Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Beware of Craig's List scam

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by El Pratt, Oct 19, 2016.

1. El Pratt

El Pratt

I found this 40 Ford on Craig's List this morning...as the saying goes, if it's too good to be true, it probably isn't. Long story short...this is a scam. Thought I should share it with you all so you're aware that this type of thing is now happening. Don't fall for it!

First of all, here's the link to the Craig's List ad: https://austin.craigslist.org/cto/5835758559.html

After contacting the owner, she emailed me and that's when my suspicions grew as she said she was selling the car through Amazon...something I had never heard of before. I contacted Amazon, and they confirmed it is a scam. Damn! I wanted that car!!

Here's what her email said:

My 1940 Ford Deluxe 2 Door Sedan ,original 221 Cubic Inch Flathead V8 Engine,Non-smoker,is still for sale. It has 28k miles.3 Speed Manual, clear title. The price was reduced at $5000 as I need to sell it before October 24th, when I'll be leaving with my unit Brigade Combat Team back to South Korea replacing the troops scheduled to come home. The deal includes free delivery as you may know we can ship a car/bike/etc from home to the base and back one time in a year for free. The vehicle will arrive at your address in 48hrs so my presence it's not necessary cause I have everything arranged with Amazon . You will have 5 days testing period before I receive any money and if by any reason you find something you don't like about, you can send it back on my expense and you will receive a full refund of your money. It is located in Ft. HOOD, Texas..

If you're interested in purchasing it, all I need from you is your full name, phone# and shipping address and Amazon will contact you shortly after I forward them your contact details.
    More photos at: http://imgur.com/a/elP8T

Moriarity likes this.
  2. For 5gs I bet you did

3. I wonder if those pics are hers?Looks like more than a 5k ford to me.Last year I saw the same wording on a too good to be true deal on a travel trailer.Maube some Austin folks can check it out.

4. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

In 2010, my bud Bob Wilson called me up, asked if I wanted a running Model B 5 window Coupe, original and running. (I had seen the car, it was an original RUNNING 'survivor'. Original black paint, faded from years here in the valley...original Mohair interior, original 17" wheels.
    Four thousand. Firm.
    I didn't believe him, so I passed. The elder gent soon passed, and the car got snapped up by a guy we knew. 4K.
    I was shocked. Also resentful. I used to track down every rumor...

5. That ad SCREAMS scam.

Mr Large and jeffd1988 like this.
  6. JOECOOL

JOECOOL

A couple of years ago I received the same thing only the guy was in Alaska. It was a nice $2000 57 Chevy . he wanted me to send him the money and he would put the car in an Air Force plane and have it delivered to me. He justified it as he was in charge of shipping for the whole base. I got back with him and told him my best friend was A Light Colonel in Charge of Security at that base and I would just have him come over to the shipping office and pay him in person. Something must have happened he never contacted me again.

1927graham likes this.
  7. I'm a Craigslist junky, love to "window shop" for old cars and bikes. More than a few times, there's been a deal like that, and the same exact pic appears in several different states, different contact info, same day. Each time vintage cars. Weird scam. Good thing I never have any $.

8. Anyway they can get your hard earned $$$$ these dirt bags will find some new scam...

9. About 40K shy of a min asking price...

40 ford scam.jpg

10. Roadsir

Roadsir

There's a lot of those on CL. Sometimes the descriptions are partial, robbed off ebay etc. See the same cars from state to state.

11. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

Here's the secret to thwart scams.............. "plain old common sense". Works every time. In fact, it works so well, that when someone falls for a scam, I have zero sympathy for the victim. It's 2016, guys. Even the scammers can't believe there are suckers falling for this shit.

Moving along.

Truck64, mad mikey, czuch and 11 others like this.
  12. funny....it has a phone #.....210 area code......anyone ever hear of Fort Hood ?

13. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

I've seen that same scam on a lot of different cars. They usually play on the "I'm in the military and I'm going overseas for X amount of time and must sell my car." They always mention the free shipping----MAJOR RED FLAG!!!! And who ever heard of getting a car shipped to you and you have 5 days before you have to pay for it----ANOTHER RED FLAG! If you decided in 5 days you didn't want it, that is if it ever arrived in your driveway, which it won't, they would have to get it shipped back to them. Nobody is that stupid, but they prey on that part of human nature that makes you think you are getting a steal, when the only one doing the stealing is the scammer!

clunker and Andamo like this.
  14. LBCD

LBCD

Fort Hood is in Texas...for some reason these shit heads like pretending to be US military both selling and buying...and they always give way too much info about their private life lol.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

