Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Model t rear spring

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 1oldtimer, May 24, 2014.

1. I had the page bookmarked but it got lost in the shuffle. Is there a problem mounting a T rear spring in an A rear crossmember contour wise. I can twist the frame a little depending on how I tighten the rear clamps (in what order and how hard).

2. The T spring is not as wide as the A spring. You will need to fabricate a shim/spacer to firmly mount the T spring in the A crossmember.

3. flthd31

flthd31

Yes, there is a much different contour on the "T" vs "A" crossmembers.
    "T" has a much higher arch in it as shown in the pic.
    You could possibly tighten the snot out of the U bolts and get it up there (or crack the crossmember) but the torque required would be tremendous. The A crossmember could fail at some point down the road under such tension.
    A simple fix is to tack a couple of spacers on top the "T" spring to compensate for the difference (see pic). Having an "A" spring for a pattern would help get it right or make a pattern from the inside of your 'A' crossmember.
    Seems most HAMBers don't bother with this and aren't aware that the T crossmember is quite a bit different from an A crossmember. The pic of the "T" crossmember is from Thunderbirdesq roadster build.

T and A rear crossmember.jpg spring_017.JPG

bct likes this.

4. I did notice that it was touching the center of the leaf only inside the crossmember. I knew about the spacers for the width but didn't see any post or talk about the contour difference. I have both but wanted to use the T spring to lower it, maybe I'll play with removing leafs on the A spring.

Last edited: Aug 19, 2014
  5. Anyone else that has used a T spring have anything to add?.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 19, 2014
    HemiIn34 likes this.
  6. flthd31

flthd31

7. Meyer

Meyer

What about replacing the top T leaf with the top leaf from an A spring? Would help contour and movement front to back also.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

8. 31ster

31ster

That's the way I mocked mine up today. Hope it works ok

9. Here's the 2 rears (model A and model T) together, it's about 1 leaf thickness difference were the u bolts are. You can also see why the T spring lowers it.
    rear springs-1.jpg
    rear springs-3.jpg
    rear springs-5.jpg
    rear springs-4.jpg

10. ROBERT JAM

ROBERT JAM

How many leaves to use on a t spring on a model a roadster? I took two out and it still rides very hard

11. 100% Matt

100% Matt

I make a T-Spring 2.25" wide. I have it posted in the classifieds

12. dualquads

dualquads

I used the same method as this on my A coupe with a T spring, if you don't when you climb in the car rolls to the drivers side quite badly, welding the small wedge shapes made the car sit very level.

Kev

13. z28michael

z28michael

I'm using a reverse eye T in a model A frame and placed a modelA top leaf on the T spring to fit the A crossmember. Any thoughts on how it will work? Thanks

14. 1ton

1ton

If the T crossmember has a higher arch then would it help to replace the A crossmember with a model t member? Might help lower the car some more as well.