Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 26-27 T Coupe build...my first hot rod

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Mrjack55, May 16, 2016.

1. So it begins, the start of a project. I have begun collecting parts to built a 26/27 Model T coupe. Nothing new for this forum, but it's my first actual Hot Rod.
    It's going to be a slow process, but I have accumulated some major components, so it's stating to feel real. This past weekend I went to Steel In Motion in SC, and I came home with a body and a set of A rails to add to the pile. I have attached some pics of what I have to work with. The body has it's challenges, but it's pretty solid over all. Front end will be an A axle, with split bones, and F1 brakes and spindles. Rear will be a 9" with a 39 front spring (not an A like I erroneously said) and split bones. Engine is a Pontiac 400 backed by a TH400 trans.
    I'm sure that I'll have plenty of questions along the way. Thanks in advance for any help, and thanks for following along.

Thanks guys
    Jack

20160516_142424.jpg 20160516_142457.jpg 20160516_142443.jpg 20160516_142710.jpg 20160516_142547.jpg 20160516_143007.jpg 20160516_142527.jpg 20160516_142516.jpg 20160516_142825.jpg 20160516_142627.jpg

Last edited: May 17, 2016
    AndersF and Ron Funkhouser like this.
  2. Looks fairly solid. You mean to put the A front spring in front right?

3. AndersF

AndersF

Cool to see another Model T coupe be planned.
    I am a first time builder to and have 2,5 year in to my build now.
    And i will at least have to put another year into it before its a driver.
    I have a homebuilt tubeframe in model A style.
    This is what i started with.
    [​IMG]
    This is how it looks today.
    [​IMG]

I have a buildthread here. http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/27-coupe-build.994975/
    And some threads for inspiration.
    http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/whos-building-a-t.645511/
    http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/model-t-coupe-only-thread.833055/
    http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/no-quarter-27-t-coupe-project.303632/
    http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/the-t-coupe-post-pics.98186/

4. Flathead Dave

Flathead Dave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from So. Cal.

I'm doing the same build. The black and white photo shows what I picked up. The guy that I got it from did a horrible hack job. He chopped the entire 1927 Coupe apart and put it on a 1982 Mazda PU frame. I almost left it the way it was and was calling it the "Jughead Mobile".
    When I got it, it only had one door that was chopped and very rusted. The top was hacked off and lucky, for me that he saved it and I took it.

I gathered parts for three years. Doors, trunk deck lid, small body parts. I made sure that all of the parts had minor rust if any rust at all. I was pretty picky on what I bought. There is a place in Orange County, CA. that sells Model T/A sheet metal parts but I didn't want to spend $1200 per door and there are other places like Mac's, Lang's, Snyder's and a couple of other places that sell parts. I also go to swap meets to look for parts. I have made parts in my garage like the trunk floor and a few other pieces. Too easy.

Anyway, I placed the body on a '28-'29 frame. 8BA motor w/ C4 trans. 9" rear end. It's coming along nicely.

Use this forum for your questions to get answers. There is a bunch of guy's who know what they are talking about to get your answers from and you will get a lot of answers to your one question and I might be able to answer a few for you.

Good luck on your build.

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 17, 2016
    bct likes this.

5. No, the front spring will go in the back. That will help lower the rear, and be less aggressive a ride.

6. Cool, looks like it's coming along.

7. Wow, it sure has come a long way. Great job!
    Thanks.

8. Minor, but critical point... that spring I gave you is a front spring for sure, but it's a '39 not an A.

Mrjack55 likes this.
  9. Oops! Thanks for catching that for me.

10. toml24

toml24

Please keep it a TALL-T. Good luck with the project.

chessterd5 likes this.
  11. chessterd5

chessterd5
    from u.s.a.

Yes, keep it a tall T. I'll be watching.

12. I can't make any promises guys, but noting is set in stone as of yet.

13. Update:
    Over the weekend, I picked up another piece to the puzzle. A mint 9in. rear with 4 link setup.

20160529_125614.jpg 20160529_125626.jpg 20160529_125642.jpg 20160529_125648.jpg

AndersF likes this.
  14. As it is with many of us, life has thrown me a few curve-balls, and something had to go. The T body, sadly I had to sell it. The project will continue! I have plenty of chassis and suspension parts to keep me busy throughout the winter. Not very exciting, I know. But as I clean up and rebuild bit and pieces, I'll post them here.

15. Hot Rods Ta Hell

Hot Rods Ta Hell

That's a bummer, but at least you didn't sell the chassis as well.
    Finish the chassis, while saving money, then start shopping for a body. At least you won't be saving to replace a 32-34 Coupe body (which is like saving for a down payment on a house)!

With the "A" chassis, it opens up the prospects for pretty much any "T" or "A" body; Roadster, Coupe, Pickup...
    Depending on your skills and guts, they can even be bought sections and panels at a time and assembled. If you're open to settling on a couple of different body styles, you might walk into a deal.

16. mcsfabrication

mcsfabrication
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I've got a '27 touring body if you're interested. Has some punched holes, but EXTREMELY solid. Not a rusty hulk. Also have a set of glass fenders and braces. "T" shell and a few complete windshield frames and posts. Complete top bows.
    Let me know if any interest.
    Eastern Pa.

17. Yeah, I won't be looking at a 32 or 34 anytime soon. At least not until I will the lottery. They will more than likely, always be out of reach. But my mind will be open to most of the possibilities you mentioned. I'll just have to wait and see. In the mean time, I'll piece together what I can, when I can. Thanks for the pep talk.

18. Thanks man, I appreciate the offer. I won't be looking at a body for a while, but it's good to know there are good bodies here in PA. I'll stay in touch. At the very least, I'd like to come see what you're building and hang out one day.

19. sunbeam

sunbeam

Just for your info your coupe is a 26

Last edited: Oct 25, 2016
  20. mcsfabrication

mcsfabrication
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Jack55, my touring IS a '27, not sure what Sunbeam is referring to.
    Don't know where Elkins Park is, but I'm around 20 miles north of Allentown. I'm not working on the "T", just storing it for now. I have enough other projects. I haven't put it actually up for sale, just saw your post and thought it might be of interest.
    PM me if you want any info, not trying to turn your post into my for sale column.

21. More like was.
    Anyway, how could you tell? I've always heard that the 26 and 27 coupes were identical.

22. sunbeam

sunbeam

I
    I've got a T coupe I call a 26 1/2 drivers side 26 pass side 27 made from 2 pasture finds one spent it's life on the drivers side and the other on the pass side the top sides were in pretty good shape. The door sill plates are different and there is a brace piece that goes between the guarter window panel and the back window panel that is different

Last edited: Oct 25, 2016
  23. Ah, I got ya. Thanks for that. I'll have to look closer at the next one. Got any pics, or a build thread?