Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical About Selling Used Parts

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by bobg1951chevy, Oct 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. olscrounger

olscrounger
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Have sold many items on Ebay with minimal issues. Have sold items on here to Hambers and have just sent the item on their word before payment with no issues as well. Got personal checks, money orders etc--all good.

bobg1951chevy likes this.
  2. As an buyer from overseas my vote goes for Paypal. I have done well over thousand transactions and it doesn't get any smoother. I don't miss them days twenty years ago when I had to send money orders over the pond and wait couple of months wether the item arrives on a boat or not. World has become so much smaller that way, parts and knowledge are always present when needed. U.S banks are from prewar era with their wire transfers, or lack of it. To be honest personal checks were used in the 70's here, after that no need, everything is electronic.

Whenever money is used, crooks are awake and always have. The rising amount of scammers and bullshitters have done so much harm already, not only to people they managed to rob but scaring others. Local pick up only, cash only, how frustrating. Within a week I have tried to contact over a dozen sellers about engines I want. Nine out of ten do not reply emails or answer the phone, do not call back. Two emails with zero info oneliner reply, one thinks assisting with truck Freight within US is too challenging, and cash only. I have sent personal message to local hamber requesting help with one case, no answer at all. When the homebase is located like mine one always has to walk the extra mile and take risk obtaining parts priced reasonably. So all I can wish is when seller places the for sale ad, answer the f*****g phone, read and reply emails. Lazy bastards I need my horsepower so set up your PayPal now and stop whining :p

Last edited: Oct 18, 2016
  3. From the 90 posts written here, I get the idea that the whining begins when the buyer complains to PayPal, then PayPal refunds the buyers money, with no regard for the seller who has now lost his money and his part.

4. Squablow

Squablow

Paypal does not just instantly give a buyer their money back as soon as they complain. There is a system. If they bought the part through eBay, they have to talk to eBay, and eBay makes the buyer at least contact the seller first. Most deals gone bad can be worked out at that point.

It's unlikely a scammer is going to be targeting 235 Chevy parts anyway. Selling an Iphone or a laptop computer is different. They're not going to bother to try to scam some old car parts, and even if they wanted to, it's not THAT easy.

I've sold close to a half million dollars worth of old car parts through eBay and accepting Paypal and I have yet to be swindled. A few buyers bitched about condition and got their money back, but that's not really being scammed, just a bad sale. If you're honest about the stuff you're selling, you'll do fine, and Paypal is not that scary.

Or you can squirrel all of your parts away until you die and your grandkids can pay someone to haul it off, that's always an option. A pretty popular option, too. I'd bet $1 that happens more often than eBay/PayPal scams for old car parts.

loudbang and FinnishFireball like this.
  5. Flathead Dave

Flathead Dave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from So. Cal.

Hello, Tax Payer. I am of name Sir Rodney Obama of India. I am in the employ of the United States of the Internal Revenue and Services. I am to advise you that you owe for to the Internal Revenue and Services of the United States, of $25,000 in your backs of taxes. You can now remit of at least 1% of your required backs of taxes via a Walmart Gifts Card or of a Starbuckses Gifts Card. Please see it as noted, that the Internal Revenue and Services of the United States do not accept payment via Pay Please Pal. If you also has any qwestiuns to this matters, please feel it to be free to contact of the Internal Revenue and Services of the United States and to pleases has the code of numbers from the backs of your gifts cards ready.

Thanks to you in advances of the many wives of which that I has,

Sir Rodney Obama of India.

Last edited: Oct 18, 2016
    Squablow likes this.
  6. Who is Wal Mart? Is he a new candidate in the U.S. Election?
    Beware any transaction where someone offers "gift vouchers" for payment.
    I don't think you can use them to pay for your power bill, and scammers do a roaring trade in phoney cards, they just need a good printer.

7. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

I am always willing to use Paypal, unfortunately there are a lot of hillbillies in the US who think the only way to sell something is to wait for someone to come to their door with a roll of bills, a truck, and load everything up without the seller lifting a finger.

