Register now to get rid of these ads!

Features VINTAGE SPRINT CAR PIC THREAD, 1965 and older only please.

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Joshua Shaw, Jan 17, 2008.

1. Rootie Kazoootie

Rootie Kazoootie
    from Colorado

2. indyrjc

indyrjc
    from Indiana

Jimmy Davies had an even more serious flip than Parsons earlier in that same race and in just about the same place. Davies was injured and I believe ended up missing several races.

3. Rootie Kazoootie

Rootie Kazoootie
    from Colorado

Charles Crawford and the Duesenberg powered Pat Murphy Spl. Indy 1947. 10-21-a.JPG 10-21-b.JPG

4. doebling4

doebling4

IIRC, the flips were attributed to a rut in the track that resulted from Duane Carter's flip during a 100 miler the Saturday before Labor Day. The Monday event was scheduled for 200 miles, but called just past 100 by rain.

5. Johnny Mc

Johnny Mc

Jimmy Davies was in the Army at the time and he had a superior who was a fan and would give Jimmy "leave" to run the Champ car races. I believe that he was sent to Korea as soon as his injuries healed. He was on top of his game during this period. He would become my stepfather 2 years later. Can anyone verify that the cool looking guy next to the above Kurtis photos submitted by Rootie is my father Johnny McDowell. Jimmy was leading the 500 that year until a set of gears gave out as they were apparently miss-matched. Johnny Paul was the car builder and mechanic and verified this in a later print report. Johnny Paul built that 'Parks Offy' in just months before the 500.

Rootie Kazoootie and The37Kid like this.
  6. Rootie Kazoootie

Rootie Kazoootie
    from Colorado

10-24-4.JPG
    Welcome Johnny Mc, not sure what pic you're refering to but here's a couple of shots of him in the Federal Eng. Kurtis he drove in 51. 10-24-2.JPG 10-24-3.JPG

Last edited: Oct 24, 2016
  7. Johnny Mc

Johnny Mc

Thanks Rootie.
    The photo I was referring to was the top photo shown and the gent with his arms crossed looks to be him. The fellow on the right may be Ted Halibrand. The third photo of the man leaning over the cowl may also be my dad. The top photo shows a car with similar front suspension to the Wolcott 31 he built at Kurtis in the fall on 1951. Thanks for all your fantastic photos.

slobitz likes this.
  8. Rootie Kazoootie

Rootie Kazoootie
    from Colorado

Capture mc-1.JPG Capture mc-4.JPG Capture mc-5.JPG
    I blew the pic up some but the quality isn't that good. Then I blew up one of him and one of Ted Halibrand from around the same time period. I'll let you decide.

9. Johnny Mc

Johnny Mc

That's my dad and probably Ted as well.
    Thanks again

10. indyrjc

indyrjc
    from Indiana

Hi, John. Glad to see you are participating on this thread!

It might be Ted Halibrand in the photo but it's pretty hard to tell.

However, it's worth noting that Frank Kurtis used Conze running gear, especially spindles and hubs, almost exclusively into the 1960s on his Indianapolis cars. The only exception seems to be when a customer specified using Halibrand parts. Some 1950s Kurtis cars were a mix of the two brands.

For example, the Keck/Vukovich roadster used Conze hubs and spindles but also had a Halibrand rear end. After the steering failure in 1952 the Keck car showed up in 1953 with Conze steering and it's still on the car today.

Last edited: Oct 24, 2016
  11. Rootie Kazoootie

Rootie Kazoootie
    from Colorado

12. BZNEIL

BZNEIL

Here is a serious trivia question about Watson Roadsters. I have been studying every single detail about them and have a question. The front torsion arms have an I-beam shape to them. At first I thought they were machined this way to shave a little wight and add a little twist resistance but after studying a few I think they are forged like a ford front axle. The centers have a rough texture and the top and bottom are rounded slightly for draft angle. Any body have any ideas where these came from? They are not in any of the Halibrand catalogs either. Watson did not seem the type to have these forged as he built everything else on the cars. Any Thoughts?

