Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Reverting Shaved door handles; push button assembly?

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by bob52, Oct 26, 2016.

1. bob52

bob52

Alright, I don't know about you guys, but I do not like the idea of shaved door handles... not my style. I bought my 52 chevy sedan and it came with shaved door handles; the door popers suck and work about half the time. The revert is easy because where the door meets the exterior door handle, there is no contour, just re drill the correct size holes. The existing lock latches are missing some crucial pieces and I've already bought a used pair ($60). I've bought new door handles and push button locks. For the locks, there is a retainer, a stop washer, spring and detent washer but I'm unclear on the washers. Which washer goes to what end? For the washer that is closet to the keyed side, which direction does it go? Flat side towards key or away? This is the lock. You can see the washers are distinctly different(two of them have indentations and the inside diameter is smaller)
    80-10462.jpg

This is from the Chevrolet manual, which is no help because you can't tell what's what and it doesn't show the washer direction:
    locks.PNG

2. If you start taking the used set apart maybe you will see how to reassemble

3. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

Hey! Good idea...

4. bob52

bob52

If I had a used set, this post would not exist...

5. michaelvz51

michaelvz51
    from So Cal
    1. HAMB Merc Club

Hello Bob,
    I too am putting these handles on my Kustom and did not know how they were to be installed. I decided to go out and look at them to figure it out and this is what seems to be the correct assembly-Pics attached.
    The main door handle has 3 slot in it, two are deep and one is shallow. The push button has two washers, one is smooth on the outside and a larger diameter and the other has two distinct "tabs" stamped into them and is smaller diameter. What I found is that the smaller "tabbed" washer goes on the pushbutton first facing up. Slide this into the long slots in the door handle shile lining up the "tabs" and you will see it will seat into the door handle. Add the spring into the washer, then the larger diameter washer facing down to capture the spring. It si held in place by the snap ring that will install into the groove in the handle.
    The only question I have where does the rubber o-ring install in the assembly?

Attached Files:

6. I read used set $60 dollars. Sorry I'm old and will not post on your threads anymore!

7. bob52

bob52

First of all, wow! Thanks for taking the time to post the pics! That is also they way I determined was the most logical way, thanks for confirming. You can almost reverse the two washer and mechanically, wouldn't seem to make a difference but who knows. As far as the rubber o-ring, I believe it goes on the lock, before you insert it into the handle. That way, once assembled, the spring puts tension between the inside of the handle and push button to create a water tight seal... the manual seems to confirm this in steps 4 and 5.

8. bob52

bob52

Ha! Please post! I'll always need help and will always appreciate any that comes my way :)

9. michaelvz51

michaelvz51
    from So Cal
    1. HAMB Merc Club

Bob, It seems that the "tabbed" washer goes in first as it locks the push button in place and keeps it from spinning in the handle versus using the larger washer first. Try it in oyur handle and you will see-Thanks for the tip on the O Ring, that makes sense now.
    I've had a lot of help from cool people on the HAMB so I "pay it forward" when I can.

10. bob52

bob52

Ha yes, all makes sense now.

11. bob52

bob52

It was brought to my attention via pm (another fellow member) that I was rude to 325w... My humor did not translate and I'm sorry 325w for appearing rude...

Last edited: Oct 27, 2016