rear of the car.

I don't car what anyone else says, that #63 is a gorgeous car. Gene

Stogy likes this.
  25. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Couple More

004-Epa-Ban-Race-Cars-Update-airborne-jalopy.jpg

HudsonHornets.jpg

user6_pic6933_1355091933.jpg

1aa067b5c4d34d6639de9d761a1834d5.jpg
    and looking back to boot...:rolleyes:

19MFlynn.jpg

49JimRooper_HaroldDean_owned.jpg

5sedan.jpg

8866.jpg
    Kinda like a turtle on it's back...

8b209f98196f8998ab86383d57352738.jpg

sept_fifty_nine.jpg

Credit to Owners, Photographers
    & Original Posters

Last edited: Nov 5, 2016
    Max Gearhead and loudbang like this.
  26. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

One for Falcon

86BillMears.jpg

Credit to Owners, Photographers
    & Original Posters

dana barlow and loudbang like this.
  27. This is Wink Hinkely from Grand Gorge NY 56 Ford at his first race at Mid-State Speedway.
    The car was is red primer with shoe polish lettering.
    My father's name is on the door Willard.
    [​IMG]

After paint-
    [​IMG]

The car got re-bodied as a 66 Fairlane at some point and was parked for 40 years.

This is myself and the original crew digging it out back in Sept.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The original crew left to right-
    Edward Docskalik, My father Willard, and Wink Hinkley
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

Myself in the drivers window-
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 5, 2016