13. D.N.D.

D.N.D.
    Member Emeritus

You might a call the new owner of ' Ed Pink Racing Engines ' as he has a few of those cars restored, just might get you on track about the arms

I think his name is Malloy as has a biz building scaffolding

DND

14. Rootie Kazoootie

Rootie Kazoootie
    from Colorado

Probably got them from Gorden Schroeder along with the torsion bars. Capture arm-1.JPG Capture arm.JPG

Dean Lowe likes this.
  15. Rootie Kazoootie

Rootie Kazoootie
    from Colorado

Andrew 'Honey' Purick circa 1938. 10-26-andrew purick.JPG

Dean Lowe and carl s like this.
  16. rooman

rooman

Actually Tom's company does trench shoring; http://trenchshoring.com/our-company
    I met him at the first SVRA vintage race at Indy and he seems like a cool dude (plus he owns the Sarkes Tarzian #21 that I did some of the restoration work on.)

Roo

17. Jim Nise

Jim Nise

That picture of the right front hub brings back memories of always having to grind the caliper/lobster to clear the inside diameter of the wheel.

18. oldtom69

oldtom69
    from grandin nd

yea, and when we started switching from 16 inch right rears to 15's more filing and grinding!best tool I found for filing calipers was a rasp made for trimming horses hooves.another joy was stuffing 4 new pucks in a hot halibrand caliper between the heat and feature

deucemac and Speedwrench like this.
  19. Jim Nise

Jim Nise

amen old tom!

deucemac and Speedwrench like this.
  20. Rootie Kazoootie

Rootie Kazoootie
    from Colorado

Jim Daywalt dings up the Helse Spl. Indy 57. 10-27-a.JPG 10-27-b.JPG 10-27-c.JPG 10-27-d.JPG 10-27-e.JPG 10-27-f.JPG 10-27-g.JPG

Black vette 59, 29AVEE8 and Dean Lowe like this.
  21. Rootie Kazoootie

Rootie Kazoootie
    from Colorado

Gene Force in Fred Sclavi's Tiz-So #17, 1960. 10-28-a sclavi.JPG

22. guffey

guffey

watson jr.jpg watson jr d.jpg watson fr c.jpg

Does anyone remember an Indianapolis roadster from the mid 50's that maybe was black with gold leaf scallops maybe gold lettering and numbers with red pinstripe edging. I am still wondering if this aluminum bodied roadster half midget didn't have a connection to a real Indianapolis roadster ? I know, I am a dreamer!

Last edited: Oct 28, 2016
    Moriarity and hurstman428 like this.
  23. Speedwrench

Speedwrench

Perhaps one of Smokey Yunick's roadsters?

I don't remember much half-midget activity around Indy, but in the late 50's and early 60's there was a tendency toward tribute and/or duplicate paint jobs among the quartermidget crowd.

24. Sure it's not a 1/4 midget? Sure looks a lot like Danny Caruthers' Viking Craft built by he father, Doug Caruthers. Doug owned an Indy roadster driven by Don Edmunds. The "Eight Ball" was painted red.
    [​IMG]

29AVEE8 and deucemac like this.
  25. guffey

guffey

watsonoffyl.JPG It might be a 1/4 midget. I always thought it was a little long? The engine is in the front with a drive shaft and a small differential gear box on this one. The front torsion bars cross similar to this roadster.

Moriarity and Black vette 59 like this.
  26. sprinters son

sprinters son

Can anyone tell me who these guys are and where the picture was taken? I think it's Parnelli with the hammer but may be wrong. Thanks.

[​IMG]

27. Rootie Kazoootie

Rootie Kazoootie
    from Colorado

The driver appears to be Deb Syder. Not sure who that is with the hammer, but it's not Parnelli Jones.
    10-30-a.JPG

loudbang likes this.
  28. Michael Ferner

Michael Ferner

Yes, definitely Deb Snyder, and definitely not Parnelli Jones!

29. Martens SC 48

Martens SC 48

I am interested in making contact with anyone who may have helped build, maintain, crewed on, owned or drove this Tassi Vattis owned Champ Dirt car.
    I have spoken with Johnny Parsons Jr.
    Decedents of Tassi Vattis, John Hubbard or Ben Cook?
    Tom Findley?
    Respectfully, Paul Martens [email protected] (580) 750-0230 IMG_1444.JPG IMG_1442.JPG scan0226.jpg IMG_1444.JPG IMG_1442.JPG scan0226.jpg

30. Can anyone date this pic, and the body's builder? Search turned up it being a Hillegas.
    I have a rail frame body with a head rest like this, and want to put together a re-creation sprinter with an Alexander OHV.
    Any other pics of the car?
    Thanks!

[​IMG][/QUOTE]

Last edited: Oct 30, 2016