Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage TROG WEST

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by LBCD, Sep 28, 2016.

1. Binger

Binger
    from wyoming

Great pictures! Thanks for sharing!

2. WiredSpider

WiredSpider

Yes,I thought it thru.Most of the cars trailered were not purpose built race cars but street cars.
    You are all beginning to act like the hi end street rodders with the trailered cars
    I thought the point was to drive them.

3. Blues4U

Blues4U
    from So Cal

They did drive them, on the beach....

Where were you?

4. WiredSpider

WiredSpider

I was at home being productive.
    I just don,t see the point of trailering a street car there just to drive a mile or two on a beach.

5. LBCD

LBCD

All TROG cars are race cars and I bet a few that live in the 805 might have drove there car there without trailering it.....maybe ;)
    Sure It would be cool to see the Barillaro belly tanker or the Navarro roadster speeding down PCH but I'm guessing no...i bet some of these cars don't have current registration let alone headlights and breaklights.
    The point is to get your car from 2000 miles away to an awesome event safely.....they are race cars.
    Once again I will say it was an amazing weekend...just imagine if the weather cooperated what could have been....can't wait until next time!

*******Thanks for all the pics from everyone that chimed in...

Sent from my QMV7A using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Blues4U and j3harleys like this.
  6. j3harleys

j3harleys

My family is Still out there. They are in Bakersfield now, staying for the reunion. Wish I could have went but somebody had to stay and take care of things. Oh ya they do have 4 cars on a trailer. May not be traditional enough for some but they are there and having fun. Pretty hard to be totally traditional in this fast paced world. But they are there. Just sayin

lbcd and Blues4U like this.
  7. LBCD

LBCD

Your family owns some amazing cars!!!! We were diggin seeing them come and go at the hotel parking lot!!!

Sent from my QMV7A using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

8. j3harleys

j3harleys

Come to Colorado for the dirt drags or the hill climb next year and I'll bet I can get your son a trip up the hill or a run down the strip.

lbcd likes this.
  9. dearjose

dearjose

You're right. You completely missed the point.

verde742, Katuna and DesmoDog like this.
  10. uncle buck

uncle buck

Different strokes for different folks. You didn't miss this event and they didn't miss you.
    At the end of the weekend, you may have enjoyed your weekend and most everybody at
    TROG enjoyed their weekend.

lbcd and j3harleys like this.
  11. Rex_A_Lott

Rex_A_Lott

Thanks for posting all the pics!:) Its a shame about the rain, but those folks been in a drought for a while, I know they were glad to see it. I have some friends down the road in Nipomo, maybe I can visit next year and take in the races to boot.

lbcd likes this.
  12. quidnunc

quidnunc
    from pittsburgh

I've waded through most if not all of the coverage I could find. IMO you have the best coverage by far. Thanks for posting, I know it takes a lot of time and effort and I really appreciate it.

verde742, Blues4U and lbcd like this.
  13. deucendude

deucendude
    from norcal

Entry rules included, No fenders, no lights, authentic vintage parts only. So you want me to drive my car 300 miles like that? Most of the cars were built for vintage speed events not Highway use! This was a small moment in time that a lot of people will remember their whole lives.

Stogy, Blues4U, lbcd and 1 other person like this.
  14. The37Kid

The37Kid

Thanks to all who posted photos, and all of you who brought a car or bike to the event. Bob

lbcd likes this.
  15. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

There were several cars that had taped over head lights but most of them were of the very early rigs like Mr Model T's 27. I''m not sure how that one got relaxed. The other thing is that if your car doesn't fit their criteria for participating there is a long list of cars that do and if they have a second race on the West you can bet that there will be far more wanting to run.
    I talked to one gent who may be a Hamber who's car got turned down but he brought it down anyhow for show and tell and from what I could see the very shiny radiator fan shroud may have been the deal breaker. On that car it stuck out like a sore thumb and would stick out and be highly visible to anyone seeing the car or watching the race.
    On Saturday since the tide was high to start with and the storm had pushed more water in they never had enough beach showing to have a return road close to the water as they do back east and it was run several rigs down and parade back and then run more down and parade back and that took a far amount of extra time but was great for those of us lining the barrier beside the course as we got in more action shots of the cars and bikes coming back at a slower and easier to shoot pace. I couldn't tell you if every car that was in the staging area ran. There seemed to be some cars there that I didn't see run but they may have made a pass or two while I was running my wife back to the motel as she got too wet and miserable or when I was waiting for about 40 minutes to buy T shirts when I got back.. Idiots that stood in line for as long as I did and then didn't have a clue as to what they wanted or what size they needed slowed that down something terrible (that was male and female). At any rate you only have so much time when there is enough sand showing after the tide goes out to race before the tide comes back in and covers it back up again. Couple that with the simple fact that the available weekend may not have the best tide times or heights further hinders things and limits the number of runs and the number of vehicles.

lbcd and j3harleys like this.
  16. LBCD

LBCD

I saw on another thread that Pismo may not have the race again which is a bummer. Maybe the organizers would be into substituting sand for dirt at El Mirage

[​IMG]

Sent from my SCH-I535 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Blues4U, 30tudor and j3harleys like this.
  17. D.N.D.

D.N.D.
    Member Emeritus

I don't think the BLM would let that many people on the dry lake bed and drag style standing starts either

18. 51504bat

51504bat
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

lbcd likes this.
  19. LBCD

LBCD

Oregon sounds good...what months does it not rain up there? Thanks just a joke haha!

I'd make the trip! Good idea!

Sent from my SCH-I535 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

20. deucendude

deucendude
    from norcal

Yeah there were cars in the upper staging area that were not race cars. Even a VW. They kinda of got in the way. I can attribute all the technical problems with the STORM. It's that simple. They did a better job than I thought possible. My friends walked down to the beach about 9:30 and the thought there was no way anyone would race given the conditions. Great job!

21. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

That works for me:p

bako48 likes this.