Register now to get rid of these ads!

Features RARE flathead heads Let´s see some

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Dusters swe, Feb 10, 2010.

1. titus

titus

lets bump this thread BTTT, i had posted pics of my R&R racing (roof) heads on another thread but figured id add them to this post, anyone else add anything to thier collection?

JEFF
    IMG_3025.jpg

2. Elrod

Elrod

Found and bought another rare set at Hershey this year, these Schrager's.
    Very few of these exist...

IMG_6711.JPG

Lil'Alb, 29bowtie, x77matt and 3 others like this.
  3. willumbilt

willumbilt

Canadian 8BAs....don't think they've ever been used....would like to have an idea what they're worth?[​IMG][​IMG]

Sent from my XT1585 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

4. dumprat

dumprat
    from b.c.

Rust in the water ports would indicate they have been used. They go for $150-300 per set. Have seen them for cheaper too.

5. Dusters swe

Dusters swe
    from Sweden

My ROOF set. Nr 4 the angeldrive is marked 7
    This is the early bird.

Attached Files:

6. freezerburn

freezerburn

The greatest engine paint scheme I have ever seen bar none thanks for posting. A little off topic but hey:)

7. modelamac

modelamac

I started a post earlier about these... Aluminum KOGEL Heads, they're not the cast iron ones.
    They must be rare... I'm not having much luck finding any information.
    I'm actually trying to find out as much as I can about them, if anyone knows anything please share.
    I was just going to put them in my display case... which is a shame... they really need to go on a hot rod for everyone to enjoy...
    On the other post member "QuickchangeV8" added a little information... Kogel heads. "They were made post war and two different versions were available; the cast iron ones more commonly seen and there were aluminum heads cast as well. The Kogel Circular Turbulence head as referred to in the ad came in 3 compression ratios, 7.5, 8, and 8.5, has 25 per cent more water capacity and originally sold for $40 a pair. The aluminum heads came polished right from the factory. Kogel, 1151 S. Broadway, Rm.646, Los Angeles 15, Calif".
    Anyway, I thought I would share them here also...

Attached Files:

8. I did see a set of Cyclone 21 stud, said to be N.O.S. but look sandblasted to me! I would polish them!
    Cyclone heads look so perfect polished! It did take a while to find this set for my 37 engine that I might run in my 34 5 window coupe. (Sorry about all the other parts, just got done spending the day polishing the parts for the coupe)
    Joe "keeping this thread alive!"
    [​IMG]

ChuckleHead_Al and 303racer like this.
  9. typo41

typo41
    Member Emeritus

Under shelf.JPG
    A quick bad cell phone shot, the motor is on a shelf
    Don't know anything about it, but it looks cool

10. bowie

bowie
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Typo41: Those are Smith "jiggler" heads. Rare birds! Were made for 60 &85 horse engines

Last edited: Mar 4, 2017
    dan c and unclescooby like this.
  11. Flathead V12 Frick FRICK TWIN PLUG 1.JPG Twin Plug Heads FRICK TWIN PLUG.JPG

Rui likes this.
  12. 97

You need a PAIR of Nash 6 twin ignition distributors for that.

13. Yep - no real reason to do it other than looks or bragging rights. Not enough fuel in any of our flatheads to need dual plugs.

Elrod likes this.
  14. Elrod

Elrod

Love those polished cyclones 530sandman.

The ones on my car...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

wideglide74 and 530sandman like this.
  15. banjorear

banjorear

Yep. Love Cyclones too.

Attached Files:

530sandman and Elrod like this.
  16. Squablow

Squablow

Had to share, seems like the best place.

In a local junkyard, in this patch of debris, where some cars had recently been dragged out,

20171202_093402.jpg
    I found these, laying out loose on the ground.

20171203_154258.jpg
    20171203_154408.jpg

Not that rare anymore being they're reproduced, but damn rare to find in a junkyard.

A few questions for the experts, I notice one has big spark plug holes and one has tiny ones. Both have relatively clean looking spark plug threads so it's not like the plugs pulled out of the one set. Would that be from an early repair maybe, redrilled and retapped? The lack of pitting and corrosion on the water passages says to me these had very few miles on them, and the one head is not drilled and tapped for the extra hole on the top.

