Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Eastern Mass Timining Association?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Thelost40, Dec 16, 2010.

1. Thelost40

Thelost40

Has Anyone heard of the Eastern Massachusetts Timing Association?
    I am looking for a jacket patch for the above named. I've heard of East Coast Timing Association but not this one.
    Anyone? :confused:

2. Thelost40

Thelost40

Hello Hello is there ANY ONE out there that has heard of this association?

3. RidgeRunner

RidgeRunner
    from Western MA

Never happened to hear of it but then again I never claimed to know everything and am out here in the Western trerritories.........

When/how did you hear of it? What time frame did they supposedly run? Type of vehicles? Tracks, locations?

Ed

4. flash

flash

Hmm I just had the same question, glad I searched first on the HAMB! A friend just sent me this show card from the EMTA. I'd love to know more about this group if anyone out there has info.

5. flash

flash

forgot attachment:

Attached Files:

6. Thelost40

Thelost40

That is so cool! I was beginning to think the association didn't exist! Now all I need to find is the patch. I don't know much about the association though, my father's car club belonged to it.

7. Slick Willy

Slick Willy

There address is right there on the card! Just send them a letter:D

8. Church Key

Church Key

Although I am not familiar with EMTA, I think we will find that Jack Doyle has something to do with it. Doyle was based in Salem, MA., and was the first manager of New England Dragway. Car shows at the Malden Armory started around 1955 and the last one I know of was 1965. The building could hold only about thirty to forty cars, which was typical of the armory shows. The building was still there and vacant the last time I went by it around two years ago.

9. Slick Willy

Slick Willy

I think its a teen center or a YMCA of sorts now

10. six pack to go

six pack to go
    from new jersey

Pick up the book, "Cool cars, square roll bars." that may help

11. You might also want to speak with Richie Willet about it.He used to show his Deuce at the Malden Armory shows.Maybe even one of the old timer Orientals because they may have had something to do with putting on the show.
    Jack Doyle is probably the one to ask.

12. flash

flash

I'll definitely ask Richie next time I stop by his place. I go there once in awhile to drool on his phaeton and the in-progress modified with Hal motor. The armory is now a YMCA. I used to work about a block from there. "Cool Cars Square Roll Bars" doesn't mention the EMTA, they do reference the Eastern Seaboard Timing Association but I think that's a different group.

13. Thelost40

Thelost40

Yes, the Eastern Seaboard Timing Association is different. I am in Malden often and will have to check out the YMCA. I also know Richie but come to think of it, don't know if I've ever asked him about EMTA. Let me know what you find out!

14. Thelost40

Thelost40

Is Jack Doyle still around? I've never heard his name mentioned before. No luck in Cool Cars Square Roll Bars. Already read that one. Buddy George told me he has an old sticker of EMTA and I'm looking for a jacket patch but not having much luck.

15. Church Key

Church Key

Jack Doyle is still around and is at the track during the nostalgia drags and the big meets.
    The car shows in Malden, were put on as a joint effort by the Hi-Winders club from Lynn, MA. and the Orientals club in Reading, MA. They also put shows on at the Salem Armory and the Topsfield fair building. Still no positive answers on the EMTA, I will ask Jack Doyle the next time I see him.

16. flash

flash

I stopped by Richie's place today and he definitely remembered those Malden armory shows. church key I also printed out those awesome photos for him that you posted in the other Boston thread going. He loved 'em.

17. T-Bone

T-Bone

Hey, I know this is a really old thread and I haven't been here in quite awhile but Google lead me here whilst looking up "Eastern Mass Timing Association". My father passed away nearly two years ago and I was recently going through some of his personal effects and came across these patches. Dad was a member of The Orientals and was involved with the founding of New England Dragway. (in what capacity I do not know) He had a blown hemi powered dragster and stayed involved in hot rodding/racing thru the early 60's until raising a family became a priority. Our family got involved with street rodding in the late 70's for a bit. I remember Richie Willet as part of my parents "crowd" (he drove an old city bus for awhile and owned a junkyard which we visited semi-regularly). Anyway, enjoy the picture (please, none of this is for sale). I'd have more pics, but all my dad's stuff is still with my mom in NH and I live in Georgia...perhaps another time

Attached Files:

• ECTA.jpg
      ECTA.jpg
      File size:
      253.2 KB
      Views:
    Last edited: Nov 2, 2016
    NoSurf and kidcampbell71 like this.
  18. wheeldog57

wheeldog57

19. Thelost40

Thelost40

WOW!!! Thank you so much for replying to this old post and putting up that picture. At last, I know what the patch looked like. I understand that it's not for sale but now that I have a picture of it, I could have a repo made. Thanks! Sorry to hear about your father passing. I know Richie Willet and Tommy Steed from the Orientals. The hot rodding world is a small world I've discovered. :)