Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods People Without A Clue

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by stanlow69, Oct 27, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

Try, give it a shot...;)

2. GearheadsQCE

GearheadsQCE
    Alliance Vendor

got so tired of people calling my '56 Sedan Delivery a Nomad that I got peronalized plates that say, 'NONOMAD'.

Didn't help one bit!:rolleyes:

3. Probably didn't help because then they figured you stuttered while telling the dmv guy what you wanted the plate to say.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. Raiman1959

Raiman1959

I have to admit, ....there are way more smarter people here on the HAMB then I am.....I just can't bring myself to say: "I know everything'' about cars, engines or what makes them tick (I could have gotten away with it when I was 17 perhaps).... That said, I have learned to ask questions, and the more I learn, the MORE I realize I don't know!!!....I can't see the end in sight, and at my age, I don't think I will ever know everything now...and that's a bummer:confused: It keeps me humble realizing it, but....I sure would like my own coffee cup someday that states "Know It All'' and not spew my coffee out when someone calls me on it... a wild look of darting eyes, and state "Who me???" ...while I'm constantly looking behind me.

I'm glad there are ''smart'' people here to help me, and if I have a silly question, it's asked in honest unknowing need....I'll be learning yet one more thing hopefully, and add that to my list of ''know everything'' page #2 ( page #1 is nothing but mistakes!) of my wish list...but, the pages are many empty sheets till I get em' all filled up I'm afraid....don't think I have the years required....but makes me appreciate all of you who do know these things for sure.:)

5. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

any day that I don't learn something is a wasted day...Life is short, and theres a lot to learn.;)

6. partssaloon

partssaloon

Enjoy sitting at car shows listening to comments from spectators. Two guys walk up to my 52 Ford pickup that I have a injected 302 Ford engine in. First guy says, alright a Ford in a Ford, second guy says nah, all these hot rod guys put Chevys in them and then write Ford on the valve cover to make you think its a Ford.

clem and chriseakin like this.
  7. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

Short cut for saying that all five mains have four bolts..I think factory high performnce ford and chevy and aftermarket made some, might still do..

8. cfmvw

cfmvw

I had someone come up to me once and comment on how much work it must have been to put the motor in the back of my Volkswagen...

9. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ
    from NJ

That's easy. Just try to pick the head which looks more porcupiney to you. Left or right.

Jack E/NJ

porkers.jpg

10. Z06-LITE

Z06-LITE

I suppose some people think a "stovebolt" is used to hold your stove together......

volvobrynk likes this.
  11. They are...............

12. deucemac

deucemac

Yes and sadly, the hamb has it's fair share too

Gary Reynolds likes this.
  13. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Well in the years I worked in shops both in
    Texas and Washington I lost count of the mechanics I worked with who were hell for good wrenches but didn't give a rip about modified rigs and weren't car enthusiasts in any way shape or form. I worked with a couple who thought I was nuts to modify a rig at all and when showed up with my T bucket thought I was crazy in the head for even driving it. With that I don't find it surprising that the gent with the Rivi didn't know or much care that the engine was called a nail head by most car enthusiasts. Reminds me of when I asked my father in law what engine was in the late 60's early 70's Ford sedan he had just bought and he said "a blue one". The 390 served him well on the road but he could sure have saved a lot of gas if he had bought a similar sedan with a 302 to use on the road as a salesman.

deucemac and falcongeorge like this.
  14. I consider myself fairly well versed in the automotive world, hell they pay me to teach apprentices at a trade school, I'm also a hot rodder, that being said I tend to use proper terminology and not slang like "rat" and "mouse" etc. I also avoid talking cars with people who spew random car terms they read in a magazine! I guess in the end I probably won't impress all the "experts" here that know everything, but I'm ok with that! Oh and George, I understand the terms you use just don't have the patience to get involved in most of the conversations! Whew! That was a bit of a rant! Carry on.....