FinnishFireball likes this.
  8. Squablow

Squablow

Those are the best people to buy from. They don't want to fuck with it, so they sell it all to me and I resell it and keep the difference. Some of those guys think they should get the same price as the guys who are willing to take payment and ship packages and whatnot, but most of them are nice enough people who just don't want to deal with the work.

It's a good business for those who aren't afraid to put in the effort.

9. Gman0046

Gman0046

Sold an item today on the HAMB Classifieds. Received payment via Pay Pal in minutes.
    Sure glad I didn't have to go to Walmart to cash one of their gift cards to buy some junk made in China.

Gary

10. Hombre

Hombre
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Got a news flash for you there O'Toole, Not everyone in the "STATES" is a hillbilly. And if it is there stuff they damn sure get to make the choice as to how they get paid for it. Maybe in Canada the buyer gets to choose all the details of the sale, but down here us un washed Americans get a choice.

11. dirty old man

dirty old man
    Member Emeritus

Rusty, I think you shit in your mess kit on this one.

12. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I live in a city of 830,000, work in a city of 1,200,000, all surrounded by a greater metroplex of about 20,000,000.

I sell local, only, period. Cash, no trades. My companion is ex-IDF special forces, and we are both armed.

Zero issues.

bobg1951chevy and 47ragtop like this.
  13. David Gersic

David Gersic
    from DeKalb, IL

Or the modified version where the buyer waits until the PayPal protest deadline passes, then files a protest with his credit card company. CC reverses the charge to PayPal, and PayPal yanks it from you.

A friend is out $4K because a buyer did this to him. Kept the stuff, got his 4 grand back.

So, like I said. Use PayPal, but decide what your personal loss limit is, and stay under it. Withdraw cash. A check or electronic transfer can be rolled back on you. Cash can't.

Sent from my iPad using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

14. Myself and every one of my relatives is of Canadian decent, I would comfortably describe every one of us as a hillbilly. (We are french though, so I'm sure that's not a surprise, oui? Tabernac!)

15. racer_dave

racer_dave

on anything big I use PayPal for the deposit and pay the balance in cash or bank transfer. Why- because I'm not forking over anything more than 2K without laying hands on what I'm buying. for anything less I use PayPal or Postal Money orders. I'd never take a gift card. My car finances are separate from house/living expenses. So if I sell parts that cash is earmarked for my next car part purchase and they don't carry that at walmart.

16. A friend and I were talking about selling parts online. He told me about Wal Mart money transfer. Its not Money Gram or a gift card you get CASH. with no requirment to spend it at Wal Mart. The money is there within minutes. Said he has used it for some time with no problems.and almost everyone goes to Wal mart.

17. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Nope. Nobody I know will set food in that place.

clunker and pat59 like this.
  18. It is kinda helping the country into an early grave, by our own hand.

32 Ford

Bias-ply tires forever

(Just threw those last two in as a distraction so I wouldn't get in trouble)

gimpyshotrods likes this.
  19. Hombre

Hombre
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Come on guys what is this Walmart bashing day? I have never ever set foot into a Walmart, not because I am opposed to doing business with them ( I am not) but there stores are just to "BIG" and way to many people for this old country boy.

Now with that said I am pretty sure that Walmart is not going to be the end of the world as we know it, because they are successful. A quick search on the net brought up there profits for last year. Walmart makes 40 million a DAY in profits. That was profit and not gross sales by the way. So they must be doing something right.

Speedys Garage likes this.
  20. dirty old man

dirty old man
    Member Emeritus

I also don't like Walmart and only go there when I can't find what I want/need elsewhere locally. And that's getting difficult with all the Mom & Pop stores closing up because they don't have the volume buying power to compete price wise with Walmart. But aren't we getting a little too far off topic?

Speedys Garage likes this.
  21. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

this is getting a little too political, how about we talk about traditional hot rods and customs???

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.