Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Home built model A quickchange

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Deadelvis2000, Oct 19, 2016.

1. Deadelvis2000

Deadelvis2000
    from Austin, TX

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg Fellas,
    I've been slogging through making a homemade version of the model A halibrand QC (101) for my roadster and am now on the home stretch. I have one quick question for anyone that may have a lower shaft (the one that passes through the case). What is the
    diameter of the thin part of the shaft where it passes through the the center of the case?
    I've got the two ends splined and the bearing surfaces turned but do not know what a good diameter would be for the middle nine or so inches. I hope I'm making sense.

Attached are a few pics of the process. I haven't taken any pics of the lower shaft but will soon. Thanks in advance.

mgtstumpy, funk 49 and falcongeorge like this.
  2. Mike VV

Mike VV
    from SoCal

Comming from an Aerospace Engineer...
    Two thoughts -
    1. Make it as large as will clear the differential diameter, ring gear, etc.
    2. The very good possibility that it's necked down is for a specific amount of built in torsional twist to help take up shock loads that letting out a clutch suddenly will cause.

I'm not taking mine apart any time soon, but maybe a call to Winters or Speedway Engineering in Ca. might be able to help. I know Speedway was very helpful in modifying my Quick Change for a very reasonable price. Nice people.

Mike

3. ROADSTER1927

ROADSTER1927

I have 2 loose shafts and the center measures .965 and the other is 1" but all you need is clearance plus a little. Gary

4. Deadelvis2000

Deadelvis2000
    from Austin, TX

Ok. That will work. Thanks for taking the time to measure.

5. Deadelvis2000

Deadelvis2000
    from Austin, TX

image.jpg image.jpg Ok. Here is the finished lower shaft. This part took some time as I do not have any reference
    to go by. I am happy with the result. A few more steps and we will be ready for welding this thing together!

mgtstumpy, funk 49 and falcongeorge like this.
  6. Jethro

Jethro
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Nice work! Where did you get the cutter for your splines?

7. Deadelvis2000

Deadelvis2000
    from Austin, TX

I put all of the dimensions of the Ford driveshaft in Solidworks which in turn gave me the angle/floor and overall width that the tool needed. I then had a local shop grind me a tool out of carbide. Popped it in the mill and took 10 thou off per revolution using the dividing head until correct depth was achieved. I first tried it out on some delrin first to get an idea of what we were looking at (see above pic)

bct, funk 49 and falcongeorge like this.
  8. 19Eddy30

19Eddy30
    from VA

Nice , "" Home built in backyard shop "

falcongeorge likes this.
  9. Torana68

Torana68
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Australia

10. Thank you for sharing.

11. brigrat

brigrat
    from Wa.St.

Yep, share more!

12. Jethro

Jethro
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I didn't think it was an off the shelf thing. Sure made the job easier I bet. when I cut mine I had to use two different cutters and several different setups to finish....well done!

13. Binger

Binger
    from wyoming

14. A32or2

A32or2
    from Oregon

Hi Deadelvis 2000

The diameter of a Halibrand 201 V8 lower shaft that passes under the carrier is .875". The lower shaft diameter of my early Culver City Halibrand Model A was even larger at .940". Problem is, the diameter of the Model A carrier is greater than the V8 carrier, and even a standard V8 diameter shaft will interfere with the outside diameter of the Model A carrier, requiring a relief or notch to be machined around the center of the circumference of the carrier. Even so, the shaft will also interfere with the nine 3/8" bolts that hold the ring gear and the carrier halves together, which requires notching the outside diameter of the bolt shanks. With the lower shaft diameter reduced to approximately .850", the carrier and bolt interference is eliminated.

Last edited: Mar 2, 2017