Second, I had already bought a pretty nice pair of Evans heads to run on my roadster before these fell from Heaven into my lap. If I were to clean these up nice and put them on my car, would there be a way to tell they weren't just new repop ones? It's a great story to tell, but it'd be nice to be able to prove their age.

17. tubman

tubman
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

"Squawblow" - I would expect that you're right about the one head being "redrilled and retapped". I have been buying used Ford flathead aftermarket heads since the late'50's and just about all I have seen showed evidence of being run with stock reach (3/8") spark plugs. Back in the early days, even the "good" heads that I found had to have a tap run through them to clean the carbon out of the bottom threads. Given this, I can just imagine the amount of spark plug threads being stripped out of those heads back then by us "overenthusiastic' youngsters. Given that every Model "A" and real early V8 was running 18 mm plugs, drilling and tapping to 18 mm seems to have been a "no-brainer". Might even have done a few at 7/8".

Great find, by the way.

18. 97

Because the threads were often stripped and so that early heads could be run with "modern" (for the time ) spark plugs Champion and I daresay others used to make 18mm-14mm inserts. In a race head it was a better way to use 3/8 reach plugs than to try to grind out and blend the exposed threads ...The insert could be fitted and blended in without loosing compression and still not have the hot exposed threads and recessed plug tips.

19. 97

The reason/thought behind twin plugs wasn't the amount of fuel as in nitro hemis etc , but trying to burn the fuel in both ends of the long and shrouded combustion chamber..i.e behind the dome where the black unburned carbon stain always shows....at least that was Ron Hogans reason..he explained that to me in about 1970 when I bought my first set of his twin plug heads.

20. alchemy

alchemy

Pretty sure the repros have the Edelbrock name letters faced off on the top surface. The originals have the as-cast letters.

21. Never2low

Never2low

Freaking killer find, Squa!
    Don't you dare clean them up. Mother nature worked damn hard to get 'em to look that cool!:D

drylakespeedshop likes this.
  22. mr.chevrolet

mr.chevrolet

my Thickstuns

Attached Files:

razorback likes this.
  23. 28rp

28rp

Here, a few photos of my Aussie? heads-I know I have posted photos of them on a couple of other threads on here, bt I figure the more people that see them, the more chance I have of having some one i.d them and maybe shed a little light on their history.... Ashleys 48 repairs 042.JPG Ashleys 48 repairs 043.JPG Ashleys 48 repairs 045.JPG Ashleys 48 repairs 046.JPG

razorback and continentaljohn like this.
  24. Here is a picture of the new Edelbrock heads . . . the letters appear to be "as cast". With that said, the biggest visual difference to me is the depth of the spark plug areas. On the original heads, they were designed to use the typical Champion H-10 spark plug - which had just under a 7/16 reach (so the whole plug area was a lot deeper).

The modern designs use a 3/4 reach plug (which is surely a MUCH better design). As many of us have seen, the original heads tended to have stripped spark plug threads - due to the poor quality of the aluminum and the short thread depth. I applaud Edelbrock for changing to the 3/4" reach plugs in their newer designs - is the right way to go.

EddyHeads.jpg

25. Squablow

Squablow

Do all of the new block letter Edelbrocks have the two cast-in hole bosses on either side of the water neck like that? Mine only have one, and one of mine isn't even drilled out. I suppose that's one way to tell them apart.

26. drumyn29

drumyn29

Willys Hickey head

IMG_3733.jpg IMG_8262.jpg willysparts 039.jpg

elgringo71, LOU WELLS and Squablow like this.
  27. Every set that I have seen is drilled on both sides (the new ones). The easiest way to tell a new set (other than the new looking aluminum, etc) is the spark plug holes. They redesigned the new ones for 3/4 reach plugs - so the hole areas of the casting are a lot shallower (to give room for the added plug depth material). Also, if you look on the underside, the new ones are all CNC machined in the valve pocket area -- the originals were "as cast" in the valve areas, the domes on both are machined with a big cutter.

Squablow likes this.
  28. Okay that’s my first pic ever on the Hamb
    Have blots more flathead stuff

Attached Files:

97 and C69A like this.