LostBoy, clunker and jeffd1988 like this.
  15. They do the same scam when you are selling. They will pay with paypal and have the car boat what ever picked up by a Shipping company. My wife called paypal and they will hold large amounts of money for up to 20 days. Well they get the item and tell paypal it never showed and get there money back. Paypal is always on the side of buyer. Paypal told my wife not to do it. I'm always selling and buying on Craigslist this is always going on. I just flag the ad. My favorite is when they text my phone with a email address and want to communicate with email. I always reply FIND A NEW SUCKER.

mad mikey and jeffd1988 like this.
  16. jeffd1988

jeffd1988

Both way scammer. On cl buying or selling. If it not face to face. Leave it be

17. cretin

cretin

Selling a car through Amazon is definitely a new one to me.
    So, now I'm curious as to how this scam works. She says send that info, then Amazon will contact you.
    Then they must send you some email that looks like it's an official email from Amazon with some link to pay, you send payment because you think Amazon is holding your money for 5 days? Or does it work some other way?

LostBoy and drylakespeedshop like this.
  18. battersea boys

battersea boys
    from surrey

Always ask if the giggle stick has been lubricated.
    That will tell you if it's a scam

19. anytime i see a craigslist ad like this i google image search the images, they usually show up for sale somewhere else,

20. Rust, How do you do that?

21. cshades

cshades
    from wi

My gf was looking for a gooseneck horse trailer and she found one on CL for a decent price.
    She emailed the seller and he told her that he was in a town about 1 1/2 hours from here. She said great my kid is in college in that town(which he is) and I will come look at it this weekend when I pick him up from school. He replied back that the trailer was in another state but if she wanted to pay for it he would have it shipped to her. I told her it was scam and she should play with him for a bit. So she emailed him back and said she had a friend in the area that the trailer was supposedly in and she could have the friend come and look at it and pay for it. I don't how many times that trailer moved but it had to been worn out before he gave up on excuses and talking to her.

22. F.O.G

F.O.G
    from Pacific,Mo

Same scam In Utah except it was a guy in the Air Force selling his Ford truck before he was
    deployed(somewhere), it was a great truck in the pics but was a total scam. Ebay removed the
    ad and banned the poster, if that is possible. As stated "if it looks too good....."

23. mike in tucson

mike in tucson
    from Tucson

my 39 Ford coupe showed up on Ebay using pics that the former owner had used in his original ad. I should have waited to buy, scam ad price was much cheaper!

24. Mr Large

Mr Large

I also had a Craigslist scam about buying my Harley, the buyer was in such a rush to send me money he even offered to send a PayPal link for me to fill out, glad I didn't respond, but I can imagine how many people fall for this garbage.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

25. Hookedtrout

Hookedtrout
    from East Idaho

I would also like to know how you google an image search?

26. When selling you get the over seas on a base. Never ask a question about the item just go into I need your address so I can set up a Shipper and your paypal account. I was selling my thousand dollar john boat (so I could buy car parts:D) nothing special 6hp engine trolling motor I had a guy from New Mexico I live in Wisconsin how in the world dose that make any sense. But the buyer told me there wouldn't be any problems :rolleyes:. Always end the same way with me cash in hand or go pound sand.

27. dicer2000

dicer2000

I've had similar "military moving" scams ran on me too. I simply ask for their command officer's name and number to verify. If it's a scam, you won't hear from them again.

28. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

This isn't a rub on our service men and women, active or separated from the service, but a lot of scams lately are pulling on the patriotic harp strings. I was selling a HD over the summer on CL and received two different scams from "service men" oversees looking forward to cooing home and riding their Harley. Both used a local person to facilitate the deal and pick up the bike (at full price no less).

Caveat Emptor / Caveat Venditor Listen to that little Latin voice in your head when buying or selling. I work too hard for my money to be separated from it on a scam.

On a positive note, I just got an email saying that someone wants to split their lottery jackpot with me! Easiest $467,000 I ever made. They just need my bank account info so I gotta go.

lurker mick, Hnstray and clem like this.
  29. I'm sure 10,000 people will jump on me for this, but I'd NEVER buy ANYTHING on Craigslist. Don't even look at it.
    WHY?
    It's full of liars, crooks and scammers. I personally know two people that were selling stereos and parts that were robbed at gunpoint after giving out their address to "buyers". How many times have you read about Craigslist being tied to some sort of crime, from murder to fraud.
    I'll pass thanks. Plenty of legit places for CAR STUFF, why look at Craigslist?

kiwijeff likes this.