Register now to get rid of these ads!

Valve Cover Question--Round-Up

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Beep, Apr 3, 2006.

1. seymour

seymour
    from PNW

2. bluthndr

bluthndr

Second that

3. Irish Dan

Irish Dan

Thanks for the visual tour Dude!

4. Gambino_Kustoms

Gambino_Kustoms
    Alliance Vendor

fuck it im gona just run no valve covers at all!

5. That's funny.
    Very well put, but what if you run a sock on either side of your pants?!?

6. WOW,,,,four pages of responses to a simple question. I know that this isn't a record or anything, but as a FNG,,,,,,I'm proud,,,LOL

7. stratocaster

stratocaster

I don't buy the poser/gay/inferiority slams on running Olds valve covers on s.b.c.s. I think they are simply one of the coolest looking covers out there so they get used.I doubt many use them to try to fool anyone.I think it's that simple. What's wrong with baffled zoomies? Maybe you're already hearing impaired and they just don't seem that loud anymore. -Strat.

8. Kev Nemo

Kev Nemo

Dude-you were super aggro this weekend! The argument with the white civic intent on your parking space behind Zen was fucking hilarious ("So I guess we're just gonna stare at each other all night!")
    PS-Kiki is sooo not a Tough guy:D
    PSSS-The Lander ROCKS!

9. Bass

Bass
    from Dallas, TX

Those aren't original Olds valve covers, but the new cast aluminum ones that have been advertised in recent magazines. But you probably already knew that. :cool:

If they were never on an Oldsmobile, they don't say 'Oldsmobile', and they are designed to fit a Small Block Chevrolet, then what is the problem?

Seymour, what exactly is "set right" in a car with adjustable ride height? If the car doesn't actually drive at that height, then who's to say that the carb pad on the intake isn't level when the bags are aired up and it's going down the road?

I understand that everyone hates the Gasmonkey guy, and probably for good reasons. But the hatred just for the sake of hatred gets a little old. He's gay...you don't like his cars? Yeah, we get it.

Sometimes I just don't understand what makes people so mad.

-Brian Bass

10. Plowboy

Plowboy

By the way, all of you "all knowing" olds experts I am quite sure picked up on the fact that I drilled out the holes on mine so I could put in one size larger bolts with bigger acorn nuts.

Of course, I didn't have to point that out to the REAL olds guys now did I? :rolleyes:

It is quite as obvious at the fact that it was a Chevy motor.

11. bluebrian

bluebrian
    from dallas

I am the one that did the frankenstein job on those "olds" valve covers. Like brian said, they are cast. I have been welding for years now and can do a damn fine job welding sheet aluminum. Welding sheet aluminum to a poorly cast, knock off, valve cover. Well, thats a different story.

If you have ever welded cast aluminum, you will know that sometimes there are impurities and imperfections that will greatly effect the weld. These valve covers had quite a few of those and made it hard for the weld to remain clean.

They were butchered because they didnt clear the 1.6 rockers. So to get them to fit I did the Frankenstein job. It may not be preety, but it works. I would have rather used the removed peice and massaged it in all nice and smooth. But that wasn't my call.

Do they work? Yes. Do i think they look crappy? Yes.

As for the motors being set right. I think Bass cleared that up as well.

And just because the car has a part that is made correctly on it, doesnt mean gas monkey didnt make it. Richard doesnt build the cars. He owns the shop. When i worked there I made many parts and am proud of the quality of work I did. I also think the other people that have worked there or continue to do so, do fine work.

I don't want or like the Gas Monkey drama, so thats why I never post about it. I Just want to respond when it affects work I personally did.

-b

12. old kid

old kid
    Member Emeritus
    from middle ga

Kelvinator

13. seymour

seymour
    from PNW

Touche. Moot point, but I don't remember seeing those cars driving with the front higher than the rear.

It's not the guy I don't like, it's the cars. :cool:

14. bluebrian

bluebrian
    from dallas

Oh well then thats fair. I didn't say i liked them all to much either. I was just defending the work I did on them.

ok, back to your regularly scheduled valve cover argument.

15. 1/4 Chub

1/4 Chub

Hey... it a valve cover thing you would'nt understand!:D

16. Rusty

Rusty

LAst time i looked at the clip in your car it sure looked wrong. I mean who would clip a car to still be 4 wheel driving. LMAO. HMMMMM.

GASMONKEY is the TITS!! He is making money and having fun. He dont give a shit and lives life to its fullest.

17. seymour

seymour
    from PNW

Lol :D It's clipped? hhaha

18. Rusty

Rusty

Richard may not even like them, I dont know, you would have to ask him. All I know is they are customer built cars and brought triple didgets. So go figure. Something must be rite about it. Would i drive them??? Probably not, just not my style. With that said this is his business and he could care less what he likes it is what the customer wants.

19. Dude, you have to meet my friend Mullet Jeff in Grayslake. Molester mustache, greasy blond 'Tennessee Waterfall,' bong on the tool cabinet, a stack of Warrant and 38 Special cassettes, and a garage full of bitchin' Camaros.

"That's what I like about high school girls... I keep gettin' older and they keep stayin' the same age."

20. I used to stick a couple of socks in my Speedo before going to the beach, and I'm telling you, the chicks would really give me the eye. Eventually, one of them approached me, and explained the socks were supposed to go in front.

falcongeorge likes this.
  21. krupanut

krupanut

I think I know those two guys.;)
    Significance?

My Elelbrocks went upside down when I put a new carb on my motor and my Offy angle breathers didn't clear the new carb. Had to turn em around to the outside.

The Fentons on the 303 rocket in the Black Dahlia are actually cast upside down! They only fit one way on the olds motor. Weird.

22. seymour

seymour
    from PNW

That's how it's done in TEXAS! hahaa

23. classic gary

classic gary

Well, well, well, I guess I'm a gay , faker, with a small, well you know where I'm going with that. I didn't even know all that was possible till I read this thread. I put Lincoln valve covers on the 283 in my '28 ford. And it was fun. You don't know how many wannabe car guy/hotrodders, looked at the engine, found me somewhere else in the car show grounds and wanted to congratulate me on putting a Lincoln in my A. I'd thank them, then tell 'me how little mods it took to put the covers on my chevy. Some would get pissed off, most knew where I was coming from. I LIKE the Lincoln covers over all the belly button sbc covers out there.
    And no I'm not gay or a faker. I built that car with my greasy hands and dripped a bit of blood.

24. classic gary

classic gary

Oh, by the way, the guy that bought my A, asked me to remove the Lincoln covers and install Corvette covers. He bought my car............

25. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

A friend of mine has a really nice 56 ford Victoria custom with SBF. Last I saw it he had T-Bird y-block VC's on. He smiled and how do you those? I'll ask him where he got them. They are adapter plates with a strap to use the stock acorn nuts.

26. metalman

metalman

10 year old thread. geez.

27. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

and about a stupid subject to boot...I have olds valve covers on my olds, chevy valve covers on my chevy, and ford valve covers on my ford...and I don't stuff socks in my pants:rolleyes:

jeffd1988 likes this.
  28. classic gary

classic gary

Yeah, I know. I only just saw it last night and felt compelled To say something. And see, even in ten years, things haven't changed.

29. BJR

BJR

The socks aren't argyle anymore!

falcongeorge likes this.