Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects The '38 Ford Build Thread... Again...

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Ryan, Oct 24, 2016.

1. Roothawg

Roothawg

Gotcha. Heavily influenced.

2. I tried to buy a 38 Deluxe Sedan before I found my 40. I would've bought it if the guy (2nd owner) wasn't totally drunk on the price. Coincidentally, that car is currently on Craigslist for 2k cheaper than what he priced it to me, but now it's dealer owned.

Anyway, I've always liked the 38-39 standard. And your coupe stopped me dead in my tracks at my first Texas event which was Day of the Drags around 2007.

3. Petejoe

Petejoe
    from Zoar, Ohio

Sancho likes this.
  4. Roadsir

Roadsir

There a black 49-51 Merc from Nebraska that has kidney beans, fuel cap, & other hot rod queues that is really a neat car....I searched but couldn't find a pic...Might have been featured in R&C? Maybe someone else has pic, sounds like the look and style you might be after.

Any plans for the small block that's coming out?

5. AHotRod

AHotRod

Kind'a sounds like your building a Hot Rod Ryan .... will the inside be 'race' inspired? Maybe diamond tuff style?

6. Do you mean the Matthew Fox Merc?

160973_Rear_3-4_Web.jpg

7. Roadsir

Roadsir

No, That one is cool, but a little pro-modish....The one I recall is a more understated, narrower PSI kidney beans with real knockoffs.

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  8. Roadsir

Roadsir

63fdsnr, loudbang and falcongeorge like this.
  9. alchemy

alchemy

Find some real Halibrands. Let them turn gray. Perfect mid-point contrast color between the black and the new shiney stainless.

falcongeorge likes this.
  10. Blakmerk

Blakmerk
    from St.Joe MO

Hmmmm. I Love that car. Hell Yeah.

11. Phillips

Phillips
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

"“It’s already in the schedule,” he said.

Funny, that. Good friends and family often know what one is thinking, before one even realizes they are thinking it!

This is gonna be good.

12. Malcolm

Malcolm
    from Nebraska

Nnnnooooo!!! ;)

loudbang, cactus1 and Roadsir like this.
  13. great to hear it's back, and with action on it's heels. Always loved those previously posted 'early' photo's and illustration, although this one burned a hole in my memory that I still find inspiring, on multiple levels.

[​IMG]

Cheers, and looking forward to the updates,
    Drewfus

63fdsnr, Tim, 509garyd and 2 others like this.
  14. youngrodder1929

youngrodder1929

iv been lurking here for a wile now crazy how time flys cool to hear how it all started out iv pretty much grown up (sort of) 15 to 25 now on the hamb can't wait to see the rebuild !

Cooon and kiwijeff like this.
  15. metalman

metalman

When I bought my 39 coupe the guy was so proud of the one piece moulded windshield he had put in it yet I almost passed on buying because of it. Luckily I spotted the original hanging in his garage, wouldn't buy the car unless he thru it in. Changed it out right away so I understand completely, just didn't seem like an old Ford looking thru that big one piece glass. The fold out is nice as well, provided your not following a cattle truck (ask me how I know!)
    39 standard coupes are one of my all time favorite body style, a 38 deluxe is just a slight notch below (I prefer the smoother roof to trunk line) so looking forward to following this build.

loudbang likes this.
  16. This is going to be killer! Can't wait to watch the progress!

17. buzzard

buzzard
    Alliance Member

18. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

I haven't seen that picture in years man. Thanks for that.

Drewfus likes this.
  19. The37Kid

The37Kid

The car sure sits nice, what is the axle drop and wheel/tire size? Bob

20. Well? You posted that on the 24th. It's now the 1st. It's next week, so where's the updates man?!? :D

21. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

I actually ordered a part for it today... in fact, it's the only part on the car that's really gonna stray away from the mid-1950's or so period - a tremec TKO 500. I've never owned a car with overdrive and I'm pretty excited about it. Road trips in comfort!

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Eric1967, MUNDSTER, OL 55 and 4 others like this.
  22. NashRodMan

NashRodMan

Hmmmmm......Its real quiet here now.

Roothawg and Speedy Canuck like this.
  23. swifty straights

swifty straights

Looking forward to see the build! The car looks awesome now! Can't imagine how its going to look when it's done!

24. 22 track

22 track

Ryan, I am glad you have seen the light on modern transmissions. As far back as 1969, Tom Senter wrote an article in R&C explaining how modern transmissions made playing with traditional engines like (Ardun) flatheads so much more enjoyable. A while ago you wrote an article praising Ford top loader transmissions for their authenticity. I remember when it was common to replace them weekly if you got on the throttle hard. It is much more fun to be able to use all that hard earned power freely and to have an overdrive besides.

25. Don't forget the man's still recovering from surgery guys.
    I'm keen to see this bad 38 come together as well, and I don't think we'll have to wait to long.

Tim likes this.
  26. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

Honestly, I still think for around town driving there is nothing more fun to shift than an early ford top loader. It's just so tactile.

This is a different car though.

27. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

Thanks man. I'm getting better for sure.

63fdsnr and kiwijeff like this.
  28. Nice, you will love that tremec. The Rocky33 would not have been the same w/o the overdrive

29. Gary Addcox

Gary Addcox
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Here I thought you were a delinquent from California, yet you turn out to be a college graduate. LOL. Seriously, I think your coupe has the "look" it deserves. After all, it is actually the "beginning" of the venerable '40 Ford with its body style being the same except for the cowl sides, and to a rookie, it is one. Just my opinion, but no one makes a tail dragger out of a '40, so I personally hope you don't make yours into one. The proper steelies and 'caps, the sinister rake make it every bit as "in" as the finest '40. Just my opinion again, and like assholes, everyone has one.

30. Gary Addcox

Gary Addcox
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Hell yes. Traditional or not, that extra gear makes things quieter in the cab, decreases the revs of your engine, and increases hell out of gas mileage. My buddies laughed at me when I insisted on O/D in my Deuce, but I have the last laugh at 22.5 mpg to California and back three times. I saved a bunch on those trips. You will love it, and who gives a shit what others say or think ? It's your rod. Build it your way. Damn, where have I heard that ? Cruising at 2000 rpm's instead of 2700. Go figure.