Register now to get rid of these ads!

Folks Of Interest 1938-1939 Ford Truck Club!!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by squigy, May 12, 2010.

1. 38 cab the windshield crank comes straight back the 39 comes out top of dash . Post some full pictures of your cab and build or better yet start a build tread . Blue

2. dorf

dorf
    from ohio

mine is a 38 with a 39 latch and grille . the gas tank was behind the seat and it had a round heater under the seat .

JOYFLEA likes this.
  3. fureone

fureone
    from antioch ca

JOYFLEA likes this.
  4. fureone

fureone
    from antioch ca

JOYFLEA likes this.
  5. fureone

fureone
    from antioch ca

6. krobert56

krobert56

Well your passenger side hood hinge is 38 -- drivers is 39 ----- they have different ways of mounting the hood sides ;)

JOYFLEA likes this.
  7. '38 hood sides rattle more than '39s do, because of the difference in '38 and '39 hood hinges.

JOYFLEA likes this.
  8. fureone

fureone
    from antioch ca

9. scotts52

scotts52

Does anyone know where to find rear fenders for a 39 tonner?

10. I have a radiator question. Does the car radiator fit the trucks and does the '38 and '39 cross over.

11. 51504bat

51504bat
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Don't know about a car radiator in a pick up but I'm putting in a new Brass Works radiator in my '39 - picking it up next week and I'll have the stock one that's currently in the truck available. I'm in SoCal. PM me if you're interested.

12. 51504bat

51504bat
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Good luck. They're made of unobtainium and if you do find them they are usually all beat up

13. Car rad. Does not fit . Walker makes one hat is a bolt in . Have one in mine and has been great . Blue

14. The37Kid

The37Kid

Found this '39 cab at Hershey just washed it and got it in the garage for starters. All my projects are older so I'll have lots of questions. It came from South Dakota, only buggered up areas are under the cowl belt molding, some farmer fix fender bracket I guess. Bob DSCF5211.JPG

15. krobert56

krobert56

Yup rare rare very rare -- But ya know== I do have a pair of all beat up ones laying out in the back yard ;) in Tacoma - the term "starting point" comes to mind

16. The37Kid

The37Kid

These grab handles were bolted to the inside of the roof on my '39 that was a big truck. My guess is that farm workers would stand on the running board at harvest time, can anyone confirm that? DSCF5234.JPG DSCF5236.JPG

17. The37Kid

The37Kid

This is the bad part of my '39 cab, if someone has a cab they are cutting for parts I could used a good upper section. Bob DSCF5229.JPG

18. unibody madness

unibody madness

How beat are they,and what are you looking to get oit of them? Send me a P M please

19. There are 3 different radiators for '38 and '39 commercial/truck. One is for the 60 HP engine, it will have 82C stamped on the upper tank near one of the hose fittings. The one for 85 HP pickups is stamped 81C on the upper tank. The big truck radiators have an extra thick core and are stamped 81T. The radiators are the same for '38 and '39. A friend had a NOS big truck radiator that he found in the attic of an old Ford dealership in Georgia. It will fit a pickup and is now on my '38 pickup. It cools a small block Chevy with no problems. Two expandable rubber freeze plugs to close off the extra hose connections, I don't hesitate to drive my truck on 100 degree days in the summer, and the temp gauge never goes higher than 175-180 no matter what.

20. Did any of them have a recessed area for the fan in the upper tank.

Also is it common to rust in the band above the front windshield. Is that panel a double panel or can I get to it from the backside.

21. 1 more, when did they go to a metal floor in the bed instead of wood slats?

22. The37Kid

The37Kid

Mine is rust free on the outside, looks like there is a T section between the top of the windshield and roof section, like the back of a Model A just smaller. Bob DSCF5353.JPG DSCF5355.JPG

23. The one I went to look at had rust bubbling, but no holes yet. Pretty decent truck overall but that rust...if I get another vehicle is has to be ok to use now with minimal work......no more projects. I would feel bad if I didn't fix the rust right away. I wonder if I can blast it inside and out, weld up any holes, fill and prime. I don't want to be forced to cut out that piece.

roof-1.jpg

Last edited: Oct 31, 2016
    unkamort likes this.
  24. unkamort

unkamort

I'm also interested in how folks are handling the seam above the windshield. The two panels on mine look OK (for now), but there is what looks like a folded 'bead' between them, like in the photo above, with material missing.
    And... I knew I didn't have the right ones. My hood hinges don't look nuthin'like that.

25. Can anyone help me with some details or photos to locate where the stop switch and chain are supposed to be located on a 1-ton 1938 truck with cable brakes? I have found info on the pass cars and 1/2 tons but nothing for big trucks.

Also looking for the correct length and location to hook the clutch pedal return spring on the chassis of the same 1-ton truck.

Getting really close now!

26. All 3 '38-9 truck radiators have the fan recess in the upper tank. All of these trucks had a sheet metal floor over the wooden subfloor in the bed.

27. verde742

verde742

If they truly are "starting point" Alyn Swedberg in Centralia Wash. can make them "brand new"

krobert56 likes this.
  28. Anyone?

29. Randy1944

Randy1944

I am happy to join this group. I am loving my 39 and it is a great truck.

The37Kid and JOYFLEA like this.
  30. The37Kid

The37Kid

Did I buy a 1939 windshield frame or not? Center post is cut out, how much area does the rubber gasket cover? No hinges or regulator to center things yet, stamped A.M.Co. Bob DSCF5452.JPG