Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical '51 Ford sedan front suspension lowering question

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by brokedownbiker, Oct 25, 2016.

1. brokedownbiker

brokedownbiker
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

As I'm gathering parts for my '51 sedan, I'm looking for (budget minded) alternatives to the 'empty out the wallet in the catalog' method of doing things.
    Case in point, the front suspension. The previous owner decided to lower it by taking a torch to the front spring coils until they sagged one at a time to the height he liked- not the right way or even the half-assed way to do it, just plain wrong since I have zero spring action up front, it feels like a hardtail Harley. So I have to replace the front springs so it seems like the easy answer is to just buy some 2" lowered springs. But as I looked at it last night, it sure looks like I could swap the uprights that hold the spindles side to side (left one on the right, etc.) It looks like it would work, and would give me about 2"-3" f drop and I could put stock length springs back in it (I can score used ones cheap from a local guy).

Has anyone ever done this or tried it and found out why it wouldn't work? I'd sure like to hear from some experienced Ford guys on this. Thanks

2. RICK R 44

RICK R 44

Econoline springs or spacers between the lower control arm and the base plate that the spring sits on. 3/4 inch spacer gives about a 3 inch drop. You loose some suspension travel and you might need the Jamco kit or similar to get the proper camber. I used the spacer method. If you want more info, e mail me at [email protected]

3. Aerostar springs will get you a couple inches and ride great! They are cheap too, even for new ones. A million write ups on it with the PNs and everything.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Speedys Garage likes this.
  4. tubman

tubman
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

^^ I totally agree. I have a set in my '51 and luv' em.

5. Swapping the up rights has been around since Christ was a kid. It don't work unless going in a strait line is all you do. Look at your King Pin angles and just think about things. Also check out how the steering arms are mounted. Nix nix.
    The Wizzard

6. kustomkat

kustomkat

<------I have a 53 Ford, basically the same stuff.. I used a brand new set of Aerostar coils (80 bucks), and Fat Man Uprights and steering arms. This is a very old picture, and I have redone the front end, but it basically sits like this. G-78-15 WWW will rub the inner fenders at the top, but when I switched to 670-15, that problem went away.. Also, invest in some nice front shocks.. This car drives better than most new cars, and it is ALL old car stuff.. Aligned perfect, no tire wear, no issues at all. No power anything, and very road proven.

7. My 50 had heated coils, road like crap.. I did Aerostar springs in mine, and new shocks. Ride is sweet, like jimmygrrr said...
    upload_2016-10-26_7-47-54.png

JeffB2 and bobg1951chevy like this.
  8. 19Fordy

19Fordy

Don't flip the uprights as it will mess up your steering geometry.

9. Mike51Merc

Mike51Merc

If you do some research, you'll find that you have to heat and bend your uprights in order to restore proper geometry.

Tim likes this.
  10. manyolcars

manyolcars

The OP wants to get out cheap-I did that by getting my Aerostar springs from the U Pull It crestlinerskirts.jpg

11. Mike51Merc

Mike51Merc

I bought a set of Aerostar springs at NAPA for $63. For that price, it isn't worth the trip to the U-Pull-it to find and disassemble an Aerostar for a set of used springs.

I just searched Rock Auto. Aerostar springs for as little as $29.

Last edited: Oct 26, 2016
  12. 41woodie

41woodie

There was an article in Tex Smith's old Rodder's Digest detailing flipping the uprights from side to side. The important part was heating and bending them to restore the proper geometry. That being said the Aerostar springs sounds like a cheap and easy fix. Not saying it doesn't work occasionally but cutting coils is for cars that are going to be covered with Angel Hair not road dust

Hnstray, seb fontana and Tim like this.
  13. Beautiful car !

tierod likes this.
  14. Let's get this strait. You can and must heat and bend the up rights to get the wheel standing vertical in the wheel house. With the king pin inverted you can "NOT" restore the geometry back to correct. With the King Pin angle reversed the natural motion of the car coming back to center after turning a corner no longer exists. The car wants to continue turning the corner. You must unwind it out of the turn. NOT GOOD!!
    The Wizzard

Hnstray likes this.
  15. JeffB2

JeffB2
    from Phoenix,AZ

16. O P,,where are you ?? I've got a set of The Aerostar springs,,,My Desoto was too much for them.

17. brokedownbiker

brokedownbiker
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Pist-n-broke, that is what I needed to know, thanks. I figured there was a reason it wouldn't work. And thanks to everyone that replied about the Aerostar coils.
    Tierod, your car is sitting just like I'm trying to achieve, thanks fore the photo; I am a visual person and it helps o see it.
    Off to Rockauto for some coil springs- any particular year? And I'm looking for front coils from the Aerostar, right? Just don't want to assume anything, it frequently bites my on my posterior when I do, lol.
    Thanks!

18. With the early 50s front ends when you lower them the upper control arm gets way out of whack and you can not get the proper geometry back by adjusting the upper control arm cams. So here is the solution. The upper control arms are bolted to the frame. Make a box, Or use an Alum block of about 1.5 inches. Drill the proper holes in the proper location to allow it to sit under the upper control arm, Make a hogged out area in the block for the top of the shock mount. Get longer bolts and reassemble. Works great - been on my 53 for 30 years.

19. @brokedownbiker Any year and engine Aerostar as long as it's not all-wheel-drive. I think others have used '92 4.0L 2WD.