Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Hemi A Coupe Made in New Zealand

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by ratman, Jan 2, 2015.

1. Beautiful workmanship!

2. ratman

ratman

The firewall is my next hurdle the recess I need from the stock position is 5". I've figured out what I need to do, now I just need to try and make it look right.
    I discovered I need to fit a remote oil filter and will probably go for a Obrien truckers Hildebrandt unit. I tried to fit a Wilcap unit that faces the oil filter forward but the steering rod wont allow it.
    I have never used a remote filter before so I'm on another learning curve.

3. Rich B.

Rich B.
    Member Emeritus
    from Portage,IN

What a great thread, beautiful fab work! Nice welds fitter. Had to set my firewall back for my 354 also.
    My brother lives in Cambridge.

Take care, Rich

4. ratman

ratman

Thanks for the compliments, Just trying to keep it clean and tidy.

5. Kiwi 4d

Kiwi 4d
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Great to see you are keeping us updated again. I think your understatement " just trying to keep it clean and tidy" outstanding work here, everything well planned. This is going to be a HOT ROD for sure to watch out for.

26 T Ford RPU likes this.
  6. Hell, we have some absolutely brilliantly talented folk out there in New Zealand Rodding country that makes me so ashamed to say I'm from NZ when I look at my stuff out in the garage. Peter, you again have set the bar very high with your abilities and vision and thank you for posting updates on your amazing build.

ace5043 and 26 T Ford RPU like this.
  7. Well damn..........they said it all, look forward to seeing it at a show in the future. JW

whiplash1923T likes this.
  8. What model unisteer did you go with?
    Shakey Rails. Where are they based?

9. KustomKreeps

KustomKreeps

jealous of your skills my man.

10. Looking great man

11. deadbeat

deadbeat

Lifestylz,,sent you a message

12. ratman

ratman

About to have a big thrash on the coupe. Have been back home after spending a month in the States. Drove from New York to Los Angeles via Niagara Falls then down through Detroit Chicago and the length of Route 66.
    Ended up at the LA Roadster show and had a blast.
    Apart from all the cool car stuff the highlights for me were Niagara Falls and Monument Valley.

Oh and Apple fritters!!!!!!!

loudbang, whiplash1923T and LIFESTYLZ like this.
  13. ago

ago
    from pgh. pa.

Niagara Falls is always impressive. Not done much is half way to the whirlpool, take the elevator down to the rapids. River drops a bunch in short distance.

loudbang likes this.
  14. sheddynz

sheddynz

Hey Pete, I know your extremely busy with work. Since its been raining so much you must have done some more on the build. Must be time for an update. I'm still looking for a victim to redistribute that thoughtful birthday present you gave me.:);):D

15. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

16. ratman

ratman

Well I'm nearly back on target. I got side tracked making a bead roller so I could do the floors then I decided to finished the English wheel I started 7 years ago.
    I had trouble finding a decent power source that could be controlled easily and that had heaps of torque.
    I found a 24 volt solar tracker motor with an RPM of 5 and a torque rating of 110Nm.
    Shitloads for what I want.
    Here's some pic's to date should be finished this week.
    1.6mm Capacity (16 gauge)
    40" Throat (Linda Lovelace)
    Variable speed
    Over engineered 20161018_192304.jpg Yes
    20161018_192242.jpg 20161018_192242.jpg 20161018_192330.jpg

Attached Files:

17. ratman

ratman

Will post some pic's of the car over the weekend, Have fitted wider rears with 1000 x 16 Cheater Slicks. Purchased a louvered trunk lid off Brookeville. Really nice piece with old style round top louver's.
    Trying to make a positive step forward with the firewall but I keep overthinking shit and I get pissed off and walk away.

18. It's always a pleasure seeing the workmanship of one of lifes' perfectionists .

Thanks for sharing :)

whiplash1923T and kiwijeff like this.
  19. Kiwi 4d

Kiwi 4d
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Dang Pete that bead roller is a work of engineering art. It sure going to take no prisoners when you put it to work ensuring the beads go right on target.
    Will we catch up on Saturday at the NSRA nats in Cambridge? Though think they have organised a few shop tours .

20. DdoubleD

DdoubleD
    from Michigan

Gorgeous work!!

21. brigrat

brigrat
    from Wa.St.

How do you sleep at night with all this engineering going on in your brain?

Cooon likes this.
  22. Yeah, an absolutely stunning bit of engineering on the bead roller and heck, I would be really pissed when the first chip of paint happens. Looking forward to seeing some progress when you can. Enjoy your weekend in Cambridge.

23. ratman

ratman

I dont thats the problem

Sent from my SM-G930F using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

loudbang likes this.
  24. ratman

ratman

Will try to get to Cambridge but have promised a friend I will take him up to the Mustang convention in Auckland to look at the show. I know I know but I did promise. I'll take the Thunderbird for a run at least something good will come of it.

25. ratman

ratman

Mock up to sort out inner structure, and rear sub rails. I think I will fit the fuel tank in between the rear panel and the rear cross member there's a reasonable space there so I should be able to get a decent capacity tank in there.
    I think the tail lights suit the style I'm going for. There just taped there at the moment. Big thick piece of sponge on the floor to catch them if they slip off.
    These bloody things cost me an arm and a leg. 20161021_152424.jpg 20161021_154134.jpg

26. Lights look real nice, and so dose the louvered decklid.
    With the long weekend here, you have plenty to keep busy with. :D

27. loudbang

loudbang

Like the tires, they staying on?

28. ratman

ratman

Yes they will be staying on.

loudbang likes this.
  29. ratman

ratman

Did trial fit with steering column and steering wheel and dash, As I am the opposite to a slim midget I will make the steering column swing away like my 62 Thunderbirds steering does. I knew it was going to be tight but those Model A doors are not very big and there's not much room between that large steering wheel and the B pillar.
    The plywood firewall is just there for a pattern I have one already to fit made from 1.6 mild steel 20160105_141909.jpg 20160105_141935.jpg 20160105_142023.jpg sheet with bead roller work on it.

kidcampbell71, kiwijeff and loudbang like this.
  30. Brilliant work Pete, I look forward to seeing it in the future when rolling down the highway! :cool: