Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Deuce guys are in trouble

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Andy, Oct 25, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

If your goal is maximizing profit, I agree. Maybe not "dump" it, but time to start unloading it.

2. Squablow

Squablow

$19K for a nice solid 5W body but with no firewall or frame. That's about what I expect.

Still waiting for some examples of cars languishing for sale at rock bottom prices.

3. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

Me too.
    I'm planning to swoop in with the cash to buy me a 5 window .

olscrounger likes this.
  4. Not sure where the OP looked but a freind just sold his 32 5 window, full house flatty powered car for $85k - Doesn't sound like prices are falling everywhere ....

5. Genuine Henry cars will always have value it's the fiberglass ones that have been played out.

Squablow, alchemy and The37Kid like this.
  6. Deuce Daddy Don

Deuce Daddy Don
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

"AMEN"

bowie and olscrounger like this.
  7. I love history and I love old Fords. I often sit in my old cars and wish they could talk to me and tell me their stories from the day they were conceived and rolled off the assembly line. The lives they've touched and the roads they've traveled. If I could just enter the Twilight Zone and ride along with them. The Ford V-8 was conceived in one of the hardest times our country has ever faced and to me it is much more than just a mode of transportation, it embodies the best of this country in the worst of times. That's why they will continue on without us, whatever dollar value is placed on them.

Here's the man that said it best in 1933.

heavydumper and clunker like this.
  8. And if you still want to worry about this shit, the election or the Russians latest Satan II missile, you might want to save this number.

National Suicide Prevention Lifeline

Provides help to those in suicidal crisis or emotional distress.
    Call 1-800-273-8255
    Available 24 hours everyday

9. corndog

corndog
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Indiana

George, I could not have said it any better!! I buy and sell LOTS of early Ford parts and some cars. In the last year or so I have personally experienced a lot more stuff for sale and its the good stuff that was hard to find in the past. Heck, I have even had people contact me and ask if I was interested in buying their entire collection of parts. Consequently I have taken a conservative approach to what I buy 'cause I suddenly realized... I could end up with a bunch of stuff that no one wants any longer!

10. The Sky is Falling ~ The Sky is falling!

Where's Chicken Little when you need him? HRP

cavman likes this.
  11. Wait a minute, I called both those numbers, the first asked me if it was a pick up or delivery, and if I wanted anchovies. The second asked me my address so L. Ron Hubbard could send a spaceship to come pick me up.

Then I started feeling weird, looked in the mirror and saw this:
    IMG_1477512452.548814.jpg
    "For the keyboard trolls out there you will never get it and might as well move on."

Laying here sick in bed is getting to me, I am thinking way to hard about any of this. I'm putting my house slippers on and going down the block to Dunkin Donuts to get some coffee...
    IMG_1477512765.555689.jpg
    IMG_1477513190.882223.jpg

Honestly though, I think all your cars are awesome, and I wouldn't worry a bit about what anyone thinks. I've been blowing too much hot air at y'all, sorry, so I'm gonna go into a doughnut coma for awhile....

wraymen, Pewsplace and Hnstray like this.
  12. ididntdoit1960

ididntdoit1960
    from Western MA

Really? You think a genuine solid deuce body should be cheaper than a foreign knock off that still needs bodywork, etc before being painted? For the record, I don't think the sky is falling either, but you've got to admit more and more people that "care" about these cars are dying (and demand along with them) and most "new" people coming into the hobby are more interested in a "Bandit" trans am than a "milner" deuce..... The market will undoubtedly continue to soften, but they will ALWAYS be worth "good money" (whatever that means) Most of us don't look at what we do as an "investment" (I know I sure don't), but if I did, I wouldn't be looking to buy a deuce (and I think that was the OPs point), and to further the analogy - a nice deuce will always be the "gold standard" in our hobby.

13. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

Danny, the sky isn't falling, prices of car parts are. Its a fact, its how economics work. Supply is on the rise, and demand is shrinking. If you interpret that as a negative, that's YOUR imperative. For those that see this as a "the sky is falling" scenario, is it possible that you are (GASP!!) HOARDERS??!!:D

Hnstray, wraymen and SR100 like this.
  14. el Scotto

el Scotto
    from Tracy, CA

It is interesting to see how irritated some of the Deuce guys are getting about this, it's almost like you called their momma fat. :p

As someone else pointed out, prices rise and fall throughout time. It seems like prices are slumping somewhat and more than a few people have noticed it. No sense getting your big girl panties wadded up.

Personally I'd love a steel '32 roadster, real if possible and have been watching for one, which is what drives my observation. ;)

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

falcongeorge, clunker and wraymen like this.
  15. i have been buying high and selling low my whole life.........it works out because i do it in quantity.

robracer1, lewk, bobss396 and 12 others like this.
  16. They've been in trouble since Manfred Mann.....ah, never mind.

tb33anda3rd, Thor1 and clunker like this.
  17. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

In about 15 to 20 years when a lot of the older guys die off and there will be a abundance of 32 to 40s that todays youth will not want then maybe they will be affordable but then I might be too old to enjoy having one.

bobss396 and falcongeorge like this.
  18. Fortunateson

Fortunateson

I've had my deuce for about 20 years and haven't even started it as I had to develop my skills, take care of family/home demands. So I'm 60 years old and I finally get to have what I wanted since my childhood. I have about 8-9 projects to work on. I'll retire in a couple of years, or even tonight /bad day in the ol' classroom, and work on my hobby. Prices going south? Maybe but I didn't collect these thing s to make a pile of cash. I'm hoping the younger guys will start getting interested in greater numbers but it probably won't happen. Right now I'm into my original Henry 5W, frame, body, numerous fenders, 8ba, Eddie Meyer heads, '39 tranny with Zephyr gears, bumpers, running boards, Buick drums for maybe $1,500 to $2,000. NO BS. So will I make money ? More than likely, but I'm glad my wife's and mine pension look reasonable. When the car is done and someone offered me $85,000 US I would be tempted but then I wouldn't have the car of my desires. Maybe I should dump the flattie and convert to electric?

wraymen likes this.
  19. 19Eddy30

19Eddy30
    from VA

There is to many that Look at old vehicles As a """HOBBIE"""
    I live , breath cars!!
    It's not a Hobbie for me , It's my ""LIFE ""
    Been Married & divorce ,
    But car's are still my Life ,
    The old car culture is dieying, ( 1975 and older vehicles )
    How many Pepole you know drive there cars 4 days out of week??
    You're Old mechanical vehicle is more trustworthy / Reliable to drive then a newer vehicle with electronics & its cheaper ,
    Look at the import Pepole , they drive there cars to work , store ,date's , school,
    So why don't the So call HotRod People do the same ,

REAL FORD STEEL Ts As 1932 33. 34 40 Shelbys Boss CJ
    383 426 440 Hemi's Cuda ,Road runner, Challengers
    Camaro 67-72 Nova 66-71 Corvettes 53- 72
    (There is others )
    not talking about Pro touring ,
    But pretty much stock with a few bolt ones ,
    Will always keep a high value over reproduction as long as WE still have gasoline ,

But drive them , do not be just a Hobbits,
    Look around , Car culture is Dieing ,

20. Sorry for the confusion the spaceship thing is a side business. We are running a pre end of the world special and seats are going fast. Would you like a 3 or 5 window compartment?

21. I always thought they said "wrapped up like a douche". Must have been the cheap Sparkomatic speakers. Learn something new every day.

22. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

Took a page right outta my book!:D

23. Roadsir

Roadsir

....Says the guy that owns two 32's and a 40......

falcongeorge and clunker like this.
  24. Of course, we all know the way to make a small fortune in racing (and hot rods) is to start out with a large one......................................

big duece and falcongeorge like this.
  25. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

Fixed that for you...:D

I would really like a chopped, channeled fenderless five window with a 6x2 olds or Hemi, or a chopped, full-fendered Tudor, but theres a lot of other so-called "high-end" cars I'd like too, and honestly, I will be lucky to finish what I have already before I croak.
    This isn't some kind of "ha, ha, look at all those high roller deuce guys that are about to take a bath" deal, its the new reality, prices are dropping, and we are heading back to a time like it was in the sixties, where you'd damn well better be doing it for love, because the days of thinking of your hot rod, deuce/forty/Chevelle SS ect as a 401K and bragging about its "appraised value" to your non-car guy neighbours are coming to an end.

That's not 15-20 years down the road, we are on the leading edge of it now. Look in the HAMB classifieds, and you will already see ads that are estate sales that someone is helping a friend unload. Of all the guys that I know personally that are building Hamb friendly cars, ONE is in his twenties, I am NEXT IN LINE at 56! Theres one other guy the same age as me, a 10 year jump, and the rest are between 65 and 75. That's the reality.
    fwiw, the guy that has started pointing this out TO ME has a steel henry deuce roadster, and he is trying to warn ME off about buying stuff up like a kid in a candy store, he has been saying it for about a year.

wraymen likes this.
  26. That makes a lot of sense George. You look good for 56 dude, thought you were closer to 46. Healthy livin'

27. traffic61

traffic61
    from Owasso, OK

For some reason when I read the thread title, I keep coming up with, "Deucy, you have some splaining to do/"

Ricky.png

tb33anda3rd and falcongeorge like this.
  28. wkends

wkends
    from Kentucky

I know that I sold two 32's at the nationals in Louisville in August. Both were glass and brought really good money, Real good! I'm gathering parts for another one now.

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  29. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

I chalk it up to having a kid in my late forties. What doesn't kill you makes you stronger.:eek::D

clunker and tb33anda3rd like this.
  30. krylon32

krylon32
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Nebraska
    1. Central Nebraska H.A.M.B.

The deuce may be in trouble but I was in Kansas City today and helped unload 10 roadster bodies at the same place. Someones optimistic. I brought one home to Nebraska. The deuce is not dead.

Last edited: Oct 27, 2016
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.