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

15. Yeah they are! The old timey cool ones.
    Chevy used stove bolts to hold the valve covers down too

Gary Reynolds likes this.
  16. Roadsir

Roadsir

Right after this picture was taken...
    Beautiful Bob wearing Raybans at Dark:30 approaches: "How much for the car?"
    Me: (with a laugh, and caught a little off guard) I'm Not sure I want to sell it.
    Beautiful Bob wearing Raybans at Dark:30: "I'm not fucking around, how much for the car"
    My buddy ( hollars and laughing): "Are those real fucking Rayban's,? you better hit him high if there real fucking Raybans"
    Beautiful Bob wearing Raybans at Dark:30: "Put a price on it, I'm fucking serious"
    Me: OK $50k
    Beautiful Bob wearing Raybans at Dark:30: pacing around.... "I've got a check in my pocket for $25K, to buy a hot rod."
    Me: Well, that's not enough to buy this car.
    Beautiful Bob wearing Raybans at Dark:30 (starting to deflate): "I'm looking at a hiboy coupe, (I know the car, glass, kind of a Porsche raspberry older build) but want a sedan"
    Me: Well, this is the real deal.
    Beautiful Bob wearing Raybans at Dark:30: Can you open the hood?
    Me: Sure
    Beautiful Bob wearing Raybans at Dark:30: What's that?
    Me: 401 Buick Nailhead
    Beautiful Bob wearing Raybans at Dark:30: Oh, Is this a Vicky.
    Me: No this is a sedan, Original steel, has history, Halibrand rear, old lacquer paint.
    Beautiful Bob wearing Raybans at Dark:30: Well this is what I want. 50K means you'd take 40K
    Me: Do you have 40K?
    Beautiful Bob wearing Raybans at Dark:30 (deflated): Give me your number.
    Me: Ok
    .........Crickets, must have been fake RayBans....

upload_2016-10-27_19-25-58.png

17. robracer1

robracer1

At a car show someone starts talking to me about my car and says I had a car exactly like yours when I was young, then he says by the way what is it! Has this happened to anyone else?

volvobrynk and lothiandon1940 like this.
  18. Yes, I have a 37 Willys and many have had Fords, Chevs and Dodges exactly like it. JW

lothiandon1940, clem and hendelec like this.
  19. bobd1976

bobd1976
    from Illinois

This car is shown all over the area and the display board says it is a 1928 T . I believe even the license plate says 28 T on it.
    elvira.jpg

20. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ
    from NJ

So, don't keep us in suspense. What is it? 8^)

Jack E/NJ

21. i am looking for a gasket set to put a nailhead on my y-block and a new set of stove bolts to hold them on.

22. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

fiberglass...:D

23. manyolcars

manyolcars

Nailhead is a cutesy name invented by bored magazine writers. Its like 'shoebox' which is a stupid name for a round car. A shoebox has flat sides and square corners. Nothing like a 1950 Ford

24. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

:p The BEST irony is unintentional...

volvobrynk likes this.
  25. Yamaha970

Yamaha970

We all have our own minds in the car world.some of us can rattle off every number make and model of every engine and car ever built....then there are guys like myself...I know what an engine is.I know how to get it running i can bolt it into a car and make it move.can hardly tell the difference between a Ford,chevy,oldsmobile,pontiac,chrysler engine from a distance.to some of us lucky few it doesn't matter what brand or name it has its a car or truck and it has an engine of some sort and we enjoy working on them..I do however respect those who have so much knowledge.What not one picture of a NAILHEAD..oh well when I come across one someday it will just be another engine...

clem likes this.
  26. funny, while reading this, i was thinking the same thing about motorcycles then noticed your name.
    i have fixed and painted all kinds of bikes but couldn't tell a Suzuki from a Ducati. the noisy ones are harleys, right?

volvobrynk and lothiandon1940 like this.
  27. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ
    from NJ

OK, just the person we need to make a decision. Of the two heads shown, which one looks porcupinier to you?

Jack E/NJ

porkers.jpg

clem likes this.
  28. BuckeyeBuicks

BuckeyeBuicks
    from ohio

I like the way you think!!!

29. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

Harleys are the slow ones....:eek::D

Thread Status: