Register now to get rid of these ads!

Features Pre-War Custom: Mild or Spicy?

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by Jive-Bomber, Oct 25, 2016.

1. Jive-Bomber

Jive-Bomber

Jive-Bomber submitted a new blog post:

Pre-War Custom: Mild or Spicy?

[​IMG]

Continue reading the Original Blog Post

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  2. Malcolm

Malcolm
    from Nebraska

Mild all the way. Those cars were so great from the factory, I don't think they really need much.. Besides a good lowering, of course!

need louvers ? and Tman like this.
  3. Jonnie King

Jonnie King
    from St. Louis

I agree "all the way" with Malcom. Cool looks from Mr. Ford to begin with...I like the one Ryan pictured on his Post. BUT, for a drivetrain, I'd stick with an updated FoMoCo combine...that would "keep it in the family", and let it run all day with no problems.

Jonnie
    www.legends.thewwbc.net

Malcolm likes this.
  4. typo41

typo41
    Member Emeritus

With the current look, I think Ryan should the following:
    Extra large fuel tank
    Heavy rear springs
    And a 50 gallon tank in the trunk to haul moonshine between the now two Roundups.
    Get a supply of mason jars for winter 'canning'
    Jalopy Fuel at it's finest

willumbilt likes this.

5. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The 38 Deluxe and 39 Standard, well they got that one right straight out of the box. Pick your body style and keep it simple, clean, always in good looking and working order, done. Stance, rolling stock, maybe a custom interior that doesn't stray too far from normal (no TVs, angel fur carpets, etc). Perhaps a bumper change that wouldn't end up "owning" the looks or maybe set of bumper guards that also wouldn't dominate. The biggest advance to these cars, in my sometimes not-so-humble opinion, the stance and tire sizes. Too much of any element there, gone. Tiny front tires end up looking tow dolly in nature, too big out back gets cartoonish, too much rake in either direction looks like it was done in a 1 car garage and not observed from a distance. I prefer a mild nose down stance with about 1 full size in tire difference, or as I'm doing to mine, 7.00 in the rear, 6.00 in front, about a 2" overall rake. And, I've not forgotten my HAMB brethren, I just have to get back on it and up the build thread. The big focus for me is the interior and I think you'll all enjoy it. And to think I once hated these cars...

Malcolm likes this.
  6. RainierHooker

RainierHooker
    from Tacoma, WA

Mild, mild, mild. For any of the Fat-Fender'd-Fords I think the aim is something out of a Dan Post Blue Book. A shave, a trim, and some skirts. These cars were made to exude a flowing "aero" look, and by just smoothing them out, and not adding anything that dominates, you let them shine.

Malcolm likes this.
  7. straykatkustoms

straykatkustoms
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Since Malcom beat me to saying mild, I'll go to the Spicy side. I would like to see a coupe version of this car built.

10582973_780375041983637_715417878278803977_o.jpg

If that is too mild, Ryan's coupe would look too kool. Chopped, sectioned, extended rear fenders and two extra head lights. Why not its only metal.....

140839-1261577113-9901200beb7add43fbdcf521f5356965.jpg

Last edited: Oct 26, 2016
  8. Petejoe

Petejoe
    from Zoar, Ohio

I would never of thought Ryan would consider a custom change.
    I like the idea.
    I'd suggest lowered rear with skirts and maybe a few front end changes just to give it a change. Possibly custom bumpers. With a y block it has to have a 50's theme. Interior? Mildly done with custom changes.
    Black on black on black of course.

Asphalt Demon likes this.
  9. oldcargary

oldcargary
    from devore, Ca

Mild is the way I like em. Looked pretty custom right out of the Ford Plant...

10. He won't do it.

11. von Dyck

von Dyck

Wipers pivoted off the cowl always improves the looks compared to the swinging type.

12. I love Ryan's car but I wouldn't call it a custom mild or otherwise. Other than the stance, which for that vintage car is a hot rod stance not a custom stance, what is custom about it?

Torchie likes this.
  13. Bluedot

Bluedot

I have to agree with Jonnie King. Ryan has already nailed the look, but a more reliable drivetrain might be a good choice. Not an OT drivetrain mind you, but a Y-block sounds pretty tasty for this project. Maybe sneak in a 5-speed behind it?

14. seatex

seatex

I think it's perf the way it is........................

15. sololobo

sololobo

I had a 38 standard two door that was my first v/8, a fast car after driving my mostly stock 33 Chevy 6 banger. I loved the front end, and just lowered it, gray primer, red wheels, white walls and full cone hub caps. Dual exhaust with Smithy's mufflers and an a tall shifter on the 39 box. Later a 53 Merc flattie with two 97's and a few goodies. Loved that car and sold it to buy my 49 Olds club coupe. Mild works for me.

16. 'Mo

'Mo

This one (from the web) has some nice touches.
    It's said to have originated as a Barris build from 1951-52.

Not pre-war, but compatible with the Y-block.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 26, 2016
  17. autobilly

autobilly

That's what I thought, why pre-war custom? I think that mid to late '50's flames would go well with the engine choice and body style.

18. I am a '38 Standard man myself. The most Art Deco of them all and rarely seen. The coupe version is stunning. It is puzzling why they aren't more highly prized.

straykatkustoms likes this.
  19. I'm thinking that the prewar is for the body style, not that it was customized before '41...

20. Yes! The '38 Standards are bitchin'.

21. 'Mo

'Mo

I agree, Pete.
    Doug Walker was furnishing his '38 Deluxe coupe with Standard front sheet metal, before he sold it.
    Any idea of the car's fate?

22. dumprat

dumprat
    from b.c.

Spicy!
    I love the grille stock but that roof line begs for a smooth flowing chop.

Envision the curves of a beautiful woman with an hourglass figure, lying on her side on a sandy beach.

And cut off anything that does fit that shape!

23. As prewar customs go I tend to lean towards the flathead powered variety. But that's just me. I like the way they look as a mild custom

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

24. dumprat

dumprat
    from b.c.

If you are gonna call it a custom it better be "Kustom" stockers with a nose,deck and some skirts are still stock.

25. Gahrajmahal

Gahrajmahal

I think if Ryan wants to make a change it would be hard for him to ignore Sancho's suggestion.

26. :rolleyes:

27. jim galli

jim galli

Another '38 Standard guy. First rule, never never never sealed beams. The rest is simple. Black, lowered slightly, skirts, and a lady luck decal in the quarter window. Of course a flathead singing through smithies is necessary.

28. 21G

21G
    from WI

I love the front end on the Standard.

20140929_133422.jpg 20140929_133219.jpg