Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical What did you do today?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Daniels Auto Repair, Jul 9, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. HAHA Well I don't know about me but I bet you will need to do more than bake a pumpkin pie for your wife if you end up in the hospital because you refused to go to the doctor when she said you should.:oops:

2. HiHelix

HiHelix

Get in there dude... never like to see someone under the weather!

3. I'm not a doctor although my name is DR Berry but I play one ever now and then ~ you need to get to you GP as soon as possible. HRP

Last edited: Oct 29, 2016
  4. Hope to have finished by April and look like this .
    IMG_0122.JPG
    Get to your dr. , get a chest x-ray , and flue shot . MHO Blue

Chavezk21, kiwijeff, wraymen and 2 others like this.
  5. Kinda bogged down with cement work today; but was able to pick up some steel and saw up (after fixing the band saw) some more press parts. More welding ahead. IMAG1178 (Small).jpg IMAG1076 (Small).jpg

6. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

Not much, played on the HAMB mostly. I ran over my own foot last night pushing my car into the garage, in slippers. Hurts like a MF to walk on but I still hobbled out to the garage a couple of times.

1027161902[1].jpg

wingnutz likes this.
  7. WZ JUNK

WZ JUNK
    from Neosho, MO

My current project is coming together but it is not a purest HAMB car. It is a 54 Chevy that I have worked on in-between other projects for the last few years. My wife drove it some this weekend as we continue to fine tune and debug it. I will paint the front clip this winter and my wife and I plan to do the upholstery ourselves. It is to be our road car and we plan to travel coast to coast to attend events that are new to us. I did the frame and suspension, the throttle body engine and 200r, air, wiring, bodywork and paint. My intention was to build the complete car myself however I did have help with the exhaust. After owning the car for the last 14 years, we drove it for the first time two weeks ago. There were long periods of time in those 14 years that I worked on other projects but I recently decided to get this one on the road. Today and the last few days was spent fixing or replacing new parts that did not work or did not work like I expected them to work.

John

54driver20.jpg

Chavezk21, wingnutz, kiwijeff and 4 others like this.
  8. Ouch! God damn bunny slippers. Take it easy, heal up

9. I dropped my Jetaway a few weeks ago, got sick and am so tired of recovering I'm gonna crawl down to the barn and finish this task today.

Blew a seal in the front end.
    Tore it down and assessed it wasn't the front seal
    IMG_1477659909.393291.jpg
    Along with the fact that the inner case was dry, I could see the fluid shooting out at high rpm into the starter recess, and all around the flywheel, IMG_1477660559.170197.jpg
    so it was either a crack in the torus cover (unlikely, and I couldn't find one), or somehow the torque converter O-ring somehow had a blow out.

Cleaned all surfaces, changed out O-ring
    IMG_1477660224.549609.jpg
    IMG_1477660297.669974.jpg
    Carefully put flywheel back, (lots of blind assembly with these spaghetti seals, so you never know if one twisted until you reassemble, reinstall and run it)
    IMG_1477660425.934411.jpg
    I've dropped this thing more times than my pants when I had food poisoning, so it should go back in quickly.

In any other part of my life it drives me insane to have to do something twice, but with old cars and bikes, when they break and I have to fix them over and over it brings me great joy and I can't wait to tear into it. IMG_1477661194.671841.jpg

10. We put a Chevy in a Chevy this morning; I know it's not as exciting as a Ford in a Ford; but it is what it is.;) Pursued some garage clean-up (unsuccessfully) in the afternoon.
    IMAG1181 (Small).jpg

11. RainierHooker

RainierHooker
    from Tacoma, WA

The Tudor has been having some hard starts and weak spark so it was time for a tune up. This part was feeling a little crabby...
    image.jpeg

And it boiled down to these crispy crunchy critters...
    image.jpeg

New points, condenser, and she runs like a top now.

12. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

Got the brake booster on the 55 and plumbed but need help to bleed the brakes so it will happen this weekend.

jeffd1988 likes this.
  13. jeffd1988

jeffd1988

Took my grandma out to breakfast. Then replaced my front shocks on my o.t truck. Then bolted up my power brake booster assy on my 59. Next is to start the plumb.

14. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

Finished the brake booster installation,did some gravity bleeding and have brakes. Next time I get someone here I will do a proper bleed to flush some of the old fluid out,its not original parts but all OEM.

Attached Files:

15. I did more brake work - plumbed in a proportioning valve. I'm using kunifer but still struggling to get the bends just where I want them and flowing nicely. Practice makes perfect I hope - so I have bought another roll of brake pipe. Made a couple of pipe bending tools to get smaller radius bends.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

16. jeffd1988

jeffd1988

Im using kunifer to. Go to harbor fright and buy the bending pliers

17. squirrel

squirrel

I put 3.00 gears in my 55, to replace the 2.75s. and removed the locker. The little 283 don't need it.

wingnutz likes this.
  18. low budget

low budget
    from Central Ky

Getting the 55 back on the road? Last I remember I was thinking you borrowed some stuff from it for the chevy II but I may have missed something you may have shared since.

19. jailbar joe

jailbar joe

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    had to drop some stuff at the trimmers and grabbed a couple of pics....
    the last one is the detail in the vynil...a holden ek fabric...you can just see the stars...now when I bump my head on the roof I will really see stars....

kiwijeff likes this.
  20. Just got out on the interstate and put about 90 miles on the red sedan,it's been a while since I drove it. HRP

[​IMG]

kiwijeff, jeffd1988 and barryvanhook like this.
  21. squirrel

squirrel

It's been on the road. I took the blower off it in 2014, also put in a different transmission. I haven't been driving it much. I decided to put a 283 in it, just to see how it does. Extra motivation, I have a stupid idea for yet another car for drag week, which would need an 8-71 blown 454, so it was a good excuse to pull the LS-7 out.

the car is fun to drive with only 230 hp. The most fun thing is, thinking about the guys telling stories from the old days, when a 55 Chevy with a power pack 283 was the fastest car in town. :)

wingnutz and low budget like this.
  22. Jim636

Jim636
    from Wyandotte

Wet sanded the fenders door and running boards on the old 40 pickup ...........I hate body work.

JOYFLEA likes this.
  23. low budget

low budget
    from Central Ky

Cant wait to see what your next car is gonna be....

24. David Gersic

David Gersic
    from DeKalb, IL

Took a last drive for the year through the local countryside. Washed off the 2016 bugs. Planning changes to make, and places to go next year. Filled the tank and added Stabil, 'cause 2016 is done.
    [​IMG]

Sent from my iPad using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

25. After a couple days getting the garage cleaned up; got back to fun stuff; prepped and dropped a bunch of brake plates and hubs off at the sandblaster, rebushed & reamed some spindles for a friend, and started fitting boxing plates to Mike's '33. I also proved to myself (and not for the first time) that you should always fill a car with water the first time; I installed the temp gauge capillary tube and adapter finger tight when doing the wiring on my '35. Spent the rest of the day visiting the MPLS VA.
    IMAG1194 (Small).jpg IMAG1196 (Small).jpg

26. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

Pulled the rear drums off the sunliner to inspect before the trip to Daytona and found one leaking axle seal and both wheel cylinders need replaced,I am suprised the wheel cylinders lasted 10 years since they were NORS parts from the 60s that I just used instead of buying new ones back then.

27. The weather is unbelievable,83 degrees today,drove the red deuce sedan to work. HRP

28. Finished fitting Mike's boxing plates and tacked them in. Welded a tab onto my coil bracket to keep the plug wires clear of the throttle linkage; just needs a clamp for the wire harness. Hung a mechanical oil pressure gauge on start-up.
    IMAG1204 (Small).jpg IMAG1209 (Small).jpg IMAG1212 (Small).jpg

29. Struggled with a lower control arm bolt & it's bush. wire brushed, clean, grease, repeat- it aint right , but i may chuck it in just so I can get the crate on wheels to haul it's arse outta where it is.

30. I ordered new disc pads for the IMG_20161102_135701.jpg IMG_20161102_135616.jpg IMG_20161102_135551.jpg IMG_20161102_134358.jpg Hudson, seeing as how the right side ones disappeared in my shed.
    I've searched and searched........

Went for a ride in a stock unrestored, 1922 Essex. Took a few pics, made three vids, then my phone battery died.
    What a Damn fine machine. Second gear fair screams, but who cares, it made my week!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.