Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical A couple of Hemi questions..

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by southerncad, Oct 22, 2016.

1. southerncad

southerncad

A friend has a 354 Chrysler Hemi with the kewl 2x1 intake on it. The motor runs great no smoke, good oil pressure..low run hours, so now the questions, since it is a marine engine, but standard rotation, will it be good to use in a car or truck project...and the one you didn't want to see, :Dwhat's a fair price for the engine? Thanx for any input.

2. kennkat

kennkat

Yes, it can fairly easily be converted 'back' to auto use... Would be a "Hot Rod" powerplant for sure... not the most powerful setup but very neat lookin. Hmmm value, well you must consider any good running 354 as being worth near a grand... I have seen guy pay upwards of $2K for a complete 354 marine power plant with velvet drive & cooling system as used in old Criss Craft boats....

3. TR Waters

TR Waters
    from Vermont
    1. Early Hemi Tech

If it is a true marine engine, you will need to swap out the crankshaft for a car or truck crank. The marine cranks do not have provisions for a timing gear, and the rear flange differs from the car/truck.

Check ANY marine engine for signs of rust through, both fresh and salt water.

gimpyshotrods and 30dodgeboy like this.
  4. southerncad

southerncad

OK TR, so with no provision for a timing gear? So how are they timed?
    And any idea as to value? No rust through..Thanx,

5. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

There is an uncut 354 passenger car crank in the classifieds, for $100. Just have the seller verify that the slightly raised shoulder for the timing gear is there.

Marine Hemi's have timing gears, that also run the accessories, and not a chain. No belts on that boat.

6. bostonhemi

bostonhemi
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

What I have seen for a 354 is 900-1500. For a running one add 500-800. It may also be a truck motor. Here's a pic of a 2x1 intake.

Attached Files:

7. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

Those little dual singles sure look 'skinny' on a fat hemi!
    My last hemi had a Horne intake with four Strombergs in a row. Brian Burnett gave me that intake for $50, as it came off my late friend and Mentor's '40 Coupe. Santa Clara's Hank Silva ran that hemi in one of the first dragsters in Northern California. I was 'honored'.