Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical ***October 2016 Banger Meet - Great Pumpkin Time!***

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Jiminy, Sep 30, 2016.

1. Crazydaddyo

Crazydaddyo

2. burl

burl
    from Minnesota

Now i see how you did that.I left enough on the inside so I could still load up on a four jaw chuck and not have it come flying out of my lathe.Does it seem to make a difference going down to that light of weight ?

3. youngrodder1929

youngrodder1929

1477457073990.jpg
    The aluminum one was 28lbs shipping weight from specialty cams see how it goes last one was around 38lbs if i remember 1477457178704.jpg

Sent from my GT-I9502 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Dannerr and burl like this.
  4. you are counting weight with out the clutch right? Maybe a stupid question, but you never know.

5. denis4x4

denis4x4
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Colorado

Just weighed mine on a balance beam scale and it came in at 36 pounds.

6. Crazydaddyo

Crazydaddyo

I mount it to a crankshaft end that in mounted and trued in a 4 jaw chuck. I can take the flywheel on and off without changing the set up.

I don't know what you are running it in, but if it is just a hopped up street car, then you will not see much difference between 45 lbs and 36 lbs.

7. Where's the other two holes for the flywheel? :eek:
    I know the crank would need to be drilled but if you have it all apart, I think it would be worth the time and effort!:rolleyes:
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 26, 2016
    Dannerr likes this.
  8. Bluto

Bluto
    Member Emeritus

The BIG engines round here weigh less than all-0-yalls flywheel...... motto is don't work on nothing you can't carry round under your arm :cool:

Last edited: Oct 26, 2016
    Crazydaddyo likes this.
  9. V4F

V4F
    from middle ca.

that's amazing jim .

10. youngrodder1929

youngrodder1929

You have a very good point I'm going to look into doing it

530sandman likes this.
  11. V4F

V4F
    from middle ca.

sandman has an ohv - more hp than a flat head

12. fourd

fourd
    from Colorado

Is anyone using a Yapper Riley 2 Port Head and not using the intake valve plugs in deck... with success?
    If I rip the motor out for the port plugs I may work the head over. How about porting the intake? If you did the porting was it worth the effort? There seems to be plenty of iron there and I would match the intake.

Attached Files:

13. I would definitely at-least match the ports! I have a friend running one, and it's a really good running car! He didn't build the engine but If I was you, I would plug the holes, if that's what it calls for!?
    Mine is plugged and has holes to use as a guide for the push rods! I did have to ream the holes because they were a little tight! (Mine is a 4 port cross flow CRAGAR)
    Joe

Dannerr likes this.
  14. youngrodder1929

youngrodder1929

Pretty sure yap has some plugs still kicking around as far as porting goes i am going to as well as flow it, It couldn't hurt there is a lot of massaging that could be done in there pretty rough design flow wise

Dannerr and fourd like this.
  15. I always understood the purpose for plugging the holes was to get as much surface for the head gasket to grip as the theory was that the gasket would/could slip under higher compression. The plugs were to be fitted as close as possible then dressed flat with a file or the block resurfaced. Most are pressed in but I have the block for my 4 port and the plugs are brazed in.

Sent from my iPad using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

16. H and H has the plugs, and I would definitely resurfaced the block just to be sure, also check all the block threads, in-case you need repair! (It would suck to get it all done then as you torque the head down, you pull a stud up!!!!:eek:)
    Joe

17. Jiminy

Jiminy

18. V4F

V4F
    from middle ca.

I actually said some thing "interesting" ............... cool ...... thanks