Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects '28-'29 A Roadster & '30 A Coupe

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by james1savage, Oct 27, 2016.

1. So here's the deal. I'm the 3rd generation to hunt out of the same little log cabin in the middle of nowhere, and have gotten to know some of the ranchers in the area quite well. One of them knows my Dad quite well and built the cabin with my Grand-dad. Anyway, he's known me since I was small and now recently sold his ranch as he's getting to the point where he can't keep it up anymore.

Long story short, he's always has the roadster and coupe and I've expressed interest if or when it was time to part with them. The roadster has never left the area in all it's years, which is impressive as there is no paved road anywhere around. The coupe I'm not so sure the story on.

'28-'29 A Roadster - rebuilt motor, complete new interior incl rumble seat, new brakes (mechanical), new metal, finished underside, new wheels/tires, needs final body work & final assembly, with a bunch of little here and there finishing up.

'30 A Coupe - runs and drives, overall good shape, new brakes (mechanical), new wheels/tires, needs body work if desired.

Now comes the old question, what would these be worth to have sitting in my garage? I'm a 12 hr drive away (24hr round trip), and don't think I can bring both home. I'm not as handy as a lot on this board, but I can pull wrenches and assemble, just don't have the stellar fabrication skills of others here.

Here are some pics of the cars, if anyone could help me with what would be reasonable for the cars individually, that would be very helpful.

Roadster1.jpg Roadster2.jpg Roadster3.jpg Coupe1.jpg Coupe2.jpg Coupe3.jpg Coupe4.jpg

Nailhead A-V8 likes this.
  2. 48fordnut

48fordnut
    Member Emeritus

Roadster all the way.

3. CJ 56 hemi

CJ 56 hemi
    from NJ

clunker likes this.
  4. ^^^^^^^^^ !!!!!!

5. F&J

F&J

They very well could be worth more if they are in Canada? ...compared to USA?

What I mean, is "if" there are so very few A's in that condition up North, a buyer needs to base his price on the costs and headaches of importing one from USA Ebay/etc? That could add $2000-$2500 to the price.

In my area, $55oo USD each would be a quick sale locally, and $75oo each on the high end "locally to here in my area".

6. IronTrap

IronTrap

Buy both, bring a friend with a truck and a trailer to follow you in your truck. These types of deals don't come up often..

7. Yes, Frank, you are spot on the money. No pun intended. While there are some stellar finds for cheap, Canada does tend to have a premium on old cars.

Taking your suggested high end price of $7,500 USD, figure our exchange rate of +/- 30%, and you're looking at $9,750 before you pay tax to import across the boarder. Add another 5% for GST and you're looking at over $10,000.

James, I think it's worth trying to acquire both of them. For the right price, even two separate 24 hour round trips is worth it.
    Given that you have a relationship with him already, that might give you some leverage on the pricing.
    Based on the condition in the pictures, you'd see those listed for $7,000 - $12,000 around here (Greater Toronto Area). That being said, listing price and selling price, as we all know, are different animals.
    I'd feel him out to see what price he's looking for for both of them. If you could get them both for $12,000 or under, that would leave you room to flip one for a profit and fund the build of the second one.

Nailhead A-V8, brad2v and F&J like this.
  8. 2935ford

2935ford

Here in NB.....both in the 7k - 8k neighbourhood
    there's a lot of work left to do on them.

9. A 2 B

A 2 B
    from SW Ontario

My best guess.
    -Rough lower end estimate (friend & family price) $10,000. for both.
    -What he could get with a lot of time and energy to find the right buyer, $14,000 to $16,000.
    Good luck!

10. brad2v

brad2v

As you well know, times is tough here in Alberta, so prices are down. Even still, solid early Ford tin ain't easy to find around here, I'd say the value is in the $8k each range. I'd try to swing both if you can. 12 hours ain't THAT far :D. Unless it's 12 hours north....then it's far

11. Fry

Fry
    from SK, Canada

very nice, I'd say 8-10 each. usually complete cars seem to be around that price.
    I'd think at 10 you'd probably need patience to sell, and 8 they'd sell quickly.
    Pretty nice finds.

12. mike bowling

mike bowling

Try to get them both for 15, decide which one you really want and sell the other one.
    Unreal pair of survivors.
    Good Luck!!!!

13. Bam.inc

Bam.inc
    from KS

Get both. Buy two for cash I'd always a better price than buying one...& wondering why in the H you didn't just get both before.
    4k-10k each seems like a "range" but I don't know where "middle-of-nowhere" is.
    Good luck, I'd value roadster higher, b/c already have coupes.
    Wierd, b/c we always want something slightly impractical, like baking or freezing in a roadster.
    Nice find.

14. waxhead

waxhead
    from West Oz

I would get both if I could afford to. If not, go the 28/29 roadster with the rebuilt motor if you intend on running the banger and could live with an open car.

15. millersgarage

millersgarage

roadsters are cool, but cramped, the interior of the coupe has more room. And I am sure you'd get more use out of the coupe in Canada

Speedy Canuck likes this.