Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects The george shull special 33 ford pickup

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by john dioli, Sep 19, 2016.

1. Oh my! It's mauve! That color is a time capsule all by itself. :D

2. Phillips

Phillips
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

F&J that was a project in Popular Hot Rodding back then, the pickup had a blown mouse Chevy and American 200S wheels. The big finale was a heads up race against the chopped and flamed Dodge A100 of Tom McMullen sponsored by the truck magazine he was publishing then. If I recall correctly the race was anti-climactic with the Dodge breaking down, although I'm sure falcongeorge knows the details!

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

brad2v likes this.
  3. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

You mean Leonard Emanuelsons? Wound up with flames on it later on? Tom McMullen challenged him to a match race in his mid engine D100 Dodge with a blown BB chevy and Leonard handed him his ass.:eek::D
    240.jpg

John I wont have time to try to find that stuff tomorrow I am going on a parts hunting expedition, but I will subscribe to your thread, and look for the info on Thursday.

Phillips likes this.
  4. F&J

F&J

The "later flames" kinda rings a bell. Cool pic that one is :)

5. Phillips

Phillips
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Gosh George that took you a whole 9 minutes to bring the details and post a photo - is everything ok?:)

F&J likes this.
  6. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

I would have had it up about 3 minutes before you, but my daughter is sick with a cold, she was really cranky and kept interrupting me while I was typing that post...:D I finally had to tell her to sit down and wait patiently till I was finished!

7. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

I am heading out to look at a 283 and some early Corvette parts, when I get back I will find a pic with the flames. I was talking to a friend at a car show a couple weeks ago, and he mentioned that I seem to have photographic recall for any old hot rod I have seen over my lifetime. Its the only real talent I have, unfortunately, its not one I can make any money from!:confused::D

8. john dioli

john dioli

had a chance to work on the truck today took off and cleaned and beveled the springs also reversed the main and changed the motor mounts found out i need bushing for the shackles no surprise any ideas on where to get those from speedway? I'd like to keep the original hardware its still in good shape. I believe greg got the axle today so within a couple of weeks i should have it back.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    I put the spring in my vise and moved it along a couple of passes took about 5 passes to reverse it
    [​IMG]
    heres the shapie line and the spring after 2 passes
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    donuts with sprinkles
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

F&J likes this.
  9. alchemy

alchemy

Original style shackle bushings are very hard to install. Might want to try some of the oilite kind available from Limeworks.

10. F&J

F&J

nice old fashioned work in your shop.

keep taking pics along the journey. :)

11. A Boner

A Boner

^ This

12. john dioli

john dioli

Thanks everyone I appreciate it

13. falconsprint63

falconsprint63
    from Mayberry

keeping my eyes on this.

14. john dioli

john dioli

Cleaned up the steering pieces for Richard and Dennis Lacy's shop Early V8 Garage. My son said Theres a concert hes going to 10 minutes from there shop(dad ill drop them off for gas you got it son, its a 2 hour drive) to have them bend the arms and do the king pins once Greg at Anson axles ships the axle to there shop.I want to say its very cool to have people and shops that help us garage builders out and answer so many questions for us thank you all. I greatly appreciate it
    [​IMG]

kidcampbell71 and F&J like this.
  15. JimmyD3234

JimmyD3234
    from PA

COOL GOOD LUCK & HAVE FUN WITH IT

16. Jackman57

Jackman57

17. Jackman57

Jackman57

You must of been a good friend to get first shot at the 33. Nice piece of America there. Bring it back to glory!

18. john dioli

john dioli

Thanks jack will do swing by when your in the area not much going on with it till I get parts back from shops

19. Phillips

Phillips
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

[​IMG]

Your truck's hemi powered cousin! (Not sure who's photo this is, credit to them if they see this!)

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

F&J and 54reno like this.
  20. tub1

tub1
    from tasmania

great to see this truck going back on the road as it was built ,a quick tidy up to make things good to use again and away you go, and think about your late friend every time you turn the same key he used to turn to get the small block fired up

john dioli likes this.
  21. john dioli

john dioli

Thank you I appreciate it

22. john dioli

john dioli

Phillips Thats a great looking truck same wheels and all nice job

23. john dioli

john dioli

well I picked up a dropped headlight bar and it does need to be modified, I imagine this has been asked or done before does anyone have a how to or explain what they did to modify the 32 bar for a 33 truck any advise would be appreciated thanks
    or maybe I should just lower the stock bar, not sure
    john
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

24. F&J

F&J

my first hot rod (50's built) that I bought in 71, had the bar you need.

They cut the inner bar between the two ball sockets, then made a new solid bar that went forward 4" from the insides of the sockets, then straight across the grill, then rechromed

not sure if I can find a pic
    common on 50s rods when rad was moved ahead

Falcongeorge can find a pic if you pm him

25. cowboyinachair

cowboyinachair
    from colorado

4 chrome carriage bolts and new holes

26. John, that is one nice truck! Only major thing to fix is the hole in the roof :D

john dioli likes this.
  27. john dioli

john dioli

Ya that's what is like to get taken Care of and leave the truck pretty much as is

28. CharlieLed

CharlieLed

Nice score John, let me know when you're ready to fill in that sunroof!

29. john dioli

john dioli

Hi all havent touched the truck in over a month in waiting on my axle i'm getting anxious to get it over to Dennis over at early v8 garage so he can bend the spindle arms. I noticed greg let his web site expire over at anson axles but unsure why haven't been able to get a hold of him. I have found a dropped light bar and 32 lights.
    John