Register now to get rid of these ads!

Art & Inspiration VINTAGE ICE CHEST USED FOR STORAGE OR BATTERY BOXS

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by HOTRODPRIMER, Oct 14, 2016.

1. I've seen them used tastefully on traditional cars for storage,battery boxes and cleanup supply's,they are usually seen in pickup beds,do you use one for any of these purposes?

I have a old vintage metal Pepsi box that I use for tools,oil and clean up stuff.HRP

2. upspirate

upspirate

I have an old metal no-script ice chest that my parents used for camping in the '50's . I used it as my tool box in the early '70's. I was going to E-bay it for the hardware , but decided to keep it , restore it and use it for a battery box in the trunk of an "A" coupe

HOTRODPRIMER and AVater like this.
  3. I remember saving this photo of ME.GASSERS Willys pickup,I remember he said it was his battery box. HRP

[​IMG]

ME.GASSER likes this.
  4. AVater

AVater
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. Connecticut HAMB'ers

Missed out on an old 7 up cooler a few weeks back for this purpose but picked up an old tin trunk last weekend to put in the bed of my new project to serve as battery and tool box.

Seems to make sense to me.

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.

5. I tried to use the ice chest to keep my favorite beverages cool and to a certain extent the old coolers will do that but but because they are mwtal and the old rock wool they used as insulation they sweat profusely and will soak the carpet in your car. HRP

AVater and upspirate like this.
  6. AVater

AVater
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. Connecticut HAMB'ers

HRP--sometimes its amazing what we don't miss!

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  7. I used a vintage Chevorlet trunk in the bed of my old deuce and it worked great. HRP

Picture044-vi.jpg Picture138-vi.jpg

8. tim troutman

tim troutman

my f1 bat box

Attached Files:

9. Looks good. HRP

[​IMG]

10. paintman27

paintman27
    from new jersey

Heres what i'm working on for my 46. Just stripped the 20 coats of used motor oil off the boards....
    [​IMG][/URL]

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  11. I guess using vintage ice chest for battery's or storage is not as popular as I originally thought,the several I have are sorely lacking when it comes to their original intent.

The ones I have get so much condensation on the outside as the ice rapidly melts I won't put it in the car,it will soak the carpet. HRP

12. I plan on running one for my battery box in the trunk of my 37

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  13. Ralphies54

Ralphies54

54 ford 2015 005.JPG Here's one in the truck I just sold. Wopked like a charm, much easier than under floor 54 ford 2015 005.JPG

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  14. Not an ice chest, but it is a vintage chest. I have my fuel cell and cleaning supplies in there, I do like the idea of a vintage ice chest might use that on the 37 Plymouth I'm building. Hobo Jim

IMG_2379.JPG

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  15. I picked up a reproduction ice chest at Restoration Hardware in the mall, of all places. It was on clearance, and I was going to use it as a battery box in the trunk of the '37 Plymouth. Well, never got the project finished, and sold the car. Now I use it as a cooler when I go to shows. Pack it with re-useable freezer packs, so I don't know about the condensation issue. I need to come up with something for the roadster pickup, but I would miss my cooler. Back to the drawing board....

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  16. IMG_1383.JPG
    Don't have a picture of mine, but I stole this pic off the internet. Looks pretty much like mine. It's even the same color.

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  17. barryvanhook

barryvanhook
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Mesa, AZ

IMG_0266.JPG I hate to disappoint the folks looking for innovative applications, but this one goes in the trunk at shows/runs and is filled with my beer, diet Coke for Corliss, and lunch. It doesn't seem to sweat and the beer is Kilt Lifter ... certainly not Falstaff.

18. Mmmmm, I approve of your choice of beer. I'm originally from the Phoenix area, and occasionally go back to visit family. Visiting family necessitates drinking, and I have enjoyed more than a few kilt lifters. Nice cooler, too. :)

barryvanhook and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  19. I use mine for the revolutionary storage of sandwhich fixins whilst at Bonneville ;)

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  20. bobo

bobo
    from New Jersey

21. bobo

bobo
    from New Jersey

1935 Ford trunk battery box

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  22. Wow,that is a interesting cooler/battery box, Did you modify the front of the box to open? HRP

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

23. I'm thinking you should still have some kind of venting for the battery box, shouldn't you? :confused:

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  24. Possibly but the vast majority of the battery's used today are sealed and don't require a lot of ventilation. HRP

loudbang likes this.
  25. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

AGM battery's like that EXIDE in post 22 (very cool by the way HRP) don't need venting.

loudbang and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  26. bobo

bobo
    from New Jersey

Modified box inorder to remove the battery out the front. Welded a hinge after cutting the front 3/4 the way down and cut sides so when it's closed it looks original. The vent is out the bottom of the box. Quick paint job and new decal and it's done.

27. Now that is cool Nice Job!!

loudbang and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  28. Kiwi 4d

Kiwi 4d
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

A very English way. An old tea box in our 32 3W. Perfect size.
    And a home made cooler battery box to fit in our 49 shoebox coupe.
    20161020_133158.jpg 20161020_133107.jpg

29. That wooden box is amazing. HRP

30. Fourdy

Fourdy

My Frostie box.

Fourdy

Attached Files:

HOTRODPRIMER and loudbang like this.