Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods model A shock problem

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by tb33anda3rd, Oct 31, 2016.

1. what is this bolt/screw sticking out of this for. i have never seen this and the brake rod hits it when the car leans or hits a bump. DSCF0005.JPG

2. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I dont hunk I have a closeup of any of the stock shocks on my Model A Vic's frame bit i'm that bolt is something that someone stuck in there because that is what they had rather than the correct bolt.

3. there is not supposed to be a bolt in there or at least that i remember ever seeing.

4. flatford39

flatford39

Yeah it shouldn't be that long. It's an adjustment screw. If I remember you loosen it at the nut and adjust the stem with a screw driver and then lock it down with the nut. Yours isn't right.

5. even if the head was flush i think it will still hit the rod. something else must be wrong also.
    weird driving it, the body rolls and applies the brake on that side, which pulls the car in the other direction, which in turn rolls the car and applies the other brake...........like driving on an icy road.

RICH B likes this.
  6. Bud Crane

Bud Crane

Correct model A shocks are thinner. (I think)

7. i measured against an original [that had a shorter screw] and the bodies were the same. i took the link off and worked the arm, i then screwed the screw all the way in. no difference in the feel of the arm. i tried this with both shocks and no change [that i could feel] so i screwed them in, pulled the brake rod straight and it did not hit again.