Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Advice 31 ford tudor

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Painfulbanter, Oct 20, 2016.

1. Painfulbanter

Painfulbanter

So I bought this for a rat rod type project but I can't seam to bring myself to touch it. It came with the pink slip, last registration, even the original keys, it's been through a fire, but everything appears to be original and probably 97 percent complete.

[​IMG]

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

2. That's due to the fact, that no Model A, no matter what condition, should be subjected to rat rod fate.

But, it could be dismantled, cleaned up, and put back together as a nice period Hot Rod.

3. Ed Angel

Ed Angel

That has potential to be a cool driver .
    I've never been a sedan guy , but I now have one and really dig the extra space and it's the only pre 35 car I think looks good in fenders .

Sent from the frozen North

4. Painfulbanter

Painfulbanter

And that's why I question this car because it is so complete that she kinda deserves the right home, but as far as rat rod fate, you gotta love what you're driving, and I love rats, and custum more than traditional, so should I find the right home?

5. Are you selling this?

6. Painfulbanter

Painfulbanter

I don't know, probably more of a trade for something similar but not so complete, I'm not even sure what something like it goes for. I have an idea.

7. texasred

texasred
    from Houston

Are you sure of what you paid for it?, if so that should tell you something

kidcampbell71 and X38 like this.
  8. i like rat rods too, but as much as I think they are cool in that "Sex Pistols-don't like it?-then screw you" sorta' way, I never talk about them here. It's akin to me in 1986 coming home from college with died black hair, ripped jeans, nose ring and a t-shirt that read "f@&$ you", then asking my parents if they thought I looked cool. How do you think that went?

The word "Rat rod" will wake up a lot of angry dogs here and get you some internet black eyes, you can go to Killbillet and talk rats, then come here and talk traditionals and customs, then you can have fun on HAMB. I like traditional hot rods more than RR's, but can see a lot of bleeding over of the two. The world is grey, not black or white.

Why not put it in the classifieds and see if anyone offers a trade, (anything $3-4k would be a good deal for you)

a really nice running Model A Tudor that hasn't been incinerated can be had for under $7k

IMG_1477059010.025253.jpg
    here's one up here now in rust-eaten New England

I recently looked at a 31 model A coupe a bit worse than yours for $2k

Last edited: Oct 21, 2016
  9. Painfulbanter

Painfulbanter

I understand how people on this site are against rat rods, I was gonna say rust rod but didn't think anyone would know what I was talking about. If I kept it I'd pull the fenders and running boards off, along with the hood and put a new motor and transmission, but even then it's too complete to do that to in my opinion. The pic above we don't know if it's original.

10. no offense , the amount of warping from fire i see in the door and cowl area makes me very uncomfortable....not sure how much is really usable

look it over very carefully before deciding what to do with it

Last edited: Oct 21, 2016
    falcongeorge likes this.
  11. Sell it to someone that will build it right.

12. flatford39

flatford39

That's what I see as well and don't forget the metal has become hardened and brittle from the flames. That thing will be a bitch to get straight. Your looking at a replacement cowl section at the minimum.

falcongeorge likes this.
  13. jackalope

jackalope

If there has ever been a good candidate for a rat rod, this is it. Why would anyone even give someone grief for resurrecting something that you know damn well could easily be sent to the crusher by most other people!?!
    I'm resurrecting a mess and it is definitely NOT going to be a glossy "hot rod"[​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

mike bowling likes this.
  14. Petejoe

Petejoe
    from Zoar, Ohio

Scrap?? Not in this group
    Have you guys really searched on the hamb for traditional cars being resurrected. I have seen plenty in worse condition brought back to life. Dont believe an argument can be won on this site that any car is only worth making a RR out of.
    I sure hope you find someone to buy this, Its sad to hear the fate you describe. :(

flatford39 and kiwijeff like this.
  15. mike bowling

mike bowling

Amen, Brother!
    ( or scrapped) DSCN1591.JPG DSCN2218.JPG

16. jackalope

jackalope

I'm sure you could find the same number of purist that would say no model A should be subject to anything less that full restoration.
    My point was there is NOTHING wrong making something the OP wants when so many other people see this as a lost cause. (I am NOT saying I see it as such)
    I'm merely suggesting that something in this condition is way easier to see being cut up than a quality survivor being hacked up.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

clunker likes this.
  17. Wow, are those pics the same car? You're like Gandalf the white, man IMG_1477083318.810788.jpg
    You can do magic

If you read the kid's posts I don't think he's a spider web skull guy, he sounds like he wants a beat up rusty hot rod really, a lot of people really like hot rods but use the rr word.

18. dan31

dan31

Fire really screws with sheet metal,if you were to ever build a rat rod i would have to say that you would want to start with something like this. I can't believe i said the "r r" word.:)

19. Painfulbanter

Painfulbanter

That's the worst of it in the cowl.

20. Painfulbanter

Painfulbanter

What I considered was a 350 350 upgrades to the ride, upholstery and drive it rusty. But even then I didn't want to upset people and myself by changing something so complete, so i appreciate all the advice coming to me right now. It's nowhere near scrap to me. I've pulled rust outta my woods way worse off and saw gold.

clunker likes this.
  21. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

Some just don't respect congenital value. A certain jerk I knew in central CA. was all up in talking about building a cool chopped hot rod. He was a bodyman, good metalman...
    I married him up with a straight '32 tudor sedan body, chopped 4-1/2", both doors, fit nicely, chrome windshield frame. This body was free. Problem was, it was gutted. Old drag car, had most of the original flooring, all the sub floor frame, and most of the original firewall. (trimmed 4" at the bottom)
    The guy was excited to get it, we picked it up in his boss's shop truck, took it to his house.
    Couple of weeks later, I was doing a service on his Porsche speedster, and asked how the Deuce was coming along.
    "Oh, I took it to Dick," he said. "He put it in his crusher, I just wanted to see a '32 go through and get squashed...I've got pictures! Wanna see?" I was stunned. "No, I don't want to see the pics..."

I finished up his car, and his wife came to get it. I told her "Tell John I'm through with him. Have Jud continue the life of his Speedster. 'Bye..."

22. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

WTF??!!:mad:How long ago was this Mike?

23. Mike,

Can you pull that post. It makes me sad that someone would do something so stupid, just for kicks. What an a**!

24. Painfulbanter

Painfulbanter

clunker likes this.
  25. I try not do be negative here, but that guy is a complete douchebag. F him, his Porche, fancy house and the horse he road in on. He's also an ingrate because you must have used some favors to get him a free Deuce. Sheesh.

He has to be in the film business, I'm guessing a producer.

26. Dude, that's the perfect car to make a nice weathered old hot rod, like you want. Fire up the sawzall. Look what Mike Bowling did with a husk of a body a few posts back. You aren't going to find a better candidate.

27. mike bowling

mike bowling

Same parts made into a "car" of sorts. Chopped 3", channeled 4" full fendered winter project.
    It was going to be this "backyard beauty"( possibly for TROG??) but I ran out of cardboard!

Attached Files:

always be closing and clunker like this.
  28. Painfulbanter

Painfulbanter

I wasn't expecting these answers. I guess I'm gonna get going on it. Thanks so much for the advice, I couldn't make this decision on my own.

jackalope and clunker like this.
  29. The next A coupe hot rod I do- I'm going to start with a 100% complete and restored car.
    Sell all the stuff I won't use back into the restorers market and enjoy it.

30. It's gonna be awesome, you can make it a great project, all your own. You have the paperwork and all the bits and bobs. I wish I had a model A to work on.

Painfulbanter likes this.