Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Olds Rocket 324 in a 32 Ford; "trying to finish it thread"..

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by F&J, Dec 5, 2011.

1. Most of Stafford St./RFD road in Stafford was granted by British royalty to the early settlers as well. Good stuff, Frank.

daddio211 likes this.
  2. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

Beautiful Frank. Really glad your back. Being right is rarely, if ever popular, but some guys have to keep the faith.

daddio211 and tb33anda3rd like this.
  3. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

I LOVE this photo, should be on a HAMB calendar.
    [​IMG]

4. stone walls aren't traditional...........

falcongeorge likes this.
  5. 40LUV

40LUV
    from Mid Jersey

Great pictures. Did you find any interesting metal?

6. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

Whats traditional?:confused::D

tb33anda3rd likes this.
  7. F&J

F&J

This build thread is now done, because it's finished, and the title said "trying to finish it" LOL

Only thing I need to fix now, is put in a spare good heater motor so I can drive it in winter if there is no salt on the roads.

Then, I need to finish my off-topic, mostly stock, 32 Nash conv sedan. That may take a year or two, so I need to stay focused on "Stock" antique cars, so my limited net time will be on stock antique sites, not here.

If I finish that Nash, next up is the old tired 59/60 built 1930 Chevy roadster pickup which was chopped/channeled and early Olds 303, back then. I would start a new thread here, if I get to it.

Have a nice day :)

8. great thread Frank.
    like all your posts and look forward to the 30 chevy build.........the way it should be.
    see you "on the road"

Paul likes this.
  9. Funny thing is. : I've always thought .... where in the hell is the Nash at !! ?? That's what I first noticed from you. How 'bout 'dem apples Frank ? Yep, you're gonna' have to figure out how to HAMB fudge it, and share a little of that one too. Maybe paint its tire letters white to hot rod it a little ? ( red wheels ? )(Ted!!) :)

loudbang and tb33anda3rd like this.
  10. On behalf of those of us who have cheered you on to the finish line, I want to say yours is a job well done!
    Doing a budget build ALONE at our age is quite the challenge and you ought to be proud of your accomplishment.
    Take a breather before you move on to that very rare Nash and let us know where you wind up posting the build.
    Best of luck, Frank.

11. Paul

Paul
    Editor

Well put Mr Rokit

12. Hopefully you'll still swing by here on occasion. I've always appreciated your knowledge and experience over the years. Especially with regards to early Olds and BOP transmissions.
    After the last major HAMB update, your post frequency dropped off, and that was a major bummer.

Either way, good luck with things and keep well. I'll be keeping an eye out for you.

13. longgoner

longgoner
    from western ny

great finish to a great thread. thanks for taking the time to share the story and pictures.

14. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

I hope you stick around Frank, we need guys like you, there aren't many left on here.

loudbang, greaser and GreenMonster48 like this.
  15. The37Kid

The37Kid

Nice save, but I hope the NASH gets built first. Is yours the same model ( I know the body is different) as the one the fellow from Hot Wheels built about 30 years ago? That was a great looking Hot Rod in lambs clothing. Bob

F&J and loudbang like this.
  16. brady1929

brady1929

Cool hot rod

F&J and loudbang like this.
  17. Paul

Paul
    Editor

Looks like a fun project, good to hear from you again.

36 ROKIT and kidcampbell71 like this.
  18. lots of challenges there Frank! Right up your alley though. Good to see that you are mentoring Joe and that you have a enthusiastic helper.

F&J likes this.
  19. greaser

greaser

Good on you, Frank! I think it's a great plan.
    Two friends who get along and work well together can probably build two cars faster than each could build their own.
    I hope the projects go well for you guys! Please keep us posted.

F&J likes this.
  20. Sounds like a great idea for a "Last Campaign". Go for it!

F&J likes this.
  21. F&J

F&J

Did anybody see my old 32 coupester at the Orange, Mass airport drag reunion today? I heard the car count was way down due to threat of rain. I know it was there with it's new owner, so I looked on hamb just now for a Thread on the show...but I don't see one?

I am thrilled it has a better owner who will do a better job of caring for it, (cleaning and fine tweaking)and NOW I can get back to work in a day or so, on my favorite car, 32 Nash! as well as the big 34 LaS conv.

loudbang likes this.
  22. awe crap Frank! you sold it? man i loved that car and the way you built it............

loudbang, F&J and kidcampbell71 like this.
  23. F&J

F&J

Geebus Ted, even though we have not met face to face YET, and even though through PMs Too, you not only know I have "no money more that what I "need", you should know by now that I am very generous. despite that low funding.

Paulie (Harleycontracter on here with the 32 5w with the Cad powered) was just here visiting two days ago, I almost asked but forgot to have him guess the value of mine, as he is realistic pricing, but it does not matter as I gave it away free. Anyways MY old car went to it's first old car show 2-3 weeks ago, and something so cool happened there at a small cruise. Not only did I meet so many old long lost friends and even a coworker I worked right next to for 10 years.....There was a orig steel, hardcore old traditional 32 flatty-powered fenderless roadster there!!

Some strangers to me, gathering around my car, that was such a HUGE hit when we pulled in, these guys said "you gotta go see it". Said the guys ame I did not know. So I finnaly got away from all that group and wandered down to it, but the guy that was going to intruce me, disappeared. There were only 2 guys BSing at it. I sorta could tell which one owned it by hair, age, 50, and general "aura".

So, as I was checking out all the pieces... I just said " You sure don't see many undropped Heavies anymore". Bang...dead locked stare in my eyes.... My instant "pass to go, card"

You know he is so into Old build styles...he said "don't change a thing" on any new build, as "that is the way it was supposed to be". Hey, I don't do trophy's or accept them, but I rec'd a 2nd place that time! Kept it and gave to new owner recently. Very cool design, a bronzed slanted piston/rod on a cool base...Not a converted "bowling trophy" LOL

So as Pauls 32 also is a undropped heavy, I asked if this guy knows it, as Paul just moved to this area 2 years ago. Nope, he does not recall that 5w build.

he,he...I should have said Pauls real name......this guy built the chassis for Pauls 32 roadster some years back, but got out of touch and never knew paul built a 5w.. Paul is bringing either the 5w or the L88 32 Vicky I have NEVER seen. And also asked me to "wire & fire" pauls 35 Chevy 2dr sedan,,,his words for get it to run for the first time ever, then wire the car, then power all the needs.. This car sits wicked COOL.. I will make room right away as I have a short gap in schedule.
    So, we will most likely all be there next time at that Ashford, CT cruise..??? You are too far away..but I wish you would come with your coupe.. maybe get a room? LOL

Hey, enough silly mystery!!! How much did you PAY for "your" coupe, Ted!!
    100_0080.JPG
    ^^^^ NEW owner in Yellow and also Riley...heading out 2 weeks ago to IDK?
    Riley is some piece of work...he showed up here a week ago in his super lifted Cummins crewcab 4x4. I was trying to talk with him but my chin was level with the door window BOTTOM...I said why on earth do you run it this tall, He said "it keeps the Fat chicks out". I did not laugh and he was so serious, not even smiling.. I said "you're an Ass !!'

PICS below: The first is at 10am today...they are ready to go to orange reunion. We all 3 decide "no tools needed" That is "lil Timmy" on Right side of car, he is HUGE. I am finishing major structure repair here on his 1934 1.5 t Ford truck TOMMOROW, he will later use a sbc he got for free from his families junkyard? at their Centuries old Dairy farm, the truck was once one of the trucks used there. 100_0118.JPG

Pic below My son uses a GPS thing on his M/C and car with some bracket thing.. is what he did: Opened my Defroster door which is the 40 radio block off plate...he was proud of his idea, The cigar lighter does feed it like he knew, oh, and he is the only one who wanted an open windshield, not me.. Stock 32 Cabriolets had a non opening W/s? I used a free 28 Dodge truck W/S frame and it was just easier to make it hinged!
    100_0119.JPG

last pic I took, as they left... going the "back way",. I said stay off faster highway as I need to fix incorrect pinion angle I messed up on. The pair of hoodlums said after they got back...and I asked... We took the highway home, as back roads were rough...Then speeds? I asked? Son says the needle "sticks at 70, and won't go higher.. WHAT !!! so I say how fast do you think;;;Tim says well mostly around 80 or a bit more...meaning even faster! geez ZUSS
    100_0120.JPG
    This IS the perfect move, Trust me. everyone gets happy incl ME

36 ROKIT, loudbang and tb33anda3rd like this.
  24. ahhhhhhh, ALL is right with the world.

loudbang and F&J like this.
  25. Geez Frank, I have a lump in my throat.......................................

F&J, kidcampbell71 and loudbang like this.
  26. ne'erdowell

ne'erdowell

Hi Frank, after following the trials and tribulations of your build, this was a surprise. But sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do. Hope the next build keeps you enthused. Do you still have an interest in that Chevy 6 starter? Dave

F&J likes this.
  27. F&J

F&J

Hi Friends! It took me 65.5 years to know why I am what I am, and why things went wrong sometimes, which helped so much, to know what makes us all, or is surely going to keep us broken.

We are all born as what we were always meant to be, but sadly life pressures do indeed crush each and everyone of us's soul...and most times we simply are not aware!

i am blessed I finally crossed over! When you do, you KNOW it will be forever..
    100_0127.JPG 100_0128.JPG
    My son, I, and Tim, spent the better part of today together.. Starting at my "HOME", where we loaded Tims truck on a trailer to have Tim haul it to his sis's "new to her" HOME, in her 2.5 car garage that "Little Timmy" stole from her!! I talked with her a bit about the vanishing family farms....then the beauty of her homestead, the wild flowers, the ivy climbing on her cellar hatch, the trees, hay smells, and the horses in the families fields across the road which is named for them centuries ago? I did kid her saying that My son and I often need to make nick names to be able to skip using last names too, if it is a common name...I told her that I just started calling him LiL Timmy. she smiled and said she still calls him that 23 years later, after his birth!!

at her place 4 miles from mine, pic below...Tim said he'd go across the road too get a tractor to lift it off...then came back with this:
    100_0130.JPG
    I said to Tim,...thats a tractor??? He said "I decided we could just use our lawn mower" LOL

Anyways, I was there to help do a barn start that Tim has been struggling with on/off for months!! I did not know it was months till we left there! Why on earth don't people ask or think to tell me that someone local is stuck!! Well it was a nightmare, a 75 Jeep CJ his Dad bought new, So many fingers in it, "new"parts swapped etc, not recalling what or when it ran or anything. I did a real training school for all three of use really. You mecanics know that we can skip steps with correct owner info, but this was nuts. I never ever saw a situation with #1 valves BOTH closed at TDC mark and it NOT be on #1 compressed stoke... Well, it had a collapsed exhaust valve lifter!! Yes I would have caught it if did as usual, by going one more turn on crank to prove it, but we were fighting the dead line for Tim to get back to work in the main cattle area by 3ish...And we all 3 wanted to check out a Model A he just got from the family... We did get it to run, but I screamed to get him to kill it as a heard rod rattle come in quick.. we did the tests, pump is good drive is good, just needs my air prime stuff I have

Hey, I caught my son taking a pic of his new car without him seeing me,...I Knew this means he knows and realizes it is his! Cool!!
    100_0129.JPG

Here is another barn at another farm they own, the family bought up so many small homesteads ove the centuries to get more croplands. The Model A stuff Tim just got from the LARGE family cooperative dairy business. and a cab for an old open firetruck that is a 32 International...I doubt that cab is for a 32? 100_0131.JPG 100_0134.JPG 100_0135.JPG 100_0133.JPG

100_0132.JPG

and on the way home, I asked my son to get back to the good view of the main milking barn complex, but that was after he had turned to go get us food, so this was wrong angle etc.. Shit, I had him keep stopping as I looked for that same shot...then I'd get out, but have to go further down the road, so I had paas door open with both shoes on the board like a Coast Guard Rescue chopper guy in a doorway... He stops too fast-ish, and I get shoved against the open door laughing my ass off!! ,,,trying hard not to bend the door forward too much! This is the best I could do 100_0136.JPG

I want to tell you all something important. I never felt I HAD to finish the car for some deadline, maybe because I don't lust to drive?.. But as I kept changing the original build idea for 10 years, I thought I was just trying to get it like that 72 Rod mag pic of Peoria Nats of a 32 Cabriolet, fendered/chopped,,,and it's caption said "drove from NJ by two 18 year olds kids to Illinois with a cracked block"! I just figured out this morning at my daybreak quiet place....I was not trying to recreate that car,,, I was trying to feel what I felt when I read that info back in 72!!....I must have wished then, that I'd go too someday as a pair of kids on a adventure of a lifetime!! That is why I must like being the "passenger" now, and actually...I was doing that since it was finished!!

Man....this new beginning stuff really is a head rush,,,you simply KNOW shit!..may take a day, but I get things now...everyone near me sees it.. Last night we both agreed the Nash is NEXT...then thinking alone this morning??? no f'n way! The Nash I bought cause I fell for the beauty, but knew it was not going to like todays secondary road speeds.. ...but that bad ass BIG LaSalle CAN!! I do want to drive that bitch and I do want to see the Nash done,,,,just to LOOK at!! The LaS is next!! I'm on AACA, two threads on the resto forum..

Hey I dam well stick up for hamb on there as well as saying you guys ALWAYS say when a guy here finds a sweet survivor "Dude..you can;'t cut that one up, polish it and drive the wheels off of it"

See you around...in my LaSalle... someday, ...making my OWN Peoria type adventure, rather than trying to copy the past

Last edited: Jun 18, 2017
  28. thirtytwo

thirtytwo

Every memory your son creates with that car in the future ,will be in a car his dad built with his bare hands... Pretty awesome really

29. Frank, you're cursing. :) Fukn' ruler ! Happy Father's Day ya' badass. Great to see you rockin' in here again. Way cool.

loudbang, F&J and tb33anda3rd like this.
  30. racemad55

racemad55

I saw it and chased it down till' it parked, talked to the owners son, very cool deuce !

loudbang and F&J like this.