Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Calling all 1955 Bel Air enthusists

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Zack Methvin, Oct 31, 2016.

1. Zack Methvin

Zack Methvin
    BANNED

I have a 1955 Chevy 2-door Bel-Air with a 454 big block & TH400. Does anyone know if there is a boneyard donor car that I can utilize the power steering gear box from without having to re-invent the wheel or am I going to be forced at some point to spend $600 on a P/S "kit" that I don't have the funds for? For those who will ask the question, yes It WILL BE CONVERTED to power steering one way or another so my wife can drive it with ease. I'm just checking to see if anyone out there has found an alternative to the "kit" route. Even if i have to do some minor fabrication mods to it that is fine. I already have converted it to power disc brakes and now I am looking into the converting the steering.

Thanks

triman62 likes this.
  2. The after market units work well. You may have header and box interference. This depends on how you set the mounts up. Don't be surprised that you have to install some dents in your header with the big hammer.

3. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

Guys used to "build" their own using the 605 box, modify various parts, and combine the old box with the new. Now, everyone is going with the "500" series steering boxes. You can get the COMPLETE 500 kit, on that auction site we all know and love, for less than $600.00. You can even make PAYMENTS through PayPal now. You can't really beat that. You could buy everything seperately; it would cost more in the long run, but you would't take a big hit at once. The 605 conversions had issues returning to center without some "help", so I would't consider them now. My Sedan Delivery is still manual steering, and will remain that way; I would put a big, stock wheel on it before converting to power. I am Butch/56sedandelivery.

4. belair

belair

Don't forget you can put bearings in steering linkage, replacing the bushings. Poor man's power steering.

olscrounger and stillrunners like this.

5. plywude

plywude
    Member Emeritus
    from manteca ca

Kenasaw Racing Corp make's a nice power steering unit that bolts in, if I remember right it was under $ 350. complete. They build stuff for Nascar.They are on line @ KRC.com

6. squirrel

squirrel

The 605 was a crappy box when it was new (almost 40 years ago?)....the modern setups are better. But the 605 would still work, if you want to do it the old fashioned way...you can do some junkyard scrounging, some grinding, and some welding, and have some fun.

I guess I'm lucky, my wife can still drive with manual steering, but she's had a lot of practice.

Moriarity and stillrunners like this.
  7. Gman0046

Gman0046

I've utilized GM 605 boxes on several cars with no complaints.

Gary

8. Król

Król

Used a GM 605 box on my 56 worked great, but turned out to be a leaker. Changed to a CCP500 no problems so far.

9. Andy

Andy

What about the stock system? They worked just fine and bolt in.

10. squirrel

squirrel

I think it's pretty common these days, to not be able to fix all the leaks on the stock system. But it is a good idea.

11. Zack Methvin

Zack Methvin
    BANNED

12. squirrel

squirrel

Have fun! That swap has been done a bunch of times. I had all the parts for it, but never had the urge to actually do it to my 55. I guess I'm just not old enough.

OLSKOOL32 and Moriarity like this.
  13. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

Exactly what I was referrencing. Most guys will also add a grease fitting to the "stub" left over from the stock box. You can still buy the mount plate, but it bolts on, and welding is more stable. You could probably go to ChevyTalk.Org or TriFive.Com, and post an ad looking for someones old 605 setup when they converted to a new 500 system; a lot of guys have done that. May save you some time, money, and frustration to go that route. That's the thing with the Tri-Five Chevrolet cars and their popularity; advancements are always coming. I am Butch/56sedandelivery.

14. flatmotor40

flatmotor40
    from georgia

I used a 605 and still leaks no matter what.Did this in the 80's

15. ididntdoit1960

ididntdoit1960
    from Western MA

x2 on the stock setup - same box, just need to replace the drag link, idler arm and pitman arm then add the control valve and cylinder. the system can be driven by any gm pump, you do not have to use the generator mounted one....

16. Zack Methvin

Zack Methvin
    BANNED

Thanks Butch / everyone. This has been very helpful.