Register now to get rid of these ads!

Vintage shots from days gone by!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Dog427435, Dec 18, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. And this is my personal favorite:
    1929 Pontiac Big Six Sport Landau Sedan
    Remember, the more words in a cars name, the fancier it is!

1929 Pontiac Big Six Sport Landau Sedan [6-29].jpg

loudbang and Bomb like this.
  2. From It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World
    [​IMG]

3. I laughed my arse off when I watched the movie - but this scene today makes me cringe...

mad world 1.jpg

4. jim32

jim32
    1. Hamb & Eggs

loudbang and triman62 like this.
  5. Thanks Jim. Thought it looked pretty good until......[​IMG]

6. noboD

noboD

I've seen some girls like that. They look better walking away then coming toward you.

7. Dangerous Dan

Dangerous Dan

this made me very sick Mad Mad world!!!!!!!!!! 3.jpg 3.jpg untitled.png 1.png

Attached Files:

• 2.jpg
      2.jpg
      File size:
      10.8 KB
      Views:
    T Bone, wingnutz, Bleach and 5 others like this.
  8. That belongs to Alliance member Kisam, one of the talented women of the HAMB . Last activity in Mar. 2016. Hope all is well.

loudbang likes this.
  9. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

In days gone by, when cars were just transportation and not objects de art, they were used like, well, transportation. From the Model T onwards they were easy to operate, easy to fix and went just about any place in any weather or road condition. Fording a small stream or running on gravel or up a fire trail would be no biggie, especially to get home! Gary

Mark Hinds likes this.
  10. swi66

swi66

11. Jimbo17

Jimbo17

I miss the day's of Motion Performance and Baldwin Chevrolet and all the great drag racing cars they built.

Motion is still in business but for years now it has been in the model business.

Check out Motion Models http://www.motionmodels.com/

loudbang likes this.
  12. GeeRam

GeeRam

It is Graham Hill.

London Rowing Club helmet design + moustache is a dead give away.

C. John Stutzer and loudbang like this.
  13. Rootie Kazoootie

Rootie Kazoootie
    from Colorado

At Brands Hatch 1961 Graham Hill, Innes Ireland and several other G.P. drivers competed in a promotional go kart race. 10-21-ireland.JPG

14. Rootie Kazoootie

Rootie Kazoootie
    from Colorado

15. loudbang

loudbang

Mickey Thompson made his mark in several competition arenas, including the Indianapolis 500, Bonneville, and off-road racing. In addition to being a driver, Thompson was a team owner, track operator, and race promoter. He founded SCORE International; Mickey Thompson Entertainment Group, which ran indoor off-road-vehicle racing in major stadiums; and Mickey Thompson Performance Tires, which began as a producer of special tires for racing.

Thompson achieved land-speed-record history in 1960 with a one-way top speed of 406.60 mph with his four-engine Challenger 1 at the Bonneville Salt Flats. His Challenger 1 is on display at the Wally Parks NHRA Motorsports Museum presented by the Automobile Club of Southern California.

01_1960_Thompson.jpg

In 1961, Thompson earned the first Winternationals Middle Eliminator title by defeating the Hirschfield & Buky entry in the final. That year he also broke eight FIA international records and six of 10 American national records.

02_1961_Mickey-Thompson.jpg

At the 1962 NHRA Nationals, drag racing pioneer Jack Chrisman drove Thompson’s 432-cid aluminum HEMI HEAD Pontiac-equipped Dragmaster car to an 8.76, 171.75-mph win over Don Garlits in the Top Eliminator final.

03_1962USN_Top-Elim-winner.jpg

Thompson is credited with designing and building the first slingshot dragster in 1954, which positioned the driver behind the rear axle to improve traction.

04_1954_Thompson.jpg

Thompson worked with Pat Foster to redesign the Funny Car chassis in 1968 to include such features as a dragster-style roll cage and narrower framerail dimensions. Thompson’s Danny Ongais-driven Mustang Mach 1 Funny Car dominated competition in 1969, and Ongais won the NHRA Springnationals and Nationals that year.

05_1969_thompson01.jpg

Last edited: Oct 21, 2016
  16. loudbang

loudbang

Speaking of Jack Chrisman :rolleyes:

One of NHRA’s biggest stars in the late 1950s and early 1960s, Chrisman picked up two NHRA national event wins and was NHRA’s champion in 1961, putting together a dominant season in which he won nearly every event he entered. Chrisman also campaigned what is widely considered to be the first Funny Car ever, debuting his Comet in 1964.

Chrisman was one of the winners at the inaugural Winternationals, held in 1961 in Pomona. He took home the Top Eliminator title, defeating Tom McEwen in the final.

chrisman-01.jpg

In addition to winning the Winternationals, Chrisman scored victories at several other events during the 1961 season, tallying a near-perfect points score of 550 to earn the NHRA World Champion of Drag Racing title that year.

chrisman-02.jpg

Chrisman picked up his second and final national event win at the 1962 Nationals in Indy. He earned the Top Eliminator trophy when he bested legend Don Garlits in the title round.

chrisman-03.jpg

Chrisman debuted the Sachs & Sons Mercury Comet at the 1964 Nationals, where he ran it in the B/Fuel Dragster class. The sport’s first blown, injected, nitro-burning Funny Car, the Comet laid the foundation for the modern Funny Car.

chrisman-04.jpg

After debuting that first Funny Car, Chrisman continued to experiment and push the envelope in years to come. Among the cars that he put on the track were a flip-top Comet and a Comet roadster, with which he set several records before it blew an engine, caught fire, and burned to the ground.

chrisman-05.jpg

chrisman-06.jpg

17. loudbang

loudbang

And for a change some old gas stations.

gas24.jpg

gas31.jpg

gas41.jpg

gas51.jpg

gas61.jpg

gas71.jpg

gas81.jpg

gas91.jpg

gas101.jpg

gas110.jpg

18. loudbang

loudbang

And more gas stations.

gas111.jpg

gas121.jpg

gas131.jpg

gas141.jpg

gas151.jpg

gas161.jpg

gas171.jpg

gas181.jpg

gas191.jpg

gas211.jpg

gas202.jpg

i.rant, 47ragtop, keef59 and 9 others like this.
  19. ^^^Thanks for the station photos.

You know, until I was five, the first home I lived in, the old man built with his bare hands, using lot's of "free" pallet wood from GM Truck & Bus & with help from his war buddies.

Anyway, it was on a tiny side drive and on the corner of two streets further up was a little gas station - you know the kind - the ones with the building at a 45 to both streets - just enough room for a pair of sedans and a stack of used tires on the side with a chain through them?

All but gone today. In town where I live, remains one such tiny building - at a 45 - on a side street. The pumps are gone, the curbs and all the station trappings, and now its been turned into a nice little rental home.

I keep meaning to take a snap and post it here, but forget every time.

PS: It's on the way to where I get my hair cut at a place called a "barber shop" - which is also fading from the American landscape.

More's the pity.

loudbang and Bubba1955 like this.
  20. Mike

Mike

"All very hush hush and whoosh whoosh..."

21. Samj

Samj

[QUOTE="swi66, post: 11744388, member: 84325"

The buck stops here...

[​IMG]

[/QUOTE]

22. [​IMG]
    Rockaway Beach, Oregon

56longroof, 36 ROKIT, Dave Mc and 2 others like this.
  23. what are we looking at in the foreground? not tomatoes, nursery stock?

24. wutnxt

wutnxt

Been a little change since this shot

25. TheDevilsRide

TheDevilsRide

26. Homemade Candy?:rolleyes:

27. Tomatoes or maybe flowers like dahlias?

tb33anda3rd likes this.
  28. [​IMG]
    Hollywood Lodge #92 is still there and still active. Located at 78 Coolidge Avenue, North Amityville, N.Y. 11701

29. Raiman1959

Raiman1959

My aunt sent me some old trunks a couple weeks ago, from Oregon....my grandfather's stuff apparently, which I've not seen before, that was in the attic hidden away. In an envelope, were these items, which I thought I'd share...I have no clue why he saved the clippings....but, he did....he had a service station on Lombard St. in St. Johns, Portland, Ore. in the 1920's &30's....just thought they were kinda cool from another era: 001.jpg 005.jpg

keef59, gas pumper, loudbang and 5 others like this.
  30. Raiman1959

Raiman1959

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.