Register now to get rid of these ads!

Project 61F100UNI WilDHair customs

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by 4rod, Aug 28, 2014.

1. Hendee

Hendee

4rod...real nice job on your suspension build and props on using the y-block. Making me wish I had put one back in my '61. Also real nice to see you enjoying your Uni with family. Will keep an eye on your thread.

Just wondered if you had access to another carb from a running yblock or 302? Sometimes maybe easier to sort it by eliminating a bunch of variables on the carb in one swap, just until you know what works for you.

Tom

2. 4rod

4rod

Hendee
    I do have two other carbs both 4160's. Both 600cfm. I torn into the carb last night and replaced the power valve. Also adjusted the float again. We'll see how it runs this am. It's about 34 degrees here ha ha

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

3. Your valve train sounds a little noisey, did you pull the valve covers lately to check the lash? I don't really hear the miss but it it very hard to diagnose problems over the interweb. Wish I could come by and give you a hand in person.

4rod likes this.
  4. 4rod

4rod

Mctim64
    Hey Tim
    I did sent the lashes per your video, but cranking and setting each one. The engine was cold so I set them at .19. I do remember you saying you like to set lashes with stock cam at 15 or 16. You have said that would quiet them down. So that said it's my next adjustment.

5. 4rod

4rod

MCTIM64
    Morning tim, so i set the lashes at .15 last night...wow! what a difference. engine has quieted down alot, also i inspected the carb more and found my accelerator pump diaphragm was leaking and was a source of a major leak. i had an extra one, got that replaced and wow, sure made a difference with response and idle...now i just need to change over the automatic choke to a mechanical or electric. thanks for the help Tim.
    devan

6. Roger53

Roger53

Hi I've gone threw your build for my lunch time reading .Your on your way to having one cool daily driver. Well back to the shop. Roger

4rod likes this.
  7. scrubby2009

scrubby2009

Didn't read too close all previous posts: has the distributor been rebushed? I learned the hard way years ago on a down-n-dirty rebuild on a 292 that I couldn't get to run right. Finally checked dwell under load at 2500-3500RPMs and found that the bushings were shot on the distributor shaft. $10 fix...

8. 4rod

4rod

Wow! Nope didn't even think to check. I'll do it tonight

9. mlake01

mlake01

Following along - sweet build!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4rod likes this.
  10. 4rod

4rod

Well I may have larger problem that adds to all the tuning issues. It appears I'm only running on 7 cylinders. I'll do more checking however may have to pull engine and put new rings in or rebuild the bottom end completely

11. 4rod

4rod

We'll update I found major vac leaks at the drivers side manifold gasket. Changing out this weekend will be updating!!

loudbang likes this.
  12. 4rod

4rod

Okay yes indeed there was issues with the new gaskets I got from summit. The diver side gasket had peeled and rolled at the water jacket and 5th cylinder. The 8th port wasn't sitting right either. Also the 4v carb gasket was busted and I replaced as well. What a difference it makes when you find and fix those issues. In the future I'll check for vac leaks first before anything. I wasted so much time on carb, timing and valves. Their dialed now but having vac leaks throws everything off anyways. Here's pics of the gaskets.

13. 4rod

4rod

chryslerfan55 and loudbang like this.
  14. 4rod

4rod

Today's a sad day...I've had to let the uni go due to $ issues and needing a commuter car asap. The company I work for had moved in January and the old truck just wasn't engine ready for long commutes...I have to say I've learned a lot with this build and the next will run smoothly. However making sacrifices sucks. At least I still have the fords, a 50 sedan and 46 coupe. But letting my shop truck go is a bummer

[​IMG]

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  15. Hendee

Hendee

Sorry to hear it's leaving you. Find it a good home where someone else will carry the torch. You might even get someone else to become a HAMBer in the process.

T

16. 4rod

4rod

Actually I got a call from the buyer and he wants me to finish the body work for him. Ha. So not so bad of a deal.