Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical 40s 50s flathead plymouth vacuum advance diaphram

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by plymouth1951, Oct 28, 2016.

1. plymouth1951

plymouth1951

Hi, I have a 51 Plymouth flathead and several compatible distributors w vacuum advance canisters. The canisters do not hold vacuum thus are trash? So, before I throw them away, I was wondering if they can be rebuilt and whether I should get them to a rebuilder. I have asked around and can't seem to find new production vacuum canisters. I know there are still some pricey new old stock units avail so likely that would be my source for a new one. Hence, my question is whether I should continue on my plan to throw my dead ones away or whether there is a reason to keep them?, whether they can be rebuilt?, who might rebuild them and related costs? What does everyone think?

Also, if there is new production stock avail please advise. Thank you.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

2. Hud I

Hud I
    from Tennessee

There is a guy in TX that rebuilds them. Don't have his info at hand. It is not cheap. If you can find a nos is cheaper. The trouble with nos, the diaphrams have dried out and sometimes do not last long. hope this helps. LHud

3. Flat Six Fix

Flat Six Fix

Last edited: Oct 28, 2016
  4. oj

oj

My experience is that the NOS ones are bad too, its the age not the use of them.

5. timothale

timothale

dodge pickup ones fit but the grounding wiring is different