Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects The Second Chance Coupe

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by VCS, Nov 1, 2016.

1. VCS

VCS

So last year I did something stupid. I had been building my once in a lifetime dream car, 29 Ford AV8 Roadster on Deuce rails.

Pretty much followed the Vern Tardel DIY recipe of one part flathead mixed with 40 rearend, juice brakes and a chaser of a top loader 39 transmission.

Then I sold it along with every single part I had one my shelf.

I then proceeded to kick myself every day for having done it.

Attached Files:

AndersF, zombiecat and cadillacoffin like this.
  2. VCS

VCS

I did remember that when building that car I really liked the architecture of the later 30's Fords. They were a Lil bit bigger and had some modern amenities compared to my Model A.

I waited a good six months without buying a single car part, no swap meets or shows either. Actually cleaned out our garage and I think made the wife happy no rusty junk was blocking her way.

So I thought I would buy a 35-40 frame and see where it took me.

AndersF likes this.
  3. VCS

VCS

I found a local HAMB guy who just happened to have a 36 Frame (thank you circle jerk!) he was really helpful and also gave me allot of leads. I am a bit of a scrounger by nature so I started finding other parts locally and across the country. Before I knew it, I had the start of a 36 coupe of some kind[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Sent from my iPad using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

4. VCS

VCS

The frame was already set up for a TH350 and SBC so I just had to follow then path outlined and build the car. After walking allot of rows at Pomona and Long Beach swap meets, I knew chevy parts weren't exactly hard to find

AndersF likes this.

5. VCS

VCS

The hard part though was a body. I knew I didn't want a sedan but couldn't afford a coupe. But then my HAMB buddy turned me into a lead for local car. It was advertised on Craigslist and wasn't too far away. The seller was a cool guy with an awesome collection of cars.

It was a chopped five window coupe. It had also been bobbed, channeled and generally cut on quite a bit. It was sitting on a frame with a full set of front fenders and a hood.

Went down and took a look, but just couldn't swing a deal and had to leave empty handed.

I looked around at other cars but couldn't get that car out of my mind. Finally, with what I already had in my garage (frame,and front clip), I made the seller an offer for just the body. I think he knew how much I wanted it and agreed to sell it to me[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

6. VCS

VCS

I loaded up my truck and rented a trailer to head off to the desert outside of Southern California to pick up the car. I was really excited to finally have another Hot Rod! That is when I started to referring to it as the "Second Chance Coupe"[​IMG]

7. VCS

VCS

I also started reading about 36's and found one I feel in love with, the Pierson Brothers tow car. It's history has been well covered elsewhere, but one small part really got me interested as it spent part of its life in my block city of Burbank, CA before it was rediscovered and restored to its former glory.[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

AndersF and kidcampbell71 like this.
  8. VCS

VCS

I knew I had a long way to go before I should start thinking about the Pierson brothers car, so started putting the rolling chassis together[​IMG]

I also knew that I didn't intend to build a period correct car ( sorry no TROG). Being full fendered offered me the ability to use some more "modern parts". I wanted a car I could find parts locally and not have be constantly searching for.

As I dug into the frame I discovered it had Chassis engineering motor and transmission mounts (or at least part of them). I called CE up and they were very helpful in sorting out what I needed to reinstall the parts properly.

It was at that time I decided I wanted to build a hybrid modern /traditional car. Not a street rod, but something easy to work on. Basically Henry Ford Straight axle up front and convert to parallel leaf spring in the rear with a modern rear end.

Because my Model A Roadster was a hodge lodge of parts, I also decided to use as many actual 1936 suspension parts up front as possible. While not easy I rounded up the steering box, spindles and drag links and assorted bits.

What really kicked my ass was the front axle. I failed to realize how hard it was to put everything together. Nothing seemed to fit, until the hot rod gods smiled on me and I managed to find a complete front axle at the LARS swap meet this year.[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Once I had it, took the wishbone down to a local hot rod friendly welder and had him split it for me and weld up the bungs

9. VCS

VCS

So a word about the brakes, I also decided after hunting for months for a good set of juice brake drums (they have become rare I these parts of Socal). That again I would bite the bullet and go with disk brakes. I ordered the speedway kit which uses the stock spindles with an F-150 truck rotor and Impala calipers. I ordered only the spacers and bearings, sourced my own rotors. Again easy to walk up to my local auto parts store and buy/ replace with no difficulty.

The choice of disk up front helped me choose the rear. I thought about a 9" but knew this car wasn't going to be making passes at Famosa or Irwindale, so went with something off the grid.

I looked at the stock 36 width and started to compare that to modern cars. Now most of the nova and camaro 10 bolts are already gone ad are drum anyways. So I found a cheap cheap 2004 Mustang rearend on Craigslist. It was from a V8 car and was already setup for disk brakes. I ordered the CE rear spring kit and started installing it.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Picked up a couple of Ford truck wheels and before I knew it I had a rolling chassis!

10. VCS

VCS

Funny once you start making progress, things just start coming together. Within a couple of hours of getting the chassis together, I had test fitted the extra floor I had purchased as well as the body[​IMG]

[​IMG]

AndersF, T-roaster, AHotRod and 2 others like this.
  11. VCS

VCS

Next up was the engine. I had found a cheap core engine/tranny mock up the power train

[​IMG]

I discovered I had allot to learn about small block chevy's! I never knew there were so many different combinations of brackets, pulleys and positions of components

So with help of my daughters boy friend, we got the engine installed next

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

AndersF, T-roaster and AHotRod like this.
  12. NashRodMan

NashRodMan

Cool write up and story. Good luck with the car!

13. porkshop

porkshop
    from Clovis Ca

The guy you bought the body from is here on the HAMB. Docauto is his screen name

14. AHotRod

AHotRod

AWESOME Hot Rod ....... I love it !

15. VOODOO ROD & CUSTOM

VOODOO ROD & CUSTOM

Great Build, the Old School Way.
    VR&C.

16. Pete

Pete

Can't wait to see this coupe take shape. I love when vintage tin is saved and returned to the road.

17. Glad you're "on it". Keep sending us pics.

18. 40LUV

40LUV
    from Mid Jersey

Keep it coming. Here is more inspiration. 100_2574.jpg 100_2575.jpg 100_2822.jpg

19. steinauge

steinauge
    from 1960

Car is looking good!

20. Jonnie King

Jonnie King
    from St. Louis

VCS...Very good start ! Take your time...do it your way. It'll be a great driver !
    Jonnie
    www.legends.thewwbc.net

21. VCS

VCS

Hello, wanted to thank everybody for the kind words and support.

Continuing on the first time I assembled the car with the 35 cowl, nothing fit right including the hood. After reading up about 36 Fords, I tried things a Lil differently for version 2.0. Got another hood and tried the 36 cowl 36 start 2.jpg IMG_20160925_175250.jpg

22. VCS

VCS

Also gave the engine a dress up, even if it IMG_20161017_173613.jpg is a SBC it can still look "traditional"

23. VCS

VCS

IMG_20161017_174227.jpg Figuring out the clearance of the steering box took some research, used a 265 Chevy exhaust manifold and offered plenty of room.

AHotRod likes this.
  24. VCS

VCS

The waterpump was another story

Here is the short water pump, unfortunately this version (Early Camaro and Corvette style) puts the alternator in a position that is actually where the fender is supposed to be
    IMG_20160925_150759.jpg
    Here is the long water pump ,close fit but the alternator and everything lines up nicely (Later Camaro and Chevelle style) IMG_20161017_174401.jpg

Last edited: Nov 5, 2016
    Molinellihornet and AHotRod like this.
  25. As the great Mel Allen once said "how about that!". What a great story and an even better build. I can't wait to see the finished product

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

26. VCS

VCS

Hello All, it's been awhile since I posted anything. Life kinda kicked me in the ass and now I am getting a divorce. As a result the second chance coupe is now for sale. Funny I was getting so close to making it a three window conversion, I have a pair of Tudor doors and an original three window roof to be included in the deal. Please PM or email [email protected] if interested

27. CadMad

CadMad

I feel your pain mate. Same thing kicked me in the ass two years ago. I'm still clambering to hold on to my several unfinished projects. Talk about crushing your dreams and ambitions.
    There needs to be a thread on "What to do when life kicks you in